Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by David…

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares (original 2010; edition 2011)

by David Levithan (Author), Rachel Cohn (Author)

1,2001666,719 (3.97)32
Member:elliepotten
Title:Dash & Lily's Book of Dares
Authors:David Levithan (Author)
Other authors:Rachel Cohn (Author)
Info:Ember (2011), Paperback, 260 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Read in 2012
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, young adult, family, romance, humour, Christmas, New York, America

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn (2010)

English (165)  English (1)  English (166)
3.5 stars

Read my review here: Ruby's Books ( )
  Rubys.books | Oct 15, 2016 |
This review is also posted on my blog http://acascadeofbooks.blogspot.co.uk/
I requested this novel from Net Galley, and I was luckily approved an ebook copy.

I read this book around Christmas, as I was looking for a Christmassy read, and I knew this one is popular with quite a few people on Goodreads.
I really liked the ideas in this novel, I thought the idea of the dares was a really good one, I only wish they had gone on longer. I also really liked the family backgrounds of the two main characters and the amount of detail that the authors went into was good, even if I found their family situations a little far fetched. I liked all the music references that were throughout the novel, I thought that was a cool addition. I thought the relationship between the two main characters was nice, I thought it seemed like a sensible, real life situation and a believable relationship. I thought the idea of the two authors writing alternate chapters, from their character was a good idea which added to the narrative voice through the novel. I liked the main characters Dash and Lily, I liked their sarcasm, it added humour to the novel. I liked how daring they both were, how imaginative and ridiculous their dares that they set each other were. Dash's dislike of Christmas contrasted well with Lily's love of the festive season.
I really liked the New York setting, I would love to visit New York at Christmas, so it was nice to read about the different well known sites.
Overall I thought this was a cute read, it had some funny parts, but all in all it was a light hearted read, which made me feel happy and hopeful after reading. ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
A fun and light-hearted book! Enjoyed it immensely. ( )
  pennylane78 | Aug 4, 2016 |
Buena trama. Malos personajes.

Un cuaderno rojo es abandonado en una librería, dentro están escritos una serie de retos para quien lo encuentre. Así comienza el intercambio de retos entre Dash y Lily. Una historia con mucho potencial, pero que los autores no supieron aprovechar.

Los personajes son... lo peor. Demasiado forzados. Demasiado pretenciosos.

Dash no deja de recordarnos lo "inteligente" que es, lo mucho que lee, la gran cantidad de palabras que sabe, lo superior que es al resto de la raza adolescente. Hasta el punto de dejar de ser interesante para comenzar a ser ABURRIDO. Cada vez que venía un capitulo desde el punto de vista de Dash tenía que forzarme a seguir leyendo.

Y Lily, bueno, una Mary Sue más. Buena hasta el punto de angelical. Infantil hasta el punto de parecer de 3 años mas que de 16. Estoy casi convencida de que Lily tiene algún tipo de retraso mental, NADIE es así es a los 16 años. Y sobretodo, nadie es así a los 16 años, VIVIENDO en Nueva York. Simplemente, no es creíble.

Hay historias que funcionan mejor en películas que en libros, y creo que esta es una de esas. Así que espero la adaptación, que ya fue anunciada. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
CC and overdrive.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |

Rachel Cohnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Levithan, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Real Dash's Mom
Imagine this: You're in your favourite bookstore, scanning the shelves.

Told in the alternating voices of Dash and Lily, two sixteen-year-olds carry on a wintry scavenger hunt at Christmas-time in New York, neither knowing quite what--or who--they will find.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,655,631 books! | Top bar: Always visible