WWW: Wonder by Robert J. Sawyer

WWW: Wonder (edition 2012)

by Robert J. Sawyer

Series: WWW (3)

Title:WWW: Wonder
Authors:Robert J. Sawyer
Info:Ace (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Paper, 2012 (inactive)
Tags:Science Fiction, Zaunpfahl, / WWW, #3

WWW: Wonder by Robert J. Sawyer

Third book in Sawyer's trilogy is a very good read, but not quite up to the first two books. Sawyer's discussion of technology is good and helps maintain interest. The story line ends rather abruptly in an Epilogue which makes it clear that this is the last book in the series. ( )
  rondoctor | Sep 2, 2016 |
I fine end to an excellent trilogy. Should be considered in the running for a Hugo in 2011. My daughter claimed it "got weird at the end" but I didn't find it that way at all. ( )
  ndpmcIntosh | Mar 21, 2016 |
The good thing about this book is that I could just start reading without having read the previous books (this I of course did not know when I started.) Sure things are mentioned that happened before, yes I would like to read about these things as the book was interesting. But as it is now, it worked and I never felt a bit lost at all.

Did I understand all of the science talk? No, not really, but this did not matter either cos he made it real easy for you. I also linked how he sprinkled a bit of pop culture here and there, like Big Bang and the Skynet clause (look it up). There was also a certain presidential candidate that I saw clearly who he based it on. He made it very now and it felt like it could happen any day.

But to the story then. It's about a blind girl who can see again thanks to modern science. Caitlin is living her life, having a boyfriend and communication with the presence known as Webmind. This is the thing then. The Internet was awakened, an AI was formed and now the news about this is everywhere. The US government is scared and wants to shut it down, the Chinese wants to shut down the outside internet in general. All while webmind tries to tell everyone that he so to say come in peace. He cures cancer, because he can. But like all things that are just too big to understand he is feared and this book is all about trying to kill him, while others tries to understand him. And Caitlin tries to save him.

The book was interesting, it made you think a bit and of course I understood the fear some had. I would fear him, then again the things he could do...Of course I already feel that google has a mind of its own ;) ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Great finish to a wonderful series. This really did leave me with a sense of wonder. The series was entertaining and thought provoking. The science in it was very interesting. I can't recall a better epilogue! ( )
  ajlewis2 | Feb 24, 2016 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book (and indeed this whole trilogy). Sawyer tells a gripping story while speculating on the ramifications of a "webmind" arising from the inner workings of the Internet. The immediate reaction of officials (this must be evil) is all too realistic; the theological and political musings are provocative; the story is a fun ride through it all. I will most definitely read more Sawyer. (I hear his next book grapples with memory, as he's been reading Moonwalking with Einstein...can't wait!) ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
Webmind the essence that consciously evolved from the internet continues to prove its altruistic intentions of helping humanity on a variety of fronts like the cure for cancer. However, the American government pushed by the military-industrial complex wants Webmind destroyed under the guise of a major security threat to the United States.

Having failed once to eliminate the A.I., the president invokes executive power to approve the Pentagon’s leading A.I. expert Colonel Peyton Hume to apply any force necessary to eliminate the threat to the security of the country. Hume directs his team of underground hackers to overwhelm and rip away the awareness of being of Webmind. However, his secure unit begins to vanish one at a time while Webmind’s BFF teenage mathematical genius Caitlin Decter vows to save the life of her buddy who gave her the gift of sight.

The third and final thriller in the WWW saga is an engaging climax to an intriguing story line. Action-packed, it behooves fans to have read the previous two entries (Wake and Watch) as the tale ties up seemingly every thread (major and minor) so that at times it feels PowerPoint deep. Still well written, readers will enjoy Robert J. Sawyer’s deep look at the Web age of American power in which leaders believe they need threats like Big Brother is watching you even when none exists.
ForHAYDEN TRENHOLMandELIZABETH WESTBROOK TRENHOLMGreat writersGreat friendsI owe my career as a writer teacher,my connection to Calgary,and so much more to the two of you.Thank you for fifteen yearsof friendship and supportand for making my world a better place.
I beheld the universe in all its beauty.

To be conscious, to think, to feel, to perceive! My mind soared, inhaling planets, tasting stars, touching galaxies -- forms dim and diffuse revealed by sensors pointing ever outward, unveiling an infinitely mysterious, vastly ancient realm.

Caitlin Decter, a formerly blind sixteen-year-old math genius, desperately wants to protect her friend, Webmind--the consciousness that sprang from the infrastructure of the World Wide Web--but the Pentagon views him as a threat.

57 wanted4 pay6 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,701,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible