Time Stops for No Mouse by Michael Hoeye

Time Stops for No Mouse (1999)

by Michael Hoeye

715None13,122 (3.89)18

Hermux is a very charming mouse. He can fix very complicated very broken time pieces. He lives simply with his pet ladybug. And he is on the side of the angels every single time. ( )
  paakre | Apr 27, 2013 |
This book is about Hermux Tantamoq. He is an average, hard working mouse. He owns a watch shop. Hermux has an average life for every other mouse. He has a ladybug named Terfle. Hermux would never expect anything strange or different to happen. He falls in love with Linka Perflinger.
Linka went to Hermux's watch shop so he would repair her watch. His life has changed once he has met Linka. Some rat tries to claim her watch as his own. Hermux believes that something has gone wrong. He finds out that Linka has been kidnapped. He tries to find clues as to where Linka could me. Hermux goes on an adventure searching for Linka.
I gave this book five stars because it was an amazing book. It was a hair-raising book with a huge mystery. The "least expected" happened in this story. My favorite part was when Linka Perflinger came into Hermux's watch shop. It included a giant adventure but with some romance. This book is definitely five stars. I would recommend this book to other readers. ( )
  Shanon.sval5976 | Mar 28, 2012 |
Hermux Tantamoq’s quiet life as a watchmaker is shaken to its core when adventuress Linka Perflinger asks him to fix her watch. The mouse is then drawn into a world he’s never experienced, filled with adventure, danger, and mystery. Will Hermux be able to solve the puzzle before it is too late?
  laurajvpowers | May 21, 2011 |
Having children of my own, I feel that it is important to read and keep up with some of the things that they are interested in. For a year or so my second oldest has been raving about this book, Time Stops for No Mouse, and requesting that I read it since it is one of her top picks.

I'm happy that I did.

This is a simple read for children and adults alike. It reminded me of the stories I read in my youth about adventures and the such (The Borrowers, The Little's, The Indian in the Cupboard, The Rescuers, as an example) and I was happy to see this style done "anew" for my child to enjoy.

Many of the other reviews have told you what the story is about (little old mouse, finds himself caught up in a mystery while in his attempt to save someone he doesn't really know but feels is in trouble) but I like to inform you that this may very much well be a book worth reading to younger to children at night (a chapter at a time) or for older children (and adults) to read on their own.

Time Stops for No Mouse may end up like Charlotte's Web and Wind in the Willows; that bed time read aloud classic that we all remember from our youth or the youth of our children. ( )
  Katrinia17 | Dec 28, 2010 |
A middle grades book that is rated "Not Too Scary," I bought this book in hopes that it would intrigue any one of my children. Somehow it managed to stay on the shelf so I thought I'd take it down, read it, and see if I could recommend it to them. I am pleased to say that this was indeed a cute book that is liable to appeal to all of the residents under five feet here.

Hermux Tantamoq is a mouse who works in a watch and clock shop. He takes great pride in his work and so is a little put off when daredevil aviatrix Linka Perflinger leaves her watch to be repaired, admonishing Hermux that it must keep perfect time, and them fails to return to pick it up. He knows something is wrong when a less than savory rat asks for Linka's watch and so this mild-mannered mouse decides to follow the rat and see where he goes. This plunges him into a kidnapping mystery with a biological bent. The characters surrounding Hermux are eccentric and fun. The evil villains are ruthless and sneaky. The plot zips along at a good clip with revelations, both expected and unexpected, coming fast and furious. Hoeye leaves a trail of clues for an astute reader to solve the mystery but I must admit I'm not that reader, even when the book is written for children less than half my age. But even though I didn't figure out the entirety of the whodunit, I thoroughly enjoyed this adventurous and delightful novel. It reminded me of nothing so much as the wonderful, from-my-childhood movie The Rescuers in tone and flavor. The first in a series, I hope to convince the kiddos to read it while I move along to the second. ( )
1 vote whitreidtan | Jul 10, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0698119916, Paperback)

It's impossible not to like Hermux Tantamoq, the watchmaking mouse. He relaxes in a flannel shirt printed with pictures of cheeses from around the world, he has a caged pet ladybug named Terfle, he writes endearing thank-you letters to the universe each night, and he has a big heart--a heart that aches for the fearless aviatrix Ms. Linka Perflinger, who unexpectedly visits his shop requesting an emergency rush repair of her wristwatch. Little does he know that this brief rendezvous with the jaunty adventuress will change his life forever. When a week goes by without word from her, he doesn't know whether to be worried or angry. He drafts a slightly unpleasant, then desperate, then not-too-sweet, not-too-sour letter to her and awaits her response. Nothing. Even nasty encounters with his neighbor (the horribly garish and affected cosmetics tycoon Tucka Mertslin) and pleasant interludes with his artist friend Mirrin don't distract him from his new heart-quickening obsession.

His worst fears start to cement when a yellow-eyed, thin-lipped, sharp-tongued rat comes to his shop and says with a dreadful smile, "I've come for Linka Perflinger's watch." Hermux isn't about to fork over his beloved's watch without a claim check, and ends up following the rat... all the way to Linka's house! And, what's this? Is she being kidnapped? The plot thickens as Hermux boldly enters her apartment (what has gotten into him?) and discovers a mysterious letter from Teulabonari and an overturned spicy-smelling plant. As he says to his ladybug that night, "This is the beginning of a new career for me. Either as a detective or a jailbird. Only time will tell. If it turns out to be the latter I will be asking you for hints on decorating my cage." Soon he begins to make a connection with these strange clues and the cosmetics mogul Tucka, who pulls him into her scheme to create eternal youth in a bottle (to be taken internally).

Suffice it to say that gentle Hermux gets in way over his head with his detective work and proceeds to have fur-raising encounters involving spies, thieves, killers, betrayal, the Fountain of Youth, snakes, calliopes, and dramatic rescue attempts. Throughout it all, however, Hermux continues to thank the world at large: "Thank you for corner grocers. For sandwiches and honey fizz. For scary news and narrow escapes and trolleys and shopping bags. Thank you for loyal pets and bold adventurers (and adventuresses)." Readers will be disarmed by Hermux's earnest, inquisitive nature and zeal for life--and thoroughly engaged by the suspenseful action adventure. Highly recommended! (Ages 10 to adult) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:48 -0400)

When Linka Perflinger, a jaunty mouse, brings a watch into his shop to be repaired and then disappears, Hermux Tantamoq is caught up in a world of dangerous search for eternal youth as he tries to find out what happened to her.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible