She's Gone Country by Jane Porter

She's Gone Country (2010)

by Jane Porter

A very different type of romance novel though I wonder if I can really call it a romance novel and not just a work of fiction. The romance is there but its not exactly front and center.

It's mostly centers on the 39 year old, Shey and all her problems after her divorce and raising 3 boys. Dane, the love interest, is all cowboy: rock hard and not very emotional. At times I felt him to be kind of flat and two dimensional but I still got happy whenever they were in the same scene together.

Really liked how the author conveyed the emotions throughout the book. I felt connected to Shey, even if we don't have the same age or issues. That's always a good thing.

My only problem lies in how many subplots were left hanging. Did they ever catch the guy who broke into her house? What about Emily and her drinking problem? It just felt a little underdeveloped.

All that aside, I felt happy once I finished it and that's always a plus though in the end, because of her justifiable hesitation, I was left a little nervous for her. Maybe because I felt that Dane liked her and he did love her but it felt a tad... generic? Dunno. Still a good book. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
Shey Darcy is in the middle of a divorce and heads back home to Texas with her three sons. She runs into Dane Kelly who she's been in love with pretty much her whole life and sparks fly. Sparks she's not quite sure what to do with as she's trying to get her life back on track. This was an easy and quick read. I read it in one sitting! ( )
  Tabatha014 | Aug 5, 2016 |
she's gone country by jane porter, wow packed book about a lot of things going
on. a mom recently divorced from her husband who is now a gay man. kids go to new
york at thanksgiving to be with him. one stays behind. 2 come back and one is
enthralled with bull riding=he starts lessons. another is being bullied at school
and she finds out. a housebreak on thanksgiving and she's calling a lifelong friend
who comes to her rescue. she is a model to boot and takes off to exotic places a few
times during the timeframe, always has her mom nearby to watch the kids. she does it all
and then some. nobody can kick her down. a lot of things from the past come back to be
dealt with so she and others can move on. really liked the book but not a lot of dialogue,
i felt. i rate this a 5 of 5 and will now look for more books by this author. ( )
  jbarr5 | Feb 23, 2013 |
She’s Gone Country by Jane Porter is so relaxing and enjoyable to read it was like putting on a pair of old, soft jeans and your favorite t-shirt. This book is sort of mommy lit but foretells an empty nest coming and a bit of a middle age crisis.

Shey Lynne Darcy’s husband just left her for a man. They had been married for around 16 years. She has been living in New York City but decides to go back home. She took her three sons, Bo, Hank and Cooper to the ranch where she grew up in Parkfield, Texas. Even though, she could stay and support herself and the boys with her income as well known fashion model but she feels that she isn’t herself any more.

She has a lot to deal with including the fact that her son, Bo, seems to be following in her brother Cody’s footsteps. Cody may have been manic depressive but died before he could steer away from substance dependence. Now Bo seems to be depressed a lot lately. Her son, Hank, doesn’t like the schools in Texas and would rather stay with her estranged husband so he could go to one of the best schools in the East. Lastly, Cooper, the youngest feel that he is a looser at everything including fistfights; he loves the ranch and wants to be a cowboy.

On top of this, her old boyfriend, Dane Kelley, a rodeo champ is still in the area. Her parents sent her away to boarding school when she was young so she would be away from him. Shey wants to feel more comfortable in her life. She wants to be herself, to be happier than she has been and she had been missing the ranch for so long.

This page turning story gets you interested from the first page and you don’t want to read the last page because that will be all there is. This story has humor, wit, romance, emotional turmoil and some peaceful times.

I highly recommend this book to women who have or have had teen aged sons and/or a broken marriage. ( )
  Carolee888 | Aug 9, 2012 |
It didn’t take long in reading this book for me to get major Hope Floats flashbacks. I kept thinking, “haven’t I seen this somewhere before?” Woman’s marriage fails, she moves offspring from the bustling city back to the rural home of her childhood, meets man from past and falls in love…and then all is well in the world.

She’s Gone Country was a quick, light read—and even went a little deeper and darker at times, bringing up topics of homosexuality, bi-polar depression and bullying/cyber-bullying, but no issue was covered in much detail to really say that this book has a lot of meat—and was good enough that I perhaps wouldn’t mind reading more of Jane Porter.

I enjoyed reading this book, but by the end I couldn’t shake the feeling that Shey’s life only seemed to get better once Dane was finally a part of it. Which perpetuates the whole “a woman needs a man” cliché that I hate. I would liked to see Shey become once again the strong confident woman she was before her failed marriage … but on her own, sans the man.

Overall, not scary good but not horrible either. Rating: 3/5

http://www.read-all-over.net/fiction/chic-lit/shes-gone-country-by-jane-porter/ ( )
  eireannoir | Apr 14, 2011 |
For my boys Jake, Ty, and Mac. You own my heart.
"Shey Lynne, you've been here three months now and not once have you taken those boys to church."

Shey Darcy, a 39-year-old former top model for Vogue and Sports Illustrated led a charmed life in New York City with a handsome photographer husband until the day he announced he'd fallen in love with someone else. Left to pick up the pieces of her once happy world, Shey decides to move back home to Texas with her three teenage sons. Life on the family ranch, however, brings with it a whole new host of dramas starting with differences of opinion with her staunch Southern Baptist mother, her rugged but overprotective brothers, and daily battles with her three sons who are also struggling to find themselves. Add to the mix Shey's ex-crush, Dane Kelly, a national bullriding champ and she's got her hands full. It doesn't take long before Shey realizes that in order to reinvent herself, she must let go of an uncertain future and a broken past, to find happiness--and maybe love--in the present.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:05 -0400)

After her husband announces he's fallen in love with someone else, 39-year-old former model Shey Darcy moves back home to Texas with her three teenage sons. Life on the family ranch, however, brings with it a whole new host of dramas.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible