Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Dickens: His Work and His World by Michael…

Dickens: His Work and His World

by Michael Rosen

Picture book biography for older children. Dickens life is as almost as interesting as the books he wrote. This also includes some brief summaries of many of his works.
  wunderlong88 | Sep 14, 2018 |
Well-done. Interesting, even for me, and I'm not a fan of Dickens' work, nor do I want to learn more about his world.  Definitely a good primer to assist a reader reluctant to tackle Dickens' stories.  Rosen is a wonderful writer; I know this from other works of his and must remember to seek out more.  I chose to read this because I wanted to see more of Ingpen's art... here it's well-done, but not magical, and doesn't impress me as much as I'd hoped. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Dickens: His Work and His World is an illustrated biography that examines the life of Charles Dickens. The first section of the book delves into Dickens' upbringing and illustrates how many of his early struggles shaped the characters of his future novels. Prior to reading I had a reasonable understanding of Dickens' life, but I learned quite a bit more from this book. The author selected interesting elements to focus on and framed them nicely within the context of Dickens' body of work. My only complaint about the biography section of the book is that it ended rather abruptly and did not fully document his life post The Pickwick Papers.

In addition to covering the biographic details of Dickens' life, the book also examines the social, political, and demographic landscape of London during the mid-1800's. I saw great value in including these details. The information about the world that shaped his writing is just as important as the details of his life. The author also discussed how our own surroundings can shape our worldview. From a teaching perspective, this would be an excellent way to frame one of his novels, or begin a discussion about students' own surroundings.

The book closes with an examination of four of Dickens' major works: A Christmas Carol, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, and Great Expectations. For the first three books, the author offers a basic synopsis. This would be good information for a student who was interested in a brief survey of his work. The section on Great Expectations is more robust and examines the book's tone, setting, plot and characters in more depth. While there are certainly more scholarly resources available, this book does a nice job introducing the idea of literary analysis.

In regards to appearance, the book itself is very attractive. There are beautiful illustrations that help tell the story, and the large format made it very easy to read. The book includes a comprehensive index, explanation of difficult words, and a comprehensive timeline of Dickens' life. Interestingly, there is no bibliography or suggested reading section. ( )
  JeffCarver | Feb 8, 2014 |

What the Dickens is all the fuss? Take a lively look at an author whose indelible characters live on in our language and culture — and whose legacy shapes our literature to this day.

Join award-winning author, critic, and anthologist Michael Rosen for a spirited tour of the life and work of one of our greatest novelists. With stunning illustrations by Robert Ingpen, this accessible, child-friendly book vividly re-creates the world of Charles Dickens, from the author's childhood in London to his early career, his performances, and, of course, the great social and political upheavals of the time, which inspired so much of his work. Michael Rosen's vibrant discussion covers some of the best-known novels by Dickens, describing OLIVER TWIST, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, and DAVID COPPERFIELD, and providing a fascinating detailed analysis of GREAT EXPECTATIONS.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:44 -0400)

Life and work of the man who wrote A Christmas carol and Oliver Twist.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763627526, 0763638889

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,506,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible