Second Time Around: A Novel by Beth Kendrick

Second Time Around: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Beth Kendrick

Member:scoutlee
Title:Second Time Around: A Novel
Authors:Beth Kendrick
Info:Bantam (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:read 2012, ebook 2012, women's fiction, my book 2012

Second Time Around by Beth Kendrick

I picked this up because it's been sitting on my bookshelf for too long. It's chick-lit & for what it is, it's fine. I think I have officially outgrown this type of chick-lit. It felt very much like a Lifetime movie & by that I mean, you have your standard main characters & you know that it's going to end pretty tidily. There's nothing wrong with that in & of itself but I am beyond finding that very satisfying at this point. All other things being equal, I'd have rather read a Maeve Binchy novel. I read it but it's no longer my kind of read & frankly, is entirely forgettable. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
Cute book. Light, airy, chick lit that was a fun, fast read. Won't change your life but it is a great trip or beach read and will make you appreciate the girlfriends you have in your life. ( )
  stephens3181 | Jan 24, 2011 |
Although a little corny in spots it was a nice get away book for me. ( )
  mchwest | Sep 15, 2010 |
Second Time Around is female bonding at its best. Five women, friends since college, get together for a mini-reunion once a year. One dies, leaving a million dollars to be split between the rest. The catch? They need to use the money to follow their dreams.

Each woman has a job she doesn't love. Each has a seemingly impossible dream. The money gives those dreams a chance. While changing their careers, the women are forces to deal with personal problems ranging from guilt over accepting their dead friend's money, infertility, poor choices in love and one is haunted by a secret she has kept for over a decade.

Second Time Around is full of fun and sorrow, potential and regret, hope and fear. It really makes the reader question what they would change in their lives if given $250,000. Imagine the possibilities. The enduring friendship of the four women left mourning their friend is inspirational, a wonderful example of what friendship between women should be.

Beth Kendrick has written a book that does what all books should do. She put ideas in my head. She made me consider my life. She gave me something to think about. The message that life is too short to waste time on things you don't love is an important one and it couldn't have been written more beautifully. Second Time Around is chick-lit that focuses on the whole of a woman, not just her romantic life. I would love to see more books of this nature and highly recommend Second Time Around to any woman willing to reexamine where her life is headed. Funny, entertaining and meaningful - Second Time Around hits the trifecta. ( )
1 vote TequilaReader | May 16, 2010 |
This is a feel-good novel about a group of friends from college who are stuck in the wrong careers. One of them dies (though her death is not dwelt upon), and leaves an inheritance for each remaining friend to pursue her dreams. Although it may sound hokey, Kendrick keeps things light with humor and minor catastrophes. I liked seeing where the girls' new paths took them. ( )
1 vote bearette24 | Mar 31, 2010 |

Every summer, four college friends hold a mini-reunion. They laugh, reminisce, and commiserate about their soul-sucking jobs. Maybe they should have listened to everyone who warned them to study something “practical.”

Then an unexpected windfall arrives—one million dollars, to be exact—with the stipulation that they use it to jump-start their new careers. Almost overnight, a professor, a bartender, a copywriter, and an administrative assistant reinvent themselves as a novelist, an event planner, a pastry chef, and a bed-and-breakfast owner. But the changes in their professional roles create unexpected turbulence in their personal lives, and soon the secrets and scandals from their past start to resurface.

For anyone who has ever wondered “What if?,” this engaging novel provides a sweet, funny look at friendship, romance, and second chances.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:33 -0400)

"Every summer, a group of former English majors hold a mini-reunion. They laugh, reminisce, and commiserate about their soul-sucking jobs. Maybe they should have listened to everyone who warned them to study something practical. Then an unexpected windfall arrivesone million dollars, to be exactwith the stipulation that they use it to jump-start their new careers. Almost overnight, a professor, a bartender, a copywriter, and an administrative assistant reinvent themselves as a bed-and-breakfast owner, a pastry chef, a novelist, and an event planner. But the changes in their professional roles create unexpected turbulence in their personal lives, and soon the secrets and scandals from their past resurface."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,254,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible