The Squire's Tale (The Squire's…

The Squire's Tale (The Squire's Tales) (edition 2008)

by Gerald Morris (Author)

Member:timspalding
Title:The Squire's Tale (The Squire's Tales)
Authors:Gerald Morris (Author)
Info:HMH Books for Young Readers (2008), Edition: Reprint, 224 pages
Collections:Ideas for Liam

The Squire's Tale by Gerald Morris

This is my favorite Arthurian fiction of all time, and I readily admit that it's entirely because Gerald Morris shares my stance on the original tales: the Celtic stories are fabulous, and the French stories are...kind of irritating. I love that his Arthur has a sense of humor; I love that his Faerie is slightly threatening; most of all I love that Gawain is the main character. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Aug 25, 2016 |
bratfarrar says, "whimsy and maturity and general decency are why I really like Diana Wynne Jones and Garth Nix and Gerald Morris. That is, each writes characters that I care about and worlds that I want to explore, and tells stories that make me want to be a better person."
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
A modern update on Arthurian legends, with a twist of comedy. Filled with the classically random, weird encounters while on quest. Where running into a crazy night and having to kill someone seems everyday.

I enjoyed the main Character Terence very much, and the message of standing up for women and allowing people to choose their own destiny is well done.

Good starter for Arthurian Knight stories, if you know you don't like those, skip it.
  MattMattYS | Nov 2, 2015 |
"I have always liked the legend of King Arthur. Everyone has heard different versions of the same story, but that’s the beauty of the Arthurian legends: they grow and change with time, as they were meant to. In The Squire’s Tale, Gerald Morris takes an interesting approach, as he states in his author’s note. He is “trying to restore the reputation of this most honored of all knights on earth.” It’s not Lancelot, but Gawain.

It is not Gawain, but Terence, his squire, who tells his story. Terence himself is a great character: the son of unknown parents with the ability to see faeries. He doesn’t seem all that remarkable in the beginning, but he goes through a wonderful development as he embarks with Gawain upon his quests. However, Terence is the one that readers will most likely relate to because this book is aimed at younger teens and he is very much the voice of adolescent uncertainty.

The plot moves quite faster than I’m used to in books incorporating the Arthurian legends, but it suits the author's writing style. There are really no places where the plot sags, not even in the beginning when we are introduced to Terence. The characters are quirky and memorable and there’s plenty of humor to offset some of the serious elements. Overall, a fitting retelling of the Arthurian legends, except for the ending. Gerald Morris kind of stuck Morgause in there at the last minute and I felt that the ending scene was rushed, even though it makes sense. This is one series that I will be reading more of, for certain.

The Last Passage
Gawain knelt and said, ""Our service is always yours, sire.""
""Even in my dreams?"" Arthur asked.
""Especially there, O king,"" Terence murmured, bowing.
As he raised his head again, Terence caught his breath. He suddenly realized that without thinking he had bowed to King Arthur slightly and from the waist only, as a great lord might bow to an equal, not deeply and bending the knees, as a servant bows o his master. He prepared to stammer an apology, but before he could speak the king returned his bow, with exactly the same inflection. Gawain raised his eyebrows, but Arthur only smiled again and took his leave.
""I'll stir up the fire and fetch some more wine, milord,"" Terence said hurriedly.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Interesting enough. Not my favorite in the series, but still good. Not fond of Terence.
  mateideyr | Jul 17, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440228239, Mass Market Paperback)

Life for the young orphan Terence has been peaceful, living with Trevecent the old Hermit in a quiet, isolated wood. That is, until the day a strange green sprite leads him to Gawain, King Arthur's nephew, who is on his way to Camelot hoping to be knighted. Trevecent can see the future and knows that Terence must leave to serve as Gawain's squire. From that moment on, Terence's life is filled with heartstopping adventure as he helps damsels-in-distress, fights battles with devious men, and protects King Arthur from his many enemies. Along the way, Terence is amazed at his skills and newfound magical abilities. Were these a gift from his unknown parents?

As Gawain continues his quest for knighthood, Terence searches for answers to the riddles in his own past.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:10 -0400)

In medieval England, fourteen-year-old Terence finds his tranquil existence suddenly changed when he becomes the squire of the young Gawain of Orkney and accompanies him on a long quest, proving Gawain's worth as a knight and revealing an important secret about his own true identity.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,242,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible