Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel…

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (2010)

by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan

9841228,727 (4)31

Dash and Lily's adventure begins when Dash, perusing the shelves of The Strand, finds a red moleskin tucked beside a worn copy of J.D. Salinger's Franny and Zooey. Intrigued, he opens it to find a series of clues written by the mysterious "Lily". Together, they embark upon an epistolary romance in the pages of a red notebook, filled with near-misses, literary and etymological love, and finding each other.

Though not quite the academic pretentiousness (and believe me when I say that I use the term with affection, not a sneer) of The Fault in Our Stars, Dash and Lily's Book of Dares has plenty for the bookish misfits in all of us to love and enjoy. Part fairy-tale, part teenage romance, and very funny, the book is not entirely without problems (Lily can come across much more childish than her 16 years), but still ridiculously charming for its flaws. ( )
  kittyjay | Apr 23, 2015 |
Really tame YA (just one kiss, no drugs, one episode of sipping drinks -- though if my daughter is interested, I'll have her wait a bit... I like the rule that you have to be no more than one year shy of the age of the main character... in this case she'll have to wait until she's 15) ... appealing premise (boy and girl meet through journal they write in and leave clues for the other to find, and do some mild dares allong the way). Some conversations are written as if the boy and girl are truly older than their stated 16, but that's more pleasant to read than teens of the real world.

I would recommend this book -- it's innocence of 16 wrapped up with a bit of teenage rebellion on both his and her sides and the sweetness of getting to know someone before actually meeting them. If I were young, I'd seriously consider buying a red journal, too! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
My book club picked this book to read in December. It looked like it would be a cute and easy Christmas pick. It was an easy book to read, but I found it to be much more obnoxious than it was cute.

The premise here is really good: Lily, who loves Christmas and all that it entails, leaves a red notebook with clues written inside in a bookstore in NYC. Dash, who hates Christmas, finds the notebook and leaves a clue himself for Lily to find next. They continue to play this scavenger hunt game around the city, until eventually they meet in person.

That is when this novel really starts to go downhill. It's a cute idea, but once Dash and Lily meet in real life, this story just died. It got really stupid at times, and I just grew more and more annoyed with each turning of the page.

Generally I enjoy this genre of young adult fiction, with clever, witty teenagers who do not talk and write like normal teenagers. But in the case of Dash and Lily, I felt like the authors tried TOO hard to make it clever and witty. It just didn't work for me. ( )
  em0451 | Jan 26, 2015 |
I ended up liking this book a great deal more than I expected to. There were parts towards the middle that were a little slow and wordy, especially in Dash's point of view, but the end was very rewarding. I highly enjoyed how the book entertained and dismantled the idea of the idea of a person versus the reality of a person, and the mostly realistic situations that happen in place of the dreamy, romantic events that someone may want. A really good, light holiday read. ( )
  cbrwn92 | Jan 13, 2015 |
I grabbed this book at The Strand while I was in NYC for Book Expo America which is pretty cool in it's own right since the book starts right in that very store. I got it to read while I was lounging in the hotel room and ended up finishing it in short order. I loved the beginning of this book more than the ending but I will explain.

This book was a sensual experience for me because it let me explore some of the places I have visited or longed to visit in New York City and live them through someone else's eyes. I loved "the chase" part of this book...in the beginning when Dash and Lily are still shrouded in mystery to each other. It was the best part of the novel, I felt as disappointed as Dash felt the first time he meets Lily when I got to that part too. Maybe it was on purpose.

I liked how Dash and Lily are completely weird in their own individual way. I couldn't decide if they were both too much or if I just have a short view of teenage oddity. Dash and Lily is a cute, sweet, teenage adventure I will probably read again. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |

Rachel Cohnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levithan, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Real Dash's Mom
Imagine this: You're in your favourite bookstore, scanning the shelves.

Told in the alternating voices of Dash and Lily, two sixteen-year-olds carry on a wintry scavenger hunt at Christmas-time in New York, neither knowing quite what--or who--they will find.

189 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,437,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible