Not Without Hope by Nick Schuyler

Not Without Hope

by Nick Schuyler

A riveting story, told quite poorly. Basic gist: a bunch of happenin' brewski-buddy "bros" go fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, capsize the boat, and one survives. It's a story of one bad and/or stupid choice after another - would have been great slapstick if it weren't so pathetically sad. How so much stupidity can be displayed in such a short time is mind-boggling.
I couldn't help but compare this story to something like "Alive" or Shackleton, where, in similar scarey situations, the men (boys, in the case of "Alive") all work together and face adversity as a unit. In great contrast, here are 4 egotistical "stud"s who all fight for "number 1" instead of working together and, as a result, only the most self-centered guy survives, allowing the others to work for his benefit. It was like a "Survivor" episode. And how shallow can these guys get?!! : the only survivor is in the hospital and bemoans the fact that all his 6-pack abs body building workouts have gone to waste - oh my! so sad! - it's gonna take him weeks, months! I tell you, to get back that physique... facepalm. ( )
  marshapetry | Jun 2, 2013 |
A well-written memoir about a horrifying and tragic trip. Mr. Schuyler recounts the circumstances that led to the deaths of three of his friends. What separates this book from other survivor stories is that Mr. Schuyler comes across as himself. He does not try to hide his arrogance or his confusion as to why he was the only one who survived. Whether this was on purpose or just how the book fell, I don't know but the ultimate outcome was that the book felt real. ( )
  sunnydrk | Mar 18, 2012 |
Incredible story that is poorly written. ( )
  RDHawk6886 | Sep 19, 2010 |
Not Without Hope
By Nick Schuyler
During the 2010 summer, my mom brought the book Not Without Hope to my attention. From looking at the cover and then skimming the back I thought that it would be a good book. The first couple of pages were slow as usual but eventually I got a good feel for the characters and the setting.
The first part of this book that I liked was how the author took time at the beginning of the book to draw detailed images of the characters. This was very helpful because it connect with the events that happened later in the book. For example most of the main characters in the book were described as big, fit, and muscular men. This made surviving in cold waters and living without food different. Since they had very little body fat, sustaining a warm body temperature in the frigid water was much harder.
After the author did get the reader familiar with all of the characters he set a good hook. This hook was very simple and almost seemed insignificant but it drew my attention to the book. The author described a group of men with a small boat going into the sea to catch fish. At this point in time I knew that something bad could easily happen. Since I have grown up on boat I know that they are very dangerous and storms on the water are much worse than in land. All of this got my attention and made me keep reading.
Another reason that I really enjoyed this book was because the author narrated the scene that happened on the flipped boat, as well as the scene that was happening at home. This gave the reader a feel of how all of the family was panicking and morning for their possible loss. I got to view the situation from two different stand points and I thought this was clever of the author.
The one thing that I would have changed in this book was a part when Nick was alone floating on the flipped boat. This part took a long time I thought and the author almost lost my attention. I know it is a true story but I think that the author could have left some of the slow parts out.
At the end of the book the author did a great job wrapping all of the details up. He made sure that there were no questions left unanswered. I think this is very important because I have read books that don’t have a strong conclusion, and a conclusion is an important part of the book, as it wraps up the story and answers all the last questions. If a conclusion doesn’t do this then the reader is left confused.
Overall I thought this was a great book, I would read other stories by this author
in a heartbeat. I recommend it to all of my classmates that like suspense and action. I commend the author on doing a great job writing this book and keeping it very interesting for the reader.
1 vote ofjohnson | Aug 26, 2010 |
This story has me wondering is this for real, but I believed every last word of it, since it rings true to me personally and professionally. Well told by the author, and this memoir seemed honest and heartfelt. ( )
  joannemepham29 | Jun 13, 2010 |
One year ago, athletic trainer Nick Schuyler survived for 43 hours clinging to an overturned boat in the Gulf of Mexico, in an accident that took the lives of two National Football League players and another friend. “Not Without Hope,” Schuyler’s memoir, recalls their profoundly sad struggle for life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061993999, Hardcover)

What began as a relaxing fishing party became a harrowing tale of death and survival against unfathomable odds. On Saturday February 28, 2009, 24-year-old Nick Schuyler and three football friends - Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper, 26, Lions defensive end Corey Smith, 29, and Will Bleakley, 25, a teammate from the University of South Florida - sailed away from Tampa Bay for a day of fun in the Gulf of Mexico. But 35 miles off the coast of Florida, their 21-foot boat flipped, hurling the four athletes into the rough water. For more than 12 hours, the foursome gripped the boat as the temperature dropped to 60 degrees and the waves climbed to more than 10 feet. Donning the life jackets Bleakley bravely retrieved from inside the overturned craft, the friends passed the time swapping stories of loved ones and memories from the gridiron. Yet to Schulyer's horror, he watched as one by one, Marquis then Corey, and finally his best friend Will succumbed to hypothermia brought on by the choppy seas and cold temperatures. As the hours lengthened, Schuyler held each man in his arms as they passed, powerless to save them. Alone, Schuyler tenaciously clung to the exposed propeller of the boat overnight until the Coast Guard miraculously discovered him 45 hours after he was tossed into the Gulf's waters. Though he had been wearing thicker clothing than his friends-a hooded sweatshirt, ski cap, and pants that he'd donned after feeling seasick - Schulyer too suffered severe hypothermia and lacerations along his thighs and torso-and most tragically, the guilt of being the only man to survive. In "Not Without Hope", Schulyer shares the full story of the accident for the first time. Recounting the events that led up to the fateful day and the four lives that became inextricably intertwined, he relives those intense 45 traumatic hours and probes the psychological and physiological depths he endured to survive. In addition, he tells the remarkable tale of the search and rescue mission that saved him. An incredible tale of courage, grief, strength, and love, "Not Without Hope" is an unforgettable true story of one man's incredible survival and a moving tribute to the friends he lost-and will never forget.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:51 -0400)

What began as a relaxing fishing party became a harrowing tale of death and survival against unfathomable odds. On Saturday, February 28, 2009, 24-year-old personal trainer Nick Schuyler and three football friends--Raiders linebacker Marquis Cooper, 26, Lions defensive end Corey Smith, 29, and Will Bleakley, 25, a teammate from the University of South Florida--sailed away from Tampa Bay for a day in the Gulf of Mexico. But 35 miles off the Florida coast, their 21-foot boat flipped, hurling the four athletes into the rough water. For more than 12 hours, they gripped the boat as the temperature dropped and the waves climbed. Then, to Schuyler's horror, one by one, his friends succumbed to hypothermia. Found 45 hours later, Schuyler too suffered severe hypothermia, injuries, and the guilt of being the only man to survive.--From publisher description.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,000,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible