A Summer in Sonoma by Robyn Carr

A Summer in Sonoma

by Robyn Carr

194960,720 (3.81)14

2 stars
This was a disappointing read, as I've heard good things about Carr's books. I was bored with most of the characters and the lack of setting detail--and the book isn't even set in Sonoma. There are maybe three scenes in Sonoma, which were well-done, but the rest of the book is mostly in the Sacramento area. The book read like women's fiction, which is fine, but I wasn't invested in any of the characters the way I like to be, and the sex scenes seemed unneeded.
  ReinaMWilliams | Mar 31, 2017 |
Lovely story of 4 best friends since the 7th grade, Now with all on the cusp of 30, their lives have diverged in different directions. Cassie still hasn't found Mr Right, but Mr Wrong aka a long-haired biker starts off as a friend, but maybe more? Julie married her high-school sweetheart, but the family is just a heart-beat away from bankruptcy when she's pregnant again. Marty is wondering why she's sticking around with her marriage, when her husband has not only forgotten about romance, but thinks that being a good provider should be enough. An old flame is starting to look tempting. And OB Beth's body has betrayed her with cancer for a second time. But she doesn't want to let anyone in to help her, until she becomes a difficult patient and finds a trusted friend in her oncologist. ( )
  nancynova | Jan 14, 2017 |
*No spoilers.

2.5 stars

Buddy read with my BFF (best frenemy forever) Dee. ^_^

This was me stepping outside the box and trying something new, because it's time to broaden my reading horizons. My reads usually involve dead and undead things tearing people from limb to limb. >_

While I'm glad I deviated from my usual genres, I can't say I was overly impressed with this one.

It starts off pretty strongly and right off the bat, I felt like I was going to be able to empathize with the 4 ladies. I did, at first.

Cassie is the main character - I think. I could not stand her. She's vapid, self-involved, superficial, and extremely judgmental. It was really hard to read her inner thoughts. Though most of the book revolved around her (ugh) and her love interest, there were 3 other story lines going on at the same time. A bit much, if you ask me. There was a lot of jumping around and too many different perspectives. Aside from the POV's of the 4 ladies, you randomly get the POV's of the male characters, as well. Weird.

I was able to relate to 3 of the 4 ladies, solely because I've been in similar situations previously in my life. That I could empathize, helped me to connect with all the characters early on. Unfortunately, as time wore on, their issues and the way they dealt with them got boring.

Everything seemed to drag in the second half. More detrimentally, everything wrapped up super-neatly by the end - unbelievably so. I have nothing against happy endings, but every single little detail of each of their problems had a neat, tidy, and improbable solution. That was its downfall. I'm a realist and in my world, the stars don't always align just so and leading men are not so amazingly perfect to the point of disbelief.

This last qualm may be a but of a nitpick, but it must be said. I expected there to be more wine country references based on the title and cover. In actuality, there were a couple of wine bottles opened and drank in the whole story. That's it.

That I rated this 2.5 and am willing to round up, despite the issues I had with it, is a testament that it's not an all bad read. Some of the things that bothered me may not be issues for you and I can't deny that the actual writing was very good. I was reading outside of my usual genres, but if contemporary romance with a happy ending is your thing, definitely check this one out.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog:

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
I love Robyn Carr's novels. I'm biased. She usually writes a strong story about true-to-life people and problems. This book is no different. Yes, the endings are a little too happy happy, but it's a romance, c'mon people! I probably would not have enjoyed this book even five years ago; but staring into the face of 40 lends a difference in perspective. ( )
  lesmel | Jun 13, 2014 |
I love her writing. I really enjoyed the characters and plot of this book. ( )
  Talaskat | Oct 8, 2013 |

Robyn Carrprimary authorall editionscalculated
Turnbull, KateReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Four high school friends spend a summer in northern California to sort out their love lives. Cassie, unlucky in love, falls for a biker. Julie, who married her high school sweetheart too young, wonders if the spark is gone from her marriage. Marty feels trapped in a loveless marriage and is contemplating an affair. Beth, a successful doctor, struggles with health problems and her attraction to a coworker. This summer, teetering on the threshold of thirty, these four women are going to need each other more than ever.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,139,802 books! | Top bar: Always visible