On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason…

On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision (original 2010; edition 2010)

by William Lane Craig (Author), Lee Strobel (Foreword)

Member:ianlewisfiction
Title:On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision
Authors:William Lane Craig (Author)
Other authors:Lee Strobel (Foreword)
Info:David C. Cook (2010), Edition: New, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Christian apologetics

On Guard: Defending Your Faith with Reason and Precision by William Lane Craig (2010)

Philosophical, scientific, mathematic, logical arguments for the creation of the universe, earth, and life by God, and the existence and resurrection of Jesus. These can not only strengthen the faith of believers, but help them defend their faith and point out the errors and inconsistencies of the arguments of non-believers and skeptics. I love arguments like this and it is important for Christians to engage the world and culture to create a climate that continues to consider Christianity as a viable and desirable worldview. This is less detailed than Craig’s other book, Reasonable Faith. I have the study guide for this book and would like to develop it into a Bible study. We have a faith that can stand up to open-minded questions very well. God has given us a brain and has given us reason. However, reason, by itself, cannot lead us to God without the Holy Spirit. I might have some disagreements with him on Chapter 10, but the other nine chapters are outstanding. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
Being an electronic engineer I have to say that Dr. Craig in this book uses a complete blowing minded logic and reasoning. Holding also a bachelor degree in Theology, I have to add that I am not ashamed to confess that I learned a lot with this book on how to defend my faith with property and confidence.
For all those who profess being a Christian, this is a must have book, by far the best on Christian apologetics that I read.
His language is simple, direct and the sequence of topics is very well organized, following precisely the logic and reasoning that you find in all his words. In ten Chapters he covers the following topics: What is apologetics?; What difference does it make if God exists?; Why does anything at all exists?; Why did the universe begin?; Why is the universe fine-tuned for life?; Can we be good without God?; What about suffering?; Who was Jesus?; Did Jesus rise from the dead? Is Jesus the only way to God?
This book was written by Dr. William Lane Craig and was published by David C. Cook in March 2010. It is definitely an amazing book and I am very happy that B&B Media Group was kind enough to send me a copy for review.

Read more reviews on my blog http://booksandmoviesreviews.blogspot.com and leave comments!
  rmattos | Jan 23, 2016 |
and study guide
  T.E.I. | Nov 18, 2015 |
William Lane Craig is a very sophisticated apologist for Christianity and this book is a very sophisticated argument first, for the existence of God and, second, for the historicity of Jesus Christ and his resurrection.
The philosophical arguments for the existence of “God” were the most interesting and compelling in the book. Craig is a professional philosopher who studied under John Hick. The topic of his PhD was Liebniz's cosmological argument for the existence of “God”. And his careful and articulate presentation of the argument and refutation of major criticisms is very persuasive and logically coherent. In addition to these arguments, Craig also presents a moral argument for God's existence.
Craig also studied under the NT scholar Wolfhart Pannenberg and he draws on Pannenberg's scholarship in mounting an argument for the historicity of Jesus Christ.
For me, the philosophical arguments were excellent. I didn't enjoy the arguments for Christ's historicity as much - I have more questions about those than the philosophical arguments. And I thought his justification of Christian claims to exclusivity of salvation through Christ could have been better.
William Lane Craig is a frequent target of atheists and there are times I agree with some of the those criticisms. I can't help believing, however, that some of those criticisms are based on a misunderstanding of Craig's arguments.
If you are looking for a clear, articulate defence of (specifically) Christian belief in the existence of God and the historicity of Christ then this book is a good place to start - for believers and non-believers alike. ( )
1 vote spbooks | Sep 6, 2013 |

William Lane Craigprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wall, MatsTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Provides four arguments for God's existance, looks at the historicity of the resurrection of Jesus, analyzes suffering, and describes why religious relativism does not work, in a guide to help Christians defend their faith.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,165,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible