Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by David…

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (original 2010; edition 2011)

by David Levithan, Rachel Cohn (Author)

Member:elliepotten
Title:Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
Authors:David Levithan (Author)
Other authors:Rachel Cohn (Author)
Info:Ember (2011), Paperback, 260 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Children's & YA, Read in 2012
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, young adult, family, romance, humour, Christmas, New York, America

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn (2010)

I’ve seen Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares on a lot of people’s Instagram especially at this time of year. I had never read it, and didn’t really know what it was about but I did know it was Christmas theme. I tried to make a December TBR that included more festive books and Dash and Lily happened to be at the top of my list.

I initially checked out the audiobook first and loved it. The narrators were hilarious and really brought the characters and story to life. I lent my daughter my phone so I couldn’t finish listening to the audiobook since I like to read and listen to the book at the same time; I decided to just read the remainder of the story. That turned out to be a bad idea; the story wasn’t nearly as funny as the audiobook.

Dash is a bit serious but has a funny side to him. I enjoyed his chapters the most. It maybe because I’m a little more on the serious side, I could relate to him more than Lily. Lily was the kind of character I just wanted to wrap up in a plastic bubble because I felt like anything or anyone could crush her spirit and I just couldn’t have that. But most of the time she was so naïve that I just couldn’t connect with her but maybe if I was sixteen I could?

The story was fun, unique and a bit over the top. I didn’t think it could actually be possible for all the things they did to actually happen but if they did that would be awesome! Anyway, when I finished the story it lacked something. I’m not sure what but it was lacking. Perhaps it was switching from the audiobook to the paperback that made me feel like I was missing something.

Overall, this was a cute story a bit over the top like I mentioned. But it is a good story to get you into the Holiday spirit.
  tina_thebookworm | Feb 12, 2016 |
This turned out to be a quick, entertaining read, perfect for the Christmas season. Dash and Lily are both quirky and bookish, and are brought together through a red notebook. As the notebook is passed back and forth, these two unlikely teens become drawn to each other. At times Lily seems younger than sixteen, while Dash slightly older. Although totally unrealistic, this is a cute read and an unusual romance. Very enjoyable for the romantics at heart. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
A really lovely Christmassy story. I've read quite a few 'heavy' books this year and needed something more light-hearted. This completely fit the bill. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
Teenagers Dash and Lily end up communicating through a red notebook they leave around New York City for one another (often through relatives). They share secrets and thoughts with one another and dare each other to do things (brave things, mostly, not stupid things). They each think maybe they are falling in love through the notebook but can't be sure. They are sure that the exercise is making them learn things about themselves. Quirky and fun, but never quite settled in to hitting all the right notes for me. *shrug* Pleasant, and I liked it well enough that someday I'll probably try one of the other books Cohn and Levithan wrote together. ( )
  lycomayflower | Dec 20, 2015 |

Rachel Cohnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levithan, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Real Dash's Mom
Imagine this: You're in your favourite bookstore, scanning the shelves.

Told in the alternating voices of Dash and Lily, two sixteen-year-olds carry on a wintry scavenger hunt at Christmas-time in New York, neither knowing quite what--or who--they will find.

192 wanted3 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,262,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible