The Last Apprentice: Rise of the Huntress by…

The Last Apprentice: Rise of the Huntress

by Joseph Delaney

English (8)  French (1)  All languages (9)
Oh my goodness! I can't believe this.

This installment picks up right where it left off in the last book. There wasn't much recap time. This was a good thing, but for others I suppose it would be aggravating. I thought that the groups voyage to the Island of Mona didn't make any sense, but the plot took them there due to the soldiers in the county. I was confused by this if it really followed history or if it was complete fiction. I found that it was a mixture of both. I think what threw it off was that the enemy army wasn't identified.
A travesty that Chipingham was overrun. Bony Lizzy's reappearance was one of those moments that I was screaming NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Great antagonist for the story. Also Alice really grows as a character in this installment. So the last I can say is Cheers and Happy Reading! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
This series continues to be everything it was at the beginning; spooky, fast, full of adventure and terrifying creatures. Bony Lizzie was very scary in this one. I can't wait to keep going!

This book was hard on the Spook. He has lost a lot and the Spook is getting old and feeling defeated. Tom is going to have to start stepping up and doing more hands on fighting that the Spook can't do anymore. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Feb 13, 2014 |
It is so confusing to keep track of this series and when new books are coming out. Why must they rename every one that comes out in America? Why does the entire series have to have a different name (Wardstone Chronicles vs. The Last Apprentice)? This is the seventh book in the series, but who knows what it'll be called in the States and when it will be released. Whenever that happens, I'll read it if I can find it.
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
This is the seventh book in the Wardstone Chronicles series. Originally the series was supposed to have seven books in it, but now I believe the series is going to total 10 books so this is getting close to the end. In this book, Mr Gregory, Tom and Alice have to leave the County and end up in Mona, an island off the County's coast. They find that Bony Lizzie has escaped her confinement at the Spook's house and has also made her way to Mona.

It's made very obvious that Mona is actually the Isle of Man. The city of Douglas and the Legs of Man symbol are both referred to several times. Mona is the historic name of the Isle of Man, however, I found it quite confusing because I was more aware of it being the original name of Anglesey, off the coast of Wales!

I was already a little baffled as to why the previous book had to take place in Greece, and this is further enhanced by now having the trio travel to the Isle of Man. And if the indication in this book pans out, the following one will take place in Ireland. All this sudden travelling about this late on in the series makes it seem as though the author has run out of things to write about and is trying to stretch out the story to fill the extra 3 books that have now been announced. It also makes a bit of a mockery of Tom being Mam's 'gift to the County' when he's not doing anything there.

I think the series has run its course and it's now just marking time until it gets to the final book. If you've read any of the previous ones, then this book continues in the same vein. It didn't feel like there was anything new in this book, any kind of plot advancement or character development. And again, Tom and Alice are still acting as though they're 12, rather than 16. It's all getting to be rather samey, and I don't think extending the series to 10 books was a good idea. ( )
  Ganimede | Jun 3, 2011 |
I've been a big fan of Joseph Delaney's Last Apprentice series ever since I first picked it up. Just the way that he paints this fascinating and unique world with real horrors while packing it with action was awesome. I loved it from the first page until the last. However, I'll admit that I've recently become somewhat concerned about the series. With no clear end in sight, it can happen, as becomes the issue with many TV/book series, that the story starts to run around in circles with no clear goal for the characters to reach and seemingly pointless plot lines that act purely as filler. Especially with the last book in the series, I thought that this was becoming a more realistic issue with The Last Apprentice. Not to mention the seeming decline in the series' popularity.

In Rise of the Huntress, Tom, Alice and Spook return from Greece to find that the County has been ravaged and Alice's mother, the witch Bony Lizzy, has escaped and made her way to an island named Mona. With her new found powers, Bony Lizzy swiftly takes over the island and throws the Spook in prison. It's up to Tom and Alice to free the Spook and stop Bony Lizzie before more blood is spilled.

Delaney delivers another edge-of-your seat, action-packed thrill ride in Rise of the Huntress that fans have come to expect from him. But, however, I also felt like I'd been on this ride before -in fact, maybe a few times before. While Delaney does a good job of trying to keep the story and characters fresh, I felt like there was so much going on here that I already knew about, or had already experienced. Not to mention the small lack of character development in this story, and that it didn't seem to move the characters that much closer to defeating the Fiend for good.

Could Delaney be suffering from the classic problems that authors do when they are running a series in circles without any clue where to go or how to end it? Possibly. While I know this is technically a middle grade series, the themes are very dark and can appeal to older readers, who will find more of an issue with this than younger readers. Though I still hold out hope, I'm afraid that Delaney is starting to lose some steam. I'm starting to wonder when he is going to end the series, if ever.

Now, don't get me wrong, Rise of the Huntress still had great action and helped expand Delaney's fascinating world, but I just felt like there's some going around in circles here. I still hold out hope for the next book -but this series just isn't as good as it used to be. ( )
  BookAddictDiary | Apr 11, 2011 |
To Marie
The Spook, Alice and I were crossing the Long Ridge on our way back to Chipenden, with the three wolfhounds, Claw, Blood and Bone, barking excitedly at our heels.

[From Amazon] The Spook, Tom and Alice return from Greece to find the County under siege - and the Spook's home is burnt to the ground. With his precious library of knowledge destroyed, they seek refuge on the nearby island of Mona. But with Mona in the thrall of a twisted Shaman there is little respite from hostility or denizens of the dark. And as Alice dodges the ever-tightening net of the island's witch hunters, a more deadly enemy emerges...Bony Lizzie, freshly-escaped from the Spook's bonds, has grand ambitions: to take for herself the throne of isle. She has harnessed the services of a tunnel-dwelling buggane, an evil creature which thrives on stealing the animas, or life force, from its unsuspecting victims. With the buggane as her secret weapon can she become an all-powerful Witch Queen?

Returning from Greece, Tom and the Spook find that their home, including the Spook's precious library of knowledge, has been burned to the ground, and that their battle against the denizens of the dark must continue.

48 wanted2 pay1 pay

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,330,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible