Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by David…

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (original 2010; edition 2011)

by David Levithan (Author), Rachel Cohn (Author)

Member:elliepotten
Title:Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
Authors:David Levithan (Author)
Other authors:Rachel Cohn (Author)
Info:Ember (2011), Paperback, 260 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, young adult, Christmas

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn (2010)

English (165)  All (1)  All (166)
I should have read this book during Christmas season. The story is so cute. If only I will have someone like that. I like Dash's nerdy personality. And I like their anonymity dares. ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
I loved this book and it is now officially my Christmas "read" (in case anyone is at all interested my official Christmas "watch" is The Family Stone) thus revealing my mile-wide sentimental streak. What's not to like in a love story set in wintry New York City that has episodes in The Strand and carol-singers from eclectic backgrounds? I was impressed that the inevitable story arc of misunderstandings and attractions to other people was not entirely cliched and I very much enjoyed the change of voice according to whether Dash or Lily were reporting their treasure hunt "courtship" (the authors write alternate chapters without conferring and in this story it does actually work) I wasn't surprised to see that the book is published by an imprint of Harlequin, but it was heaps better than the teenage romances I used to read (and Barbara Cartland!!) I'm glad it stayed on my TBR shelf until the festive season and that I picked up just in time. It's sweet and delightful and can be read in a sitting - just right for a snowy winter's afternoon. ( )
  Deborahrs | Apr 15, 2017 |
3.5 stars

Read my review here: Ruby's Books ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
This review is also posted on my blog http://acascadeofbooks.blogspot.co.uk/
I requested this novel from Net Galley, and I was luckily approved an ebook copy.

I read this book around Christmas, as I was looking for a Christmassy read, and I knew this one is popular with quite a few people on Goodreads.
I really liked the ideas in this novel, I thought the idea of the dares was a really good one, I only wish they had gone on longer. I also really liked the family backgrounds of the two main characters and the amount of detail that the authors went into was good, even if I found their family situations a little far fetched. I liked all the music references that were throughout the novel, I thought that was a cool addition. I thought the relationship between the two main characters was nice, I thought it seemed like a sensible, real life situation and a believable relationship. I thought the idea of the two authors writing alternate chapters, from their character was a good idea which added to the narrative voice through the novel. I liked the main characters Dash and Lily, I liked their sarcasm, it added humour to the novel. I liked how daring they both were, how imaginative and ridiculous their dares that they set each other were. Dash's dislike of Christmas contrasted well with Lily's love of the festive season.
I really liked the New York setting, I would love to visit New York at Christmas, so it was nice to read about the different well known sites.
Overall I thought this was a cute read, it had some funny parts, but all in all it was a light hearted read, which made me feel happy and hopeful after reading. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
A fun and light-hearted book! Enjoyed it immensely. ( )
  pennylane78 | Aug 4, 2016 |

Rachel Cohnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Levithan, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Real Dash's Mom
Imagine this: You're in your favourite bookstore, scanning the shelves.

Told in the alternating voices of Dash and Lily, two sixteen-year-olds carry on a wintry scavenger hunt at Christmas-time in New York, neither knowing quite what--or who--they will find.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,519,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible