Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, Book…

Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, Book 6) (edition 2010)

by Michelle Sagara

Member:BevyAnn
Title:Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, Book 6)
Authors:Michelle Sagara
Info:Luna (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:shifter, witch, supernatural, Read but unowned

Cast in Chaos by Michelle Sagara

New mysteries revealed about Kaylin's destiny and the runes on her arms and legs. Magic and other races with a heroine in a police officer type function. Nifty magic and out of the ordinary world building.

Same general microsubgenre as the Tamora Pierce books with a similarly situated heroine.

I do hope this gets wound up at some point - I'm enjoying the ride and the individual books have interesting and compelling stories, but a different "the world is ending" plot in each book at some point begins to overload me. That almost lost a star, but Sagara/West is too good at what she does. ( )
  romsfuulynn | Apr 29, 2013 |
I hesitated for awhile before tackling CAST IN CHAOS, mainly because I couldn't remember if I was caught up this far into the series. According to Goodreads I was, though after so much time had passed, I had a hard time remembering the details of past books. And there's a lot of references to past events in this book. Part of me couldn't wait to see what was going to unfold in CAST IN CHAOS, but most of me wanted to start over with book one to remind me of everything Kaylin's been through.

Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
Plot: 4 stars
Characters: 4 stars
Style: 4 stars
Pace: 3 1/2 stars

There are some really gorgeous bits in here, and pieces that made me want to just savor the words. They're few and far between in a slightly too long book for its content. Still, an enjoyable read. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
Decent but not stellar - I think she tosses these books off without putting much effort into them. ( )
  mbg0312 | Feb 14, 2012 |
This is another series I've found really uneven. I love the world of Elantra and I love Sagara's writing. The problem is, at least in part, that there are things about the main character that drive me absolutely crazy, though I do find her more tolerable than I have sometimes in the past.

My main objection to this particular book has to do with a plot development from the previous novel in the series, Cast in Silence, which is both confirmed and continued here. I still don't care for it. Speaking of plot, somehow I didn't find the plot in this particular novel as interesting as some others in the series (which in no way means I found it entirely uninteresting or didn't like it). This may merely be because I'm very much waiting for some developments that these events delayed yet further.

All that being said, while I suspect it does not stand on its own, it's a enjoyable read and I certainly wouldn't recommend against it. ( )
  moontyger | Jun 4, 2011 |

Kaylin Neya is a Hawk, part of the elite force tasked with keeping the City of Elantra safe. Her past is dark, her magic uncontrolled, and her allies unpredictable. And nothing has prepared her for what is coming, when the charlatans on Elani Street suddenly grow powerful, the Oracles are thrown into an uproar and the skies rain blood….

The powerful of Elantra believe that the mysterious markings on Kaylin's skin hold the answer, and they are not averse to using her—how ever they have to—in order to discover what it is.

Something is coming, breaking through the barriers between the worlds. But is it a threat that Kaylin needs to defend her city against—or has she been chosen for another reason entirely?

"Kaylin Neya is a Hawk, part of the elite force tasked with keeping the City of Elantra safe. Her past is dark, her magic uncontrolled and her allies unpredictable. And nothing has prepared her for what is coming, when the charlatans on Elani Street suddenly grow powerful, the Oracles are thrown into an uproar and the skies rain blood.... The powerful of Elantra believe that the mysterious markings on Kaylin's skin hold the answer, and they are not averse to using her--how ever they have to--in order to discover what it is. Something is coming, breaking through the barriers between the worlds. But is it a threat that Kaylin needs to defend her city against--or has she been chosen for another reason entirely?"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,250,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible