Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel…

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (2010)

by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan

Recently added byranity, Alkmini_A, Thebookdiva, bookavid, private library, Luua, kerers, Winoko21, km_elyse

In "Dash and Lily's Book of Dares" the sixteen-year-old pretentious word-enthusiast Dashiell meets Lily, a chick who isn't really good at anything besides pretending to fit in. Fueled by an idea of Lily's brother Langston, they exchange memories and messages via a notebook. The catch? In order to be able to read the message, you have to complete a scavenger hunt for the notebook.

The main problem of this novel is that the authors obviously didn't have anything to say.
I assume due to being familiar with Levithan's writings, that he wrote the point-of-view passages of Dash, and Rachel Cohn, of whom I haven't read anything so far, wrote the part of Lily. Even Levithan who is incredibly good at passing as a teenager in literature and creating vivid and likeable characters, just pretty much peed in the wind by creating Dash.

Dash is pretentious on John-Green-Level. He may be sixteen but uses words that nobody in their right mind would ever even have heard of. I know that Levithan himself is a word-enthusiast (I mean look at "The Lover's Dictionary" by him!), but there is way too much of himself in Dash in order to make him seem like a teenager. He's so smart, he's so educated and basically doesn't have a life outside of the novel, which also makes him a very flat character. Yeah, we have his ex-girlfriend there and his parents, but there's not much of a backstory to Dash. All we know about him is that he's pretty, with obviously dashingly (haha, so funny) blue eyes and that he, for what reason ever, digs Lily.

Lily on the other hand is so boring, it hurts. Does she even have an original thought? She's a football goalie and dresses funny while also being the shy kid (what?). The notebook, which made Dash grow interested in her in the first place, wasn't even her idea but yet he cares about her. Their relationship is barely existant. There are too many time skips and too few dialogue passages to even build a connection. I didn't care about them. The resolution felt rushed. Truly exchangable, boring characters. (Characters 1/5)

The plot itself isn't even good. In the beginning I was thrilled about this novel, because of David Levithan, and also because it seems like a smart, cute and easy romance novel if you read the back text. I'm so disappointed,
There are so many characters being introduced and then abandoned right away that it's hardly possible to make the connnections between them without skimming back some pages and rereading who the hell that guy/gal was again. I still didn't get Dash's connection to the gerbil dude and honestly, I couldn't care less. This just seems like a stupid convenient case of "chance" that doesn't make any sense in real life. I already forgot half the plot, especially because the notebook wasn't even the center of the story in the end. It just got weird after the grew more acquainted wiht each other and there were some scenes that are so ridiculous, I don't even have words. The scene where she catches the baby just made me shake my head. Honestly? HONESTLY?
(Plot 1/5)

You'd think that the combined force of two authors should produce a novel that's pretty much exquisite in both writing and plot. But yeah, we've already established that the plot wasn't really worth mention in this one and neither is the writing. I don't feel comfortable saying anything about Cohn because I haven't read anything by her, but I feel her dragging down Levithan. He doesn't usually write this badly and he isn't usually that pretentious (HE NEVER IS!), but this is just .... horrible. You can tell that they're trying so hard, squeezing out sentences in the hope of eventually creating a memorable quote. If you don't do this correctly, you just end up with annoying, pretentious nonsense. This is exactly what this novel is. (Writing 2/5)

Rating:★★☆☆☆
Overall: Do I recommend?

NO!!! If you're not familiar with David Levithan yet, don't read this as your first work by him. This is by far the most terrible thing I've ever read by him and it's by no means a good novel. That doesn't mean that it's a bad novel either but I personally just felt like I wasted my time. This novel lacks a message, the characters lack ... character, and also interpersonal relationships.
- See more at: http://thebookavid.blogspot.de/ ( )
  bookavid | Oct 16, 2014 |
Aw. ♥

Well, the story is delightful, funny, feisty. I had a good laugh. :)

“The important people in our lives leave imprints. They may stay or go in the physical realm, but they are always there in your heart, because they helped form your heart. There's no getting over that.”

Well, I want to believe, too.

“I want to believe there is a somebody out there for me. I want to believe that I exist to be there for that somebody.” ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Aw. ♥

Well, the story is delightful, funny, feisty. I had a good laugh. :)

Well, I want to believe, too.

margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
Buena trama. Malos personajes.

Un cuaderno rojo es abandonado en una librería, dentro están escritos una serie de retos para quien lo encuentre. Así comienza el intercambio de retos entre Dash y Lily. Una historia con mucho potencial, pero que los autores no supieron aprovechar.

Los personajes son... lo peor. Demasiado forzados. Demasiado pretenciosos.

Dash no deja de recordarnos lo "inteligente" que es, lo mucho que lee, la gran cantidad de palabras que sabe, lo superior que es al resto de la raza adolescente. Hasta el punto de dejar de ser interesante para comenzar a ser ABURRIDO. Cada vez que venía un capitulo desde el punto de vista de Dash tenía que forzarme a seguir leyendo.

Y Lily, bueno, una Mary Sue más. Buena hasta el punto de angelical. Infantil hasta el punto de parecer de 3 años mas que de 16. Estoy casi convencida de que Lily tiene algún tipo de retraso mental, NADIE es así es a los 16 años. Y sobretodo, nadie es así a los 16 años, VIVIENDO en Nueva York. Simplemente, no es creíble.

Hay historias que funcionan mejor en películas que en libros, y creo que esta es una de esas. Así que espero la adaptación, que ya fue anunciada. ( )
  Glire | Jul 7, 2014 |
Characters=obnoxious & pretentious.
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |

Rachel Cohnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levithan, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Real Dash's Mom
Imagine this: You're in your favourite bookstore, scanning the shelves.

Told in the alternating voices of Dash and Lily, two sixteen-year-olds carry on a wintry scavenger hunt at Christmas-time in New York, neither knowing quite what--or who--they will find.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible