Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel…

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (2010)

by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan

9571249,064 (4)29

Really tame YA (just one kiss, no drugs, one episode of sipping drinks -- though if my daughter is interested, I'll have her wait a bit... I like the rule that you have to be no more than one year shy of the age of the main character... in this case she'll have to wait until she's 15) ... appealing premise (boy and girl meet through journal they write in and leave clues for the other to find, and do some mild dares allong the way). Some conversations are written as if the boy and girl are truly older than their stated 16, but that's more pleasant to read than teens of the real world.

I would recommend this book -- it's innocence of 16 wrapped up with a bit of teenage rebellion on both his and her sides and the sweetness of getting to know someone before actually meeting them. If I were young, I'd seriously consider buying a red journal, too! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
My book club picked this book to read in December. It looked like it would be a cute and easy Christmas pick. It was an easy book to read, but I found it to be much more obnoxious than it was cute.

The premise here is really good: Lily, who loves Christmas and all that it entails, leaves a red notebook with clues written inside in a bookstore in NYC. Dash, who hates Christmas, finds the notebook and leaves a clue himself for Lily to find next. They continue to play this scavenger hunt game around the city, until eventually they meet in person.

That is when this novel really starts to go downhill. It's a cute idea, but once Dash and Lily meet in real life, this story just died. It got really stupid at times, and I just grew more and more annoyed with each turning of the page.

Generally I enjoy this genre of young adult fiction, with clever, witty teenagers who do not talk and write like normal teenagers. But in the case of Dash and Lily, I felt like the authors tried TOO hard to make it clever and witty. It just didn't work for me. ( )
  em0451 | Jan 26, 2015 |
contemporary fiction, family, friendship, holidays, humor, love, New York City, realistic fiction, relationships, romance, scavenger hunt, treasure hunt, young adult, male protagonist, female protagonist, alternating protagonist ( )
  MzzColby | Jan 19, 2015 |
I ended up liking this book a great deal more than I expected to. There were parts towards the middle that were a little slow and wordy, especially in Dash's point of view, but the end was very rewarding. I highly enjoyed how the book entertained and dismantled the idea of the idea of a person versus the reality of a person, and the mostly realistic situations that happen in place of the dreamy, romantic events that someone may want. A really good, light holiday read. ( )
  cbrwn92 | Jan 13, 2015 |
This is my first Rachel Cohn & David Levithan book that I have read by them and it won't be my last. This was a really cute and fun book for the Christmas Time, and I really did love and adore it. I loved everything about it especially David Levithan writing style. I will most definitely read more of his books in the near feature. I just love how he wrote Dash he is one of my favorite characters he is really intelligent and snarly I just love that about him! Now I did like Lily but she was a little annoying to me don't get me wrong I did like Rachel Cohn writing style, but it was a bit slow for me at the beginning and I had too get used too it for a little while. But all and all I really loved and adored everything about Dash & Lily's Book Of Dares that I will most definitely read and check out more books by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn soon. Until Next Time My! ( )
  Katiria_Rodriguez | Dec 23, 2014 |

Rachel Cohnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levithan, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Real Dash's Mom
Imagine this: You're in your favourite bookstore, scanning the shelves.

Told in the alternating voices of Dash and Lily, two sixteen-year-olds carry on a wintry scavenger hunt at Christmas-time in New York, neither knowing quite what--or who--they will find.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,820,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible