Pod by Stephen Wallenfels
10620113,849 (3.63)6

The Pods are giant spheres that descended from the sky, and wiped out everyone who wasn't indoors at the time. They zapped every person and every mode of transportation, and they simply disappeared. Now they hover above humanity, taking out anyone who attempts to leave whatever building they were in during the invasion.

The story is told from 2 points of view, Josh and Megs. Josh is a 16-year-old boy who is trapped in his house with his father, and Megan is a 12-year-old girl trapped in a parking garage that is connected to a hotel with some unsavory characters. I found Josh to be rather obnoxious at first, and didn't particularly enjoy his chapters, but they both offer a unique and interesting perspective on the events. Josh exemplifies the isolation of an apocalyptic story, and Megs represents the typical search-and-scavege motif.

The book started off on the wrong foot for me, as it felt very rushed and abrupt, but it did turn out to be an addictive story once things got going. Even though I didn't like Josh's chapters at first, I was very sympathetic towards Megan, and Josh's obnoxiousness serves a purpose in the end, so in the end I was quite happy with the characterization.

Unfortunately, the end was also pretty unsatisfying. Some things are wrapped up a bit too conveniently, and at the same time it feels like it is left WAY too open. A sequel is obviously planned, which is fine, it's just frustrating to have so many things just left in the air.

Despite the flawed start and finish, I still enjoyed the book overall. ( )
  Ape | Apr 30, 2015 |
A very quick read, BUT no real resolutions, no ending, and no explanation about the PODS, where they came from or what happens. ( )
  zmagic69 | Apr 13, 2015 |
An exciting alien apocalypse story, focusing on two teens: an older teen boy and an younger teen girl. Both teens face very different scenarios: one is trapped in a parking garage alone, the other is relatively "safe" in his home with his father. Tense and scary!

Highly recommended. ( )
  kayceel | Mar 11, 2015 |
I was liking this a lot, but then there was no resolution at the end. I feel like it just ended. No climax or anything. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Alien invasion told from two perspeectives. Fast-moving and initally engrossing but the narrative grows a bit tiresome and ends with a fizzle. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |

Surviving a massive alien siege is one thing-surviving humanity is another. I'm all cried out. I'm still alone. The sky is full of giant spinning black balls that kill anyone stupid enough to go outside. I've only been out of the car twice - once to pee and once to look at the sky. That one look was enough for me. Now I sit alone in the car, staring out the window like a rat in a cage. But I don't have anyone to look at. The parking garage is empty, except for twisted-up cars, broken glass and the smell of leaking gasoline. POD is the story of a global cataclysmic event, told from the view points of Megs, a 12-year-old streetwise girl trapped in a hotel parking garage in Los Angeles; and 16-year-old Josh, who is stuck in a house in Prosser, Washington, with his increasingly obsessive compulsive father. Food and water and time are running out. Will Megs survive long enough to find her mother? Will Josh and his father survive each other?… (more)

namelos

2 editions of this book were published by namelos.

Editions: 1608980103, 1608980111

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible