The Last Apprentice: Rise of the Huntress by…

The Last Apprentice: Rise of the Huntress

by Joseph Delaney

3191134,767 (3.92)5

English (10)  French (1)  All languages (11)
the dynamic of this series keeps changing subtly and mostly for the better. Another solid installment, and wait to see where this series continues to go. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
The Last Apprentice books start out harmlessly enough. There is plenty of action, and the characters are wonderfully drawn. However, as the books progress, so intensity. Each book just gets a bit darker. A little more creepy. It's like Delaney knows his audience gets another year older with each new release, and doesn't want to loose them.

In the latest installment (for me), Rise of the Huntress, the Spook, Tom Ward, and Alice are on their way back from Greece. They get home to find the house in Chipenden has been destroyed. The Spooks books are burned (except one), the Bogart watching the place is gone, and the witches entombed in the garden have managed to escape!

Fleeing for somewhere safe while a war wages on, the band finds themselves immigrants on a distant land. They are not welcome from the moment they get off the boat -- and the locals have no problem expressing their distaste.

Lord Barrule enjoys (aside from gambling), the torture and murder of witches. Bony Lizzie is also around. She has grand plans of taking over. Her power has continued to grow. She knows nothing can stop her now. What she wants to do first is exact revenge on the Spook. Then on the Tom ward. (For Alice -- her daughter -- she envisions a bigger, greater destiny of uniting the witch clans).

On a foreign land, facing an evil Lord, and one of the most dangerous witches, where the townsfolk despise you, and there is no one to trust, no one to turn to -- the Spook, Ward, and Alice need to find sanctuary -- fast, or risk being locked away in a dungeon, tortured, or killed.

Like each of the previous books I have read and reviewed in this series, I am a fan. Joseph Delaney has a powerful series. I am sad to think I am past the halfway mark (this being book 7 of 13). However, I do have book 8 ready to go. And for now, at least, that makes me happy.

Phillip Tomasso
Author of Damn the Dead, and Young Blood: The Nightbreed Saga
http://www.philliptomasso.com/ ( )
  ptom3 | May 2, 2015 |
Oh my goodness! I can't believe this.

This installment picks up right where it left off in the last book. There wasn't much recap time. This was a good thing, but for others I suppose it would be aggravating. I thought that the groups voyage to the Island of Mona didn't make any sense, but the plot took them there due to the soldiers in the county. I was confused by this if it really followed history or if it was complete fiction. I found that it was a mixture of both. I think what threw it off was that the enemy army wasn't identified.
A travesty that Chipingham was overrun. Bony Lizzy's reappearance was one of those moments that I was screaming NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Great antagonist for the story. Also Alice really grows as a character in this installment. So the last I can say is Cheers and Happy Reading! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
This series continues to be everything it was at the beginning; spooky, fast, full of adventure and terrifying creatures. Bony Lizzie was very scary in this one. I can't wait to keep going!

This book was hard on the Spook. He has lost a lot and the Spook is getting old and feeling defeated. Tom is going to have to start stepping up and doing more hands on fighting that the Spook can't do anymore. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Feb 13, 2014 |
It is so confusing to keep track of this series and when new books are coming out. Why must they rename every one that comes out in America? Why does the entire series have to have a different name (Wardstone Chronicles vs. The Last Apprentice)? This is the seventh book in the series, but who knows what it'll be called in the States and when it will be released. Whenever that happens, I'll read it if I can find it.
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
To Marie
The Spook, Alice and I were crossing the Long Ridge on our way back to Chipenden, with the three wolfhounds, Claw, Blood and Bone, barking excitedly at our heels.

[From Amazon] The Spook, Tom and Alice return from Greece to find the County under siege - and the Spook's home is burnt to the ground. With his precious library of knowledge destroyed, they seek refuge on the nearby island of Mona. But with Mona in the thrall of a twisted Shaman there is little respite from hostility or denizens of the dark. And as Alice dodges the ever-tightening net of the island's witch hunters, a more deadly enemy emerges...Bony Lizzie, freshly-escaped from the Spook's bonds, has grand ambitions: to take for herself the throne of isle. She has harnessed the services of a tunnel-dwelling buggane, an evil creature which thrives on stealing the animas, or life force, from its unsuspecting victims. With the buggane as her secret weapon can she become an all-powerful Witch Queen?

Returning from Greece, Tom and the Spook find that their home, including the Spook's precious library of knowledge, has been burned to the ground, and that their battle against the denizens of the dark must continue.

42 wanted2 pay2 pay

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,142,710 books! | Top bar: Always visible