Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel…

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (2010)

by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan

I grabbed this book at The Strand while I was in NYC for Book Expo America which is pretty cool in it's own right since the book starts right in that very store. I got it to read while I was lounging in the hotel room and ended up finishing it in short order. I loved the beginning of this book more than the ending but I will explain.

This book was a sensual experience for me because it let me explore some of the places I have visited or longed to visit in New York City and live them through someone else's eyes. I loved "the chase" part of this book...in the beginning when Dash and Lily are still shrouded in mystery to each other. It was the best part of the novel, I felt as disappointed as Dash felt the first time he meets Lily when I got to that part too. Maybe it was on purpose.

I liked how Dash and Lily are completely weird in their own individual way. I couldn't decide if they were both too much or if I just have a short view of teenage oddity. Dash and Lily is a cute, sweet, teenage adventure I will probably read again. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Where to begin, where to begin ...

This book, for the most part, was terrible. And I don't think it's because I'm reading a Christmas book in January, either.

Dash is very cynical and whiny to the point where you want to punch as many of his teeth out in one hit as you can. He comes off as one of those douchebags who hate Christmas because it is a popular holiday celebrated by many people. He drops the names of books, quotes thesaurus's. I'm pretty sure it was meant to show how "smart" he was, but no. He just comes across as an epic douche. There's no getting around it. You fucked up.

Lily is very sheltered and annoying. This insult, coming from someone who has also been sheltered, is pretty freaking big. She chucks fit after fit, and for a long time I thought I was reading about a pre-pubescent little girl and got scared, wondering why her brother would want her to go out and try and find a boyfriend - she's way too young for that, I thought. Until I realised she's supposed to be, what, sixteen? I dunno. I don't think it's stated in the book how old these characters are.

I found myself skimming again. This is not something I thought I would do reading a book that is so popular, but there you go. It was boring, cheesy, cliche - did I mention boring?

The premise was interesting, but the execution of the premise left a lot to be desired. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
In "Dash and Lily's Book of Dares" the sixteen-year-old pretentious word-enthusiast Dashiell meets Lily, a chick who isn't really good at anything besides pretending to fit in. Fueled by an idea of Lily's brother Langston, they exchange memories and messages via a notebook. The catch? In order to be able to read the message, you have to complete a scavenger hunt for the notebook.

The main problem of this novel is that the authors obviously didn't have anything to say.
I assume due to being familiar with Levithan's writings, that he wrote the point-of-view passages of Dash, and Rachel Cohn, of whom I haven't read anything so far, wrote the part of Lily. Even Levithan who is incredibly good at passing as a teenager in literature and creating vivid and likeable characters, just pretty much peed in the wind by creating Dash.

Dash is pretentious on John-Green-Level. He may be sixteen but uses words that nobody in their right mind would ever even have heard of. I know that Levithan himself is a word-enthusiast (I mean look at "The Lover's Dictionary" by him!), but there is way too much of himself in Dash in order to make him seem like a teenager. He's so smart, he's so educated and basically doesn't have a life outside of the novel, which also makes him a very flat character. Yeah, we have his ex-girlfriend there and his parents, but there's not much of a backstory to Dash. All we know about him is that he's pretty, with obviously dashingly (haha, so funny) blue eyes and that he, for what reason ever, digs Lily.

Lily on the other hand is so boring, it hurts. Does she even have an original thought? She's a football goalie and dresses funny while also being the shy kid (what?). The notebook, which made Dash grow interested in her in the first place, wasn't even her idea but yet he cares about her. Their relationship is barely existant. There are too many time skips and too few dialogue passages to even build a connection. I didn't care about them. The resolution felt rushed. Truly exchangable, boring characters. (Characters 1/5)

The plot itself isn't even good. In the beginning I was thrilled about this novel, because of David Levithan, and also because it seems like a smart, cute and easy romance novel if you read the back text. I'm so disappointed,
There are so many characters being introduced and then abandoned right away that it's hardly possible to make the connnections between them without skimming back some pages and rereading who the hell that guy/gal was again. I still didn't get Dash's connection to the gerbil dude and honestly, I couldn't care less. This just seems like a stupid convenient case of "chance" that doesn't make any sense in real life. I already forgot half the plot, especially because the notebook wasn't even the center of the story in the end. It just got weird after the grew more acquainted wiht each other and there were some scenes that are so ridiculous, I don't even have words. The scene where she catches the baby just made me shake my head. Honestly? HONESTLY?
(Plot 1/5)

You'd think that the combined force of two authors should produce a novel that's pretty much exquisite in both writing and plot. But yeah, we've already established that the plot wasn't really worth mention in this one and neither is the writing. I don't feel comfortable saying anything about Cohn because I haven't read anything by her, but I feel her dragging down Levithan. He doesn't usually write this badly and he isn't usually that pretentious (HE NEVER IS!), but this is just .... horrible. You can tell that they're trying so hard, squeezing out sentences in the hope of eventually creating a memorable quote. If you don't do this correctly, you just end up with annoying, pretentious nonsense. This is exactly what this novel is. (Writing 2/5)

Rating:★★☆☆☆
Overall: Do I recommend?

NO!!! If you're not familiar with David Levithan yet, don't read this as your first work by him. This is by far the most terrible thing I've ever read by him and it's by no means a good novel. That doesn't mean that it's a bad novel either but I personally just felt like I wasted my time. This novel lacks a message, the characters lack ... character, and also interpersonal relationships.
- See more at: http://thebookavid.blogspot.de/ ( )
  bookavid | Oct 16, 2014 |
Aw. ♥

Well, the story is delightful, funny, feisty. I had a good laugh. :)

“The important people in our lives leave imprints. They may stay or go in the physical realm, but they are always there in your heart, because they helped form your heart. There's no getting over that.”

Well, I want to believe, too.

“I want to believe there is a somebody out there for me. I want to believe that I exist to be there for that somebody.” ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Aw. ♥

Well, the story is delightful, funny, feisty. I had a good laugh. :)

Well, I want to believe, too.

margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |

Rachel Cohnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levithan, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Real Dash's Mom
Imagine this: You're in your favourite bookstore, scanning the shelves.

Told in the alternating voices of Dash and Lily, two sixteen-year-olds carry on a wintry scavenger hunt at Christmas-time in New York, neither knowing quite what--or who--they will find.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible