The Elf of Luxembourg by Tom Weston

The Elf of Luxembourg (2009)

by Tom Weston

Take an elf, vampires and a mermaid and combine them with Luxembourg history. Add two teen girls and mix gently and you've got a fantastic story that is guaranteed to keep you entertained. "The Elf of Luxembourg" is a fantastic young adult novel that weaves history, humor and the paranormal all together and creates a novel that's hard to put down.

I enjoyed everything about this book, from the history lessons of Luxembourg, to the beautiful black and white photos, the interesting quotes, and the fascinating storyline. Mr. Weston has an interesting way of presenting things. I quote from his introduction: "Therefore consider the narrative to be a fictional account of real events, except for those chapters which pass for real accounts of fictional events. I hope this distinction helps." This quote really shows the feel of the book and playfulness of the author, making it a fun and very interesting read.

The characters were interesting. The elf was a charming character that you can't help but like. The main characters were teen sisters, Alex and Jackie, are both so very different. Their differences made them quite real and ended up being an important part to the storyline.

This book is the second in the Alex and Jackie adventure series, but is certainly able to be read as a stand-alone with no feeling that one has missed anything. I really enjoyed this book and certainly want to read the other books in the series.

If you would like to read them in order, the first Alex and Jackie adventure is: "First Night: Being a Ghost Story". Mr. Weston is currently working on the third installment. ( )
  tweezle | May 25, 2010 |
It's not all fun fairs and ice-cream in Luxembourg. Here there is a certain standard to maintain, and vacationing with Elves and Vampires is just too old school. But can Alex convince her younger sister, Jackie, of that? Nope, of course not. Because beneath the ancient city of Luxembourg there lies a secret. The Vampires believe it is protected by The Elf. However The Elf has different ideas... Can Alex and Jackie fulfill the prophecy and end the war between The Elf and the Vampires before it is too late?

My Review:
This story was fun- a true young adult adventure full of intriguing, fun characters. This is the first time I've been introduced to Alex & Jackie and it was an enjoyable ride. I had fun taking an adventure through Luxembourg with the girls and meeting the townies. The characters were cunning and full of witty repertoire. This book goes back and forth between the ancient, tragic journey of Cuchaquicha and the current day happenings of both Alex & Jackie.

Make sure you're on your toes and paying attention- it is a bit confusing to read. This is both good and bad- I felt as if someone was personally speaking to me and telling me a story rather than something more formal- I love that. However, I truly wished there was more story on the Alex & Jackie adventure and less Cuchaquicha. Cucha made the story seem a little dry at times although his story was intriguing and incredibly sad. I found myself skimming through Cucha's parts quickly to get to Alex & Jackie. I was dying to find out what those two would get into next... Who wouldn't, though? Ancient elves, vampires, prophecy and two pretty blondes? Sounds good to me!

Now, I haven't read the first Alex & Jackie adventure- First Night, but I do intend to. I can't wait to find out if Weston's writing style in this book accurately reflects the writing in First Night. I'm not a huge fan of the overwhelming geographical and historical facts on Cuchaquicha, but if you can drudge through those parts it is well worth it once you get to the fictional story.

I hope Weston decides to give Alex & Jackie more adventures. But if you're looking for an easy, quick read- look else where. As refreshing and fun as The Elf of Luxembourg is, I suggest it to those who like an educational adventure story. ;) ( )
  rexrobotreviews | May 12, 2010 |
-As a Muica, living in South America and preparing for one of the most important ceremonies of his people, Cuchaquicha was horrified to find that the Spanish Conquistadors had invaded their lands and kidnapped both his wife and his son during the ceremony. Only having them in mind, Cucha set off on a trip that would take him to Luxembourg all because the vampires wanted the secret to finding El Dorado (the city of gold) and the vampire named Meadow thought that Cucha could draw out the elf that was the Guardian. - 400 years later - As Alex and Jackie set off on vacation to see their Aunt and Uncle in the town of Luxembourg the plan was to do some shopping and enjoy their time there. The sisters did take the time to learn a little of the languages, one chose a few phrases of French while the other a few words of German, but that didn’t help with the too expensive shops that they had intended on visiting. Exploring the rich cultural, religious and mythical history of the area was how they ended up spending their days. Touring the area, the museums and the churches proved to be more interesting after meeting a man named Sergio who seemed to know a lot about the history of Luxembourg.

When I got this book, I didn’t know that Alex and Jackie had other adventures - so this was all new to me. Parts of the book read like a history lesson, parts of the book read like a geography book, parts of the book read like a tour guide. I really enjoyed the fictional story, the vampires, the elf, the mermaid but I didn’t think there was enough of the fiction in the book to make it as fun as it could have been. I didn’t read the first adventure (which I later found out was called ‘First Night‘), so I can’t say that it is the writers style or just this one book. I felt that for a fiction, there should have been less concentration on the accuracy of the history and geography (while accuracy is important, it just didn’t need to be so thorough for a fiction novel) and more on the characters (unless you want to count Luxembourg as a characters - which I don’t). I had trouble getting into the story because of the use of the foreign (to me) languages and use of a lot of names of both past and present people that weren‘t actually important to the story. This is a good adventure if you have the ability to sludge through the facts to get to the fiction, but my mind doesn’t work well at that especially when I wanted a fictional adventure story, so I struggled with this one a bit. ( )
  onyx95 | Apr 25, 2010 |
ISBN: 978-1-981-94134-9
Pages: 290
Ages: Young Adult
Reviewed by Billy Burgess

The teenage California sisters from “First Night” are back. Once again, Alex and Jackie are traveling with their aunt and uncle, but this time they are in Luxembourg. The girls are enjoying their vacation, and are especially excited about seeing the old Dracula movie at the Capucins Theater. Of course the girls know that vampires aren’t real? Or are there vampires in Luxembourg looking for Alex and Jackie?

After Jackie receives a mysterious looking coin, an elf comes into their lives and turns their vacation into an journey they will soon never forget.

“The Elf of Luxembourg” is an exciting, fast-paced sequel. Tom Weston has wonderfully blended historical facts with supernatural fiction. My first thought was, “Not another teen vampire novel.” But after reading the first chapter, I knew this was a clever story that just happens to have a few vampires in it. Alex and Jackie are fun, energetic characters that both male and female readers will connect with. The book is just as charming at the “First Night.” I recommend “The Elf of Luxembourg” to everyone who enjoys a good adventure.

*Note: I would like to thank the author for sending me this book to review. ( )
  billyburgess | Mar 1, 2010 |
Be careful what you wish for...
To our Grandfathers and Grandmothers

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0981941346, Paperback)

What's an older sister to do? It's not all fun fairs and ice-cream. Well, it is - but that's beside the point. When one is in Luxembourg, there is a certain standard to maintain, and vacationing with Elves and Vampires is just so old school. But can Alex convince her younger sister, Jackie, of that? No, of course not, so she may as well get used to it. But deep beneath the ancient city of Luxembourg there lies a secret. The Vampires believe it is protected by the Elf. The Elf believes it is protected by a prophecy concerning Alex and Jackie. And the sisters? They believe shoes in Luxembourg are too expensive. Why are the Vampires going toe-to-toe with an Elf for the pleasure of the sisters' company? Why does the Elf think Alex and Jackie can sing? And just who let Sir Walter Raleigh and the Conquistadors into this story? To answer these questions will take all of the sisters' cunning, bravery and imagination, as well as some souvenir shopping. Because this is the Elf of Luxembourg and this is an Alex and Jackie Adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:08 -0400)

Tom Weston is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,373,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible