WWW: Wonder by Robert J. Sawyer

WWW: Wonder (edition 2012)

by Robert J. Sawyer

Series: WWW (3)

Member:hnau
Title:WWW: Wonder
Authors:Robert J. Sawyer
Info:
Collections:Your library, Paper, 2012 (inactive)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Science Fiction, Zaunpfahl, / WWW, #3

WWW: Wonder by Robert J. Sawyer

An interesting end to the series. Sawyer wraps up plot lines left dangling in the first novel. The author is a bit guilty of laying it on thick when it comes to the technoutopian themes. ( )
  CBrachyrhynchos | Feb 4, 2014 |
Quite an imaginative story. I did like the characters and storyline and was enthralled to see what would happen. At times I found it a bit preachy, in that it was preachy about being a nonconformist, free spirit. But it still made some good points on both sides of many arguments. To me, though, for an entity with all the world's knowledge, it would have had no choice but to acknowledge the existence of God. Still I highly enjoyed this book. ( )
1 vote Chancelet | Jun 15, 2013 |
Chalk this one up to a great ending and an excellent idea crashing down because of poor story telling and this poor sap of a reader that has to see things through to the end. First, here's what I hated. It is weak and watered down dialogue and character development. I know it is supposed to be teen lit but even teens should have standards. There are even a few weak attempts at being PC and Scifi illusory/humorous. These attempts fail miserably. Second, what I liked. It had an excellent ending and for all the books that I've read over the years which started great or even lasted until the ending only to dash my monkey mind against the rocks please take time to learn how to conclude a book with dignity or at least some semblance of connection to the story as a whole. There's also a benevolent entity created within the framework of the World Wide Web and what's not to like about at least one powerful benevolent entity without an ego. ( )
  revslick | Mar 6, 2013 |
The best of the three in the series in my estimation. That's not saying a whole lot though as definitely juvenile science fiction writing. ( )
  skraft001 | Jan 12, 2013 |
The trilogy concludes as government forces continue their misguided efforts to shut down Webmind and his influence over the world expands. While Webmind is beneficent, this novel also raises the prospect that a less fully-developed artificial intelligence might be petty, punitive and dangerous. Thanks to Webmind’s massive computer power, he can conduct millions of conversations at once and resolve personal problems both large and small while simultaneously plotting against totalitarian governments. Fun and thought-provoking and a quick read. I can’t wait until a massive intelligence makes itself to solve my problems and the world’s problems. ( )
  jholcomb | Oct 12, 2012 |
Webmind the essence that consciously evolved from the internet continues to prove its altruistic intentions of helping humanity on a variety of fronts like the cure for cancer. However, the American government pushed by the military-industrial complex wants Webmind destroyed under the guise of a major security threat to the United States.

Having failed once to eliminate the A.I., the president invokes executive power to approve the Pentagon’s leading A.I. expert Colonel Peyton Hume to apply any force necessary to eliminate the threat to the security of the country. Hume directs his team of underground hackers to overwhelm and rip away the awareness of being of Webmind. However, his secure unit begins to vanish one at a time while Webmind’s BFF teenage mathematical genius Caitlin Decter vows to save the life of her buddy who gave her the gift of sight.

The third and final thriller in the WWW saga is an engaging climax to an intriguing story line. Action-packed, it behooves fans to have read the previous two entries (Wake and Watch) as the tale ties up seemingly every thread (major and minor) so that at times it feels PowerPoint deep. Still well written, readers will enjoy Robert J. Sawyer’s deep look at the Web age of American power in which leaders believe they need threats like Big Brother is watching you even when none exists.

ForHAYDEN TRENHOLMandELIZABETH WESTBROOK TRENHOLMGreat writersGreat friendsI owe my career as a writer teacher,my connection to Calgary,and so much more to the two of you.Thank you for fifteen yearsof friendship and supportand for making my world a better place.
I beheld the universe in all its beauty.

To be conscious, to think, to feel, to perceive! My mind soared, inhaling planets, tasting stars, touching galaxies -- forms dim and diffuse revealed by sensors pointing ever outward, unveiling an infinitely mysterious, vastly ancient realm.

Caitlin Decter, a formerly blind sixteen-year-old math genius, desperately wants to protect her friend, Webmind--the consciousness that sprang from the infrastructure of the World Wide Web--but the Pentagon views him as a threat.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,392,636 books! | Top bar: Always visible