Return to Paradise by Simone Elkeles

Return to Paradise (edition 2010)

by Simone Elkeles

Member:booksandwine
Title:Return to Paradise
Authors:Simone Elkeles
Info:Flux (2010), Paperback, 312 pages

Return to Paradise by Simone Elkeles

This sequel was almost as good as the orginal. I was not sure how she was going to get the characters back to in the same area after the first book. I loved the relationship between Caleb and Maggie, though towards the end things seemed a little thrown together. I could not figure out why there was refresher of the first book in the ending of the second one. The characters were different then in the first one as they go on their travels with the new group of teens. Love gazabo scenes now ;) ( )
  ottilieweber | Apr 24, 2014 |
Return to Paradise definitely made it onto my list of favorites. That ending! ( )
  MichealaBeth | Jul 4, 2013 |
Excellent! Even better than the first one. I wonder if there will be yet another sequel? ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
There is this tiny bit of common sense I left behind before reading this book- if you didn't like the first book don't bother with the sequel. It will probably be shitty too. And God, I tried to like this book, I really did.

Here's the book in short- Maggie's an idiot, Caleb's a d-bag and Simon Elkeles can write a lot better romance (cue Perfect Chemistry) than one about two pathetic little creatures who also happen to be having some real troubles that sounded sad ONE WHOLE BOOK AGO! And oh, both of them want to get into each others' pants but are too confused because of the aforementioned problems and yet have no qualms about fooling around. Until the make-out session is over, of course. If I thought Caleb and Maggie were blowing things out of proportions in the first book, this book made me reconsider.

The only bright point here was Lenny, and his funny wacko comments. It would have been better if the Re-START program has been given more focus and the supporting characters given more personality. I wanted to know more about Damon, Erin, Trish, Lenny, heck even Vanessa other than read Maggie and Caleb bitch about how much they love each other but will not confess, will ignore each other and bitch more about the fact that it is not working between them. And don't even get me started on Leah and Julio getting together that made me laugh for so long I even forgot what's funny.

This book also had the problem of Caleb and Maggie having the same voice (but they both are equally whiny I know one cannot help but be confused!). And the Happily Ever After felt so damn forced I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the book. For all the time Caleb and Maggie spent complaining about their problems it was quite easily solved.

And yeah, Kendra is still a bitch; though I don't understand why we wanted to be reminded of that fact again.

Even one star is a big stretch, but it is my fault, really. I never should have read this book. ( )
  shayanasha | Apr 5, 2013 |
Return to Paradise brought the events of Leaving Paradise to a satisfying conclusion. The dual perspective that the novel was written in was again an effective medium; however, I just couldn't quite seem to "get" Caleb's reasoning for his actions throughout most of the novel--it really didn't make much sense to me, even with his own words giving us his version. Still, though, it was another good read from an excellent author. ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 3, 2013 |
For Erika Danou-Hasan, Ruth Kaufman, and Marilyn Brantthree women who continue to remind me that friendship is selfless and has no boundaries.
Some people are damn lucky.

Maggie and Caleb just went through the worst year of their lives. Hit by a car and starting life over with a limp, Maggie never thought she would forgive Caleb. But she did-and fell in love. What they shared was real. But Caleb wanted to be free from the past-and a terrible secret: he wasn't the one who hit Maggie. So he left Paradise-and Maggie-forever.

When Maggie and Caleb run into each other in a different town, they can't deny their true feelings. Will Maggie let Caleb get away again? Or will Caleb face the truth and return to Paradise?

In alternating chapters, Caleb and Maggie relate the struggles of being reunited after nearly a year apart when both join a group of teens affected by drunk driving, and finally facing their true feelings for one another.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,093 books! | Top bar: Always visible