Savannah Grey by Cliff McNish

Savannah Grey (edition 2010)

by Cliff McNish (Author)

Member:wyvernfriend
Title:Savannah Grey
Authors:Cliff McNish (Author)
Info:London : Orion Children's Books, 2011, c2010.
Tags:fiction, read, 2012, library, december, paranormal, england, sound

Savannah Grey: A Horror Story by Cliff McNish

@ (1) ARC (3) danger (1) December (1) England (2) fantasy (3) favorites (1) fiction (4) funny (1) galley (1) horror (7) kids (1) monsters (3) mystery (1) nature (1) own (1) paranormal (4) PR (1) read (1) reviewed (2) romance (1) science fiction (3) signed (1) supernatural (2) teen (3) to-read (1) wars (1) wishlist (1) YA (4) young adult (4)

Overall ★★★★★
Story ★★★★★
Characters ★★★★★
Writing ★★★★★
Ending ★★★★★

It’s incredibly rare that a book manages to vault itself onto my “favorite books ever” list within the first two paragraphs. Only one book comes to mind, at least within recent memory: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman captivated me by the first line. Now I’ve found a second: Cliff McNish’s Savannah Grey, and it did so with incredible force.

What did it? Paragraph number 2: “Reaching number thirty-three, Savannah Grey’s house, the Horror dropped its star-shaped head on one side, knotted its murderous claws behind its back, and tried to work out the most entertaining way to reach Savannah’s bedroom. There were many ways available, but the Horror was young and like all young things, it liked to use its teeth.”

How, I ask, can a book be dull with an opening like that? I was immediately captivated. Not even the change in narrative styles to first person once Savannah awoke diminished the storytelling. I was delighted when I saw that the original voice returned every few chapters to detail more of the Horror and the ancient Ocrassa that controlled it. Neither voice suffered, instead offering a depth to the already compelling story.

While the human characters were well crafted, the monsters came to life with a vibrancy that made me want to see the child-like Horror prance about in a stolen leotard and chasse and leap about while terrorizing humans. The way McNish tells of the Ocrassa’s history is as though he is telling of the Earth itself, incredibly powerful and moving. While explicitly evil, the Ocrassa is rendered in such a way that its actions seemed logical given what it was. I’ve never seen a writer make monsters feel so natural in our world. It’s incredible and not something I can accurately express in a brief review.

In addition to all this, the book ends exactly where and as it should. While there are some flaws (which I’d daresay are minor in comparison to its incredible strengths), I’ve read so few books that seemed nearly perfect in so many ways. This is one you have to read for yourself. Although many of you may disagree with my thoughts, you can’t read this and not wonder at the incredibly rich and original universe McNish created here. It’s astounding.
  shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |
Savannah Grey has a new home, new foster parents and a new issue. There is something strange going on in her throat, she's making strange sounds and it's making her very worried. She's also reflexly protectective of it, dangerously so.

She has a feeling something is following her and is trying to do something and she's not sure what that something is. She's also attracted to Reece who has some of the same abilities.

It twists and turns and the ending came as a shock, even if it was flagged and perfect for the story. An excellent read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 10, 2012 |
I was expecting creepy when I picked this book up (based solely on the cover, which I think is amazing!), but I didn't quite know what it was going to be like. This was beyond creepy. Maybe it's because I have a bit of a neck phobia, with fears of choking. McNish does an excellent job of describing exactly what Savannah is going through and it really brings to life her terror over what is happening to her.

Savannah was a likable enough character, believable in her fear and in her sudden crazy desire to protect what is in her throat. She confused and scared pretty much the entire book and it works well to keep the suspense going, wondering if the thing inside of her is good or evil.

But it's the monsters that are amazing. They are described in a way that brings them to life and unlike so many other storybook monsters we get inside their minds and are able to understand what is driving them to do what they are attempting. McNish does such a good job of this that there were points that I even felt sympathy for them.

The best part is that I was completely surprised by the ending. Looking back I can see the little things that would have pointed me in the right direction, but even then I wouldn't have expected it. Wonderful book and definitely a read for anyone looking for a bit of creepiness. ( )
  AngelaFristoe | Aug 12, 2012 |
To see my review:http://bookvacations.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/arc-review-savannah-grey-by-cliff-mcnish/ ( )
  ABookVacation | Nov 12, 2011 |
Savannah Grey isn’t your typical teen, though she’s probably not that abnormal either. Moving from foster home to foster home she’s finally settled on a place that may last throughout the end of her high school years. Only problem? She’s starting to feel suffocated. Not only that, but her throat is making odd sounds at inopportune times. Of course odd sounds don’t always bode well for a new romance. Will Savannah make the difficult decision to repair her throat by whatever means possible and will it be enough to secure her future with an illusive new boy? Or is it possible the universe has something entirely different in store for her?

So, generally speaking, I’m just not the type of girl that picks up science fiction reads. It’s just not my thing. Normally. Well, after being completely drawn in first by the cover of Savannah Grey and then by the synopsis I couldn’t help but want to devour the pages as quickly as possible. I’m so glad I did. Funny thing about that is that I actually read this book nearly three months ago and have waited posting my review because I couldn’t logically put into words exactly what I thought. I’m certain I’m no better now than I was three months ago, but I can honestly say this is a book that won’t let you go; I’ve been thinking about it since I finished it.

Cliff McNish has come up with an incredibly unique story line and I think that’s what really grabbed me about the story. Not often do you find a young adult novel about evolution and science fiction that is so accessible. Savannah Grey alternates narrators between the character Savannah Grey and the alien life form that opposes her, which is rather interesting to read. The concept of an alien life form that has basically evolved from a single cell into a formidable adversary was something I’d really never read before. Couple that with the weapon that Savannah has unknowingly concealed inside her throat, also another evolutionary trick against this foe, and you have a positively gripping read.

Now, as for the “non-scientific” aspects of the story, specifically her romantic interest as well as her home and friends, it was sometimes touch and go. I loved that the lead character was female and a powerful leading lady at that. I also loved the conflict that arose within herself regarding the weapon in her throat. What confused me at times was her sudden enthrallment with Reece. Still, even this was only a fleeting feeling because as the story progressed you were able to discover more and more why she would in fact be drawn to him. I’ll tell you this, it has nothing to do with his charming nature or good looks, be prepared to be surprised. With those feelings resolved by the end of the book the other aspects of her life, such as her friendships and foster care situation made her more real and much easier to connect with.

What if life wasn’t as simple as yes, I’m normal or no, I’m abnormal? And what if your options leaned more toward the, “I could possibly be a monster” side of things. For Savannah Grey her nightmares are only just beginning and though her sudden new companionship brings her comfort it also raises many questions. Will Savannah make the right choice? Discover a fantastic new science fiction young adult novel and be prepared to be surprised as well as possibly discover an entire new genre to look into. Cliff McNish has created a cast of characters and a story that will not easily be forgotten; one I will definitely be recommending for some time to come. ( )
  the1stdaughter | Apr 20, 2011 |

Fifteen-year-old Savannah Grey has never felt she's belonged. She keeps her distance, so she's surprised by her attraction to the new boy Reece. Then strange things begin to happen: nature, it seems, is exerting an overpowering force on the world. Birds behave strangely; gusts of wind blow leaves so fiercely they seem to lure people away. And Savannah learns she has supernatural powers. Nature has a purpose for Savannah and her friends. For they are on course to meet the vile and evil Orcrassa, who wants to destroy the world by corrupting nature. And it wants Savannah Grey to help realise its savage intent.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,657,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible