Cast in chaos by Michelle Sagara

Cast in chaos (edition 2010)

by Michelle Sagara

Member:amberwitch
Title:Cast in chaos
Authors:Michelle Sagara
Info:
Collections:Your library, Read, Reread
Rating:***
Tags:Fantasy, Magic, Dragons, Elves, Immortals, Police, Elementals, Series, Chronicles of Elantra, Chronicles of Elantra # 6

Cast in Chaos by Michelle Sagara

Recently added byCristinaLogg, mguernsey, mab98, Cynical_Ames, private library, cass_sanguine

I was a bit shocked at the thickness of this book, I had hopes it was going to be a wildly interesting ride. Sadly I was almost as disappointed with this one as I was the last.

Mostly, it was just too long, repetitive with some utterly useless paragraphs. I was tempted to get a red pen out and start crossing out the unnecessary parts. I especially grew tired of Kaylin repeating what she'd done or learned to everyone she encountered sometimes in greater detail than was needed.

However, there were a few things that peeked my interest which saved this from a two star rating. The blatant introduction to possible romance. So far in this series there's been none whatsoever. Kaylin's had a hard life and has showed no interest in love, sex or having her own children despite how much she loves them. We all knew Nightshade was interested in her but she's always remained reluctant. He finally makes a move and she reacts badly.

When Severn makes hints about his feelings, I'm relieved as I've been waiting for this for a while now, and when he explains his reasons for loving Kaylin and she acknowledges this it gave me hope. At the same time I grew worried that the status quo would remain in place despite their love for one another. I'm not sure Kaylin can handle it which is why Severn has said nothing for so long.

Parts of the plot were of interest to me, especially the origins of humans and the new race of people who've found their home within Tiamaris's fief. I look forward to reading about their progress and how the other races react to their presence/existence.

I am surprised Sagara hasn't done a book on the Aerians yet and that Kaylin hasn't got much closer to meeting the Dragon Emperor. I know that she desperately needs to learn self-preservation around those that can devour her but I hardly think etiquette lessons with a stuffy dragon will help matters. Besides she does pretty well with the Arkon and he's no picnic either. I really hope Cast in Ruins makes for a better read. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
New mysteries revealed about Kaylin's destiny and the runes on her arms and legs. Magic and other races with a heroine in a police officer type function. Nifty magic and out of the ordinary world building.

Same general microsubgenre as the Tamora Pierce books with a similarly situated heroine.

I do hope this gets wound up at some point - I'm enjoying the ride and the individual books have interesting and compelling stories, but a different "the world is ending" plot in each book at some point begins to overload me. That almost lost a star, but Sagara/West is too good at what she does. ( )
  romsfuulynn | Apr 29, 2013 |
I hesitated for awhile before tackling CAST IN CHAOS, mainly because I couldn't remember if I was caught up this far into the series. According to Goodreads I was, though after so much time had passed, I had a hard time remembering the details of past books. And there's a lot of references to past events in this book. Part of me couldn't wait to see what was going to unfold in CAST IN CHAOS, but most of me wanted to start over with book one to remind me of everything Kaylin's been through.

Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
Plot: 4 stars
Characters: 4 stars
Style: 4 stars
Pace: 3 1/2 stars

There are some really gorgeous bits in here, and pieces that made me want to just savor the words. They're few and far between in a slightly too long book for its content. Still, an enjoyable read. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
Decent but not stellar - I think she tosses these books off without putting much effort into them. ( )
  mbg0312 | Feb 14, 2012 |

Kaylin Neya is a Hawk, part of the elite force tasked with keeping the City of Elantra safe. Her past is dark, her magic uncontrolled, and her allies unpredictable. And nothing has prepared her for what is coming, when the charlatans on Elani Street suddenly grow powerful, the Oracles are thrown into an uproar and the skies rain blood….

The powerful of Elantra believe that the mysterious markings on Kaylin's skin hold the answer, and they are not averse to using her—how ever they have to—in order to discover what it is.

Something is coming, breaking through the barriers between the worlds. But is it a threat that Kaylin needs to defend her city against—or has she been chosen for another reason entirely?

"Kaylin Neya is a Hawk, part of the elite force tasked with keeping the City of Elantra safe. Her past is dark, her magic uncontrolled and her allies unpredictable. And nothing has prepared her for what is coming, when the charlatans on Elani Street suddenly grow powerful, the Oracles are thrown into an uproar and the skies rain blood.... The powerful of Elantra believe that the mysterious markings on Kaylin's skin hold the answer, and they are not averse to using her--how ever they have to--in order to discover what it is. Something is coming, breaking through the barriers between the worlds. But is it a threat that Kaylin needs to defend her city against--or has she been chosen for another reason entirely?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,399,764 books! | Top bar: Always visible