Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life…

Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs

by Ellen Galinsky

Recently added byccoxon, ThinkUnlimited, Kbernard, KMClark, miezetatze, private library, AAM_mommy, mmcneese

I really enjoyed this book. It discussed the seven essential life skills every child needs in order to be successful. Some of the topics included self-control, focus, perspective taking, communication, and critical thinking. Not only can children benefit from the read, but parents and teachers as well. ( )
  Kbernard | Jul 17, 2014 |
While reading Mind in the Making, there were some moments I felt I was reading common sense statements. I am not proclaiming to be a perfect mother or teacher, but I felt reassured knowing that many of Galinsky’s points I either agreed with or have tried her methods/approaches. I believe the seven skills mapped out throughout the book are pretty on point, although I felt at times some topics definitely intertwined with others. The highlight of the text had to be the various personal vignettes dispersed throughout. I loved reading that other parents and kids experience the same questions, concerns, discipline issues, fears, etc as my family. Some of these story snippets were so simplistic yet so correct in reminding me of the innocence of children. ( )
  KMClark | Jul 5, 2014 |
I found this unsatisfying - I had read more in depth books on many of the topics. But I might recommend it to someone sticking their toe in the water of the child development ocean. ( )
  francescadefreitas | Sep 26, 2011 |
Things you can do to enhance a child’s ability to wait, interest in learning, etc. A mix of research plus some concrete suggestions for games and approaches to particular recurring problems. Never praise your kid for being smart, only for working hard! Etc. I feel like I’ve seen most of this stuff before, but it could make a good introduction, plus the author is very reassuring, not like some advice which suggests that if you didn’t do X prenatally and thereafter your child is doomed. ( )
  rivkat | May 20, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006173232X, Paperback)

"What kind of person do I want my child to be?"

There are hundreds of books that give parents advice on everything from weaning to toilet training, from discipline to nutrition. But in spite of this overwhelming amount of information, there is very little research-based advice for parents on how to raise their children to be well rounded and achieve their full potential, helping them learn to take on life's challenges, communicate well with others, and remain committed to learning. These are the "essential life skills" that Ellen Galinsky has spent her career pursuing, through her own studies and through decades of talking with more than a hundred of the most outstanding researchers in child development and neuroscience. The good news is that there are simple everyday things that all parents can do to build these skills in their children for today and for the future. They don't cost money, and it's never too late to begin.

In Mind in the Making, Ellen Galinsky has grouped this research into seven critical areas that children need most: (1) focus and self control; (2) perspective taking; (3) communicating; (4) making connections; (5) critical thinking; (6) taking on challenges; and (7) self-directed, engaged learning. For each of these skills, Galinsky shows parents what the studies have proven, and she provides numerous concrete things that parents can do—starting today—to strengthen these skills in their children. These aren't the kinds of skills that children just pick up; these skills have to be fostered. They are the skills that give children the ability to focus on their goals so that they can learn more easily and communicate what they've learned. These are the skills that prepare children for the pressures of modern life, skills that they will draw on now and for years to come.

Mind in the Making is a truly groundbreaking book, one that teaches parents how to give children the most important tools they will need. Already acclaimed by such thought leaders as T. Berry Brazelton, M.D., David A. Hamburg, M.D., Adele Faber, and Judy Woodruff, Mind in the Making is destined to become a classic in the literature of parenting.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:17 -0400)

Bringing the work of more than a hundred scientists into a form that parents everywhere can use, Galinsky has divided this information into the seven skills she believes all children should learn, showing parents not only what children are capable of, but specifically how to develop those capabilities in their children from birth up until age eight.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,281,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible