Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel…

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (2010)

by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan

9561229,073 (4)29

contemporary fiction, family, friendship, holidays, humor, love, New York City, realistic fiction, relationships, romance, scavenger hunt, treasure hunt, young adult, male protagonist, female protagonist, alternating protagonist ( )
  MzzColby | Jan 19, 2015 |
I ended up liking this book a great deal more than I expected to. There were parts towards the middle that were a little slow and wordy, especially in Dash's point of view, but the end was very rewarding. I highly enjoyed how the book entertained and dismantled the idea of the idea of a person versus the reality of a person, and the mostly realistic situations that happen in place of the dreamy, romantic events that someone may want. A really good, light holiday read. ( )
  cbrwn92 | Jan 13, 2015 |
This is my first Rachel Cohn & David Levithan book that I have read by them and it won't be my last. This was a really cute and fun book for the Christmas Time, and I really did love and adore it. I loved everything about it especially David Levithan writing style. I will most definitely read more of his books in the near feature. I just love how he wrote Dash he is one of my favorite characters he is really intelligent and snarly I just love that about him! Now I did like Lily but she was a little annoying to me don't get me wrong I did like Rachel Cohn writing style, but it was a bit slow for me at the beginning and I had too get used too it for a little while. But all and all I really loved and adored everything about Dash & Lily's Book Of Dares that I will most definitely read and check out more books by David Levithan and Rachel Cohn soon. Until Next Time My! ( )
  Katiria_Rodriguez | Dec 23, 2014 |
I grabbed this book at The Strand while I was in NYC for Book Expo America which is pretty cool in it's own right since the book starts right in that very store. I got it to read while I was lounging in the hotel room and ended up finishing it in short order. I loved the beginning of this book more than the ending but I will explain.

This book was a sensual experience for me because it let me explore some of the places I have visited or longed to visit in New York City and live them through someone else's eyes. I loved "the chase" part of this book...in the beginning when Dash and Lily are still shrouded in mystery to each other. It was the best part of the novel, I felt as disappointed as Dash felt the first time he meets Lily when I got to that part too. Maybe it was on purpose.

I liked how Dash and Lily are completely weird in their own individual way. I couldn't decide if they were both too much or if I just have a short view of teenage oddity. Dash and Lily is a cute, sweet, teenage adventure I will probably read again. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Where to begin, where to begin ...

This book, for the most part, was terrible. And I don't think it's because I'm reading a Christmas book in January, either.

Dash is very cynical and whiny to the point where you want to punch as many of his teeth out in one hit as you can. He comes off as one of those douchebags who hate Christmas because it is a popular holiday celebrated by many people. He drops the names of books, quotes thesaurus's. I'm pretty sure it was meant to show how "smart" he was, but no. He just comes across as an epic douche. There's no getting around it. You fucked up.

Lily is very sheltered and annoying. This insult, coming from someone who has also been sheltered, is pretty freaking big. She chucks fit after fit, and for a long time I thought I was reading about a pre-pubescent little girl and got scared, wondering why her brother would want her to go out and try and find a boyfriend - she's way too young for that, I thought. Until I realised she's supposed to be, what, sixteen? I dunno. I don't think it's stated in the book how old these characters are.

I found myself skimming again. This is not something I thought I would do reading a book that is so popular, but there you go. It was boring, cheesy, cliche - did I mention boring?

The premise was interesting, but the execution of the premise left a lot to be desired. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |

Rachel Cohnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levithan, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Real Dash's Mom
Imagine this: You're in your favourite bookstore, scanning the shelves.

Told in the alternating voices of Dash and Lily, two sixteen-year-olds carry on a wintry scavenger hunt at Christmas-time in New York, neither knowing quite what--or who--they will find.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,063,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible