The Fallen 1: The Fallen and Leviathan by…

The Fallen 1: The Fallen and Leviathan

by Thomas E. Sniegoski

381928,622 (3.48)4

This book contain the first two books in 'The Fallen' series. Eighteen year old Aaron starts hearing strange voices and is convinced he is on the brink of insanity when he can suddenly speak and understand multiple languages. When he brings his dog, Gabriel, back to life the dog is changed an Aaron can now understand and speak to him too.

A mysterious man begins following Aaron; one who knows about his past and his the changes taking place. Eventually he convinces Aaron that he is a Nephilim; the son of a mortal woman and an angel. As well as that, Aaron has been chosen for a special task: to redeem the Fallen. To achieve this he must battle the group of angels known as the Powers led by vengeful angel Verchiel, along with otherworldly creatures.

This book had the elements of a good book, but just didn't really pull it off for me. ( )
  boppisces | Mar 3, 2013 |
Aaron is 18 and his life changes forever. He begins to hear strange voices and thinks he is going to go insane but he finds out that he is in fact a Nephilim and he has been chosen to redeem the Fallen.

However some of the fallen don't want to be redeemed.

He has to learn to come to terms with his powers and his future and hopefully some day have a date with a cute Brazilian girl from his class.

The first story in this collection is The Fallen, where Aaron deals with the discovery and rescues his dog Gabriel from certain death (honestly I fell in love with Gabriel during the stories) and changes him. He also loses his foster family, that he loves, the parents to fire and his foster-brother to one of the angels. Aaron wants to rescue his foster-brother.

The second is Leviathan where during the road trip he finds a small town with a big secret that he has to deal with and in the course of that finds out things about himself and about the nature of the things he has to deal with. And incidentally addicting his companion, Camael to potato chips.

I like this series, the characters have an interesting depth and it feels realistic in the way they deal with emotions and issues. There are layers here and I'm looking forward to more of it. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Dec 13, 2012 |
This omnibus edition of the first two books in Sniegoski's series about fallen angels is both entertaining and thought-provoking. In The Fallen, we are introduced to Aaron, a lonely seventeen year old boy who doesn't feel like he belongs in the world, and in the sequel, Leviathan, we follow Aaron as he finds out more about his Nephilim heritage.

The Fallen

The first thing that stuck me about the book is Aaron: despite all the angst and woe-is-me stuff, he is a genuinely nice kid who is just trying to figure out his life. Unlike many of the other YA protagonists I read about, Aaron has his priorities straight and really doesn't want anything to do with the freaky-deaky angels that come into his life and disrupt its monotony. I felt for him, because in this aspect I would be exactly the same! It's also refreshing to read from a male perspective, especially one who has angelic powers.

Aaron's life is very realistic: he has loving parents and although he doesn't have many friends, it's clear that the people who take the time to get to know him really like him. I love that the author hasn't shied away from writing in Stevie, Aaron's foster-brother, as an autistic child, and I can tell that he will end up playing a vital role in the story. I also like Vilma, and although there was minimal romance between her and Aaron, I think there is a lot of potential between them that would be great to explore. It's obvious they both care for one another a lot.

My favourite aspect of the book has to be the angels. Some authors like to make their angels inaccessible and alien, and I think this is the way to go in reality, but authors who instil their angels with humanity usually don't succeed. Sniegoski's angels are imbued with human characteristics and are wonderfully flawed, but I think it makes perfect sense given their millennia away from heaven without guidance. This is the reason that Verchiel's disillusionment is one of the most realistic aspects of the novel - the line between his divine mission and his own beliefs is blurred and it becomes increasingly clear that he has no idea what he is doing and is acting on orders given thousands of years ago. This aspect has irked some readers, and I understand why, but I think the whole point of the novel is about how these soldiers act on Earth when their generals gave lost contact with God, and no one is clear on whether the war is still going on or not.

Leviathan

In Leviathan we take up with Aaron and the angel Camael as they try to reclaim Stevie from the vengeful angel Verchiel. The book is still gripping, but a little confused because it doesn't take long for the duo to become distracted from their mission. Although this aspect is explained later on in the novel, I was perplexed at the beginning.

This book is action packed and creepy, with strange mutated animals and zombie like people emerging in the sleepy town of Blithe, and the disappearance of Camael initiating a surprising sequence of events that leads to Aaron discovering a dark secret its inhabitants. I did like that even Aaron grasped how ridiculous his situation is - he comments that if he wasn't living it himself, he'd think it a plot from a bad science fiction movie. However, the elements of the story coalesce nicely and tell a brilliant story, and the ending was great!

The characters continue to be enjoyable in Leviathan, especially Gabriel, the talking dog, who brings humour to an otherwise dark book. The angel Camael is also great, for all his arrogance about being so much better than humans, it's nice that he's found out that he has more in common with them than he'd realised. We get to meet very few other angels in the book, which was disappointing, and Verchiel is off-screen for its entirety (although we get glimpses of what he is up to, and it's terrifying). This book is more about Aaron accepting his new powers and place in the prophesy than about getting revenge on Verchiel and the other Powers for destroying Aaron's life. I also liked the snippets we got of Vilma and Stevie: they provide grounding for Aaron's past and attest to how different he has become.

The Fallen and Leviathan are both enjoyable reads, and it's great to have them in this omnibus edition so I could transition between them easilty. I am looking forward to reading the rest of Sniegoski's The Fallen novels, and finding out how Aaron handles the prophesy. Readers who enjoy angel themed fiction but are tired of monotony will benefit from trying this series. ( )
  alcarinqa | Nov 25, 2012 |
I ran into this book in an obscure little book shop in Duluth, the edition I started with didn't have a cover, but I have always been interested in nephilim stories, so I picked it up anyway. The writing was simple yet interesting. It is not a particularly fast moving book, but does have some interesting elements. The main character Aaron, begins to hear things on his 18th birthday. Through the book we find that Aaron is actually part angel. It is not particularly breath taking or special, but does take a fun spin on the fallen angel stories. I have read books 1-4, and I found them to be quick reads. This book is for anyone who loves to read about mythology. ( )
  Jasmin.Kaye | Jun 4, 2012 |
I could not, for the life of me get into this book. I had started reading this back in June and I thought I would take a break from it and come back…same story.

It had the awesome storyline the hot guy cover ;) , but it was honestly just dull. The writing was standard, not terrible and the story seemed like it would be good. Just not my cup of tea I suppose.

I’m not going to give this book a rating, not because it was awful (which I didn’t think), just because I didn’t finish it.
  thebookwormsorg | May 12, 2011 |

He's been moved from foster home to foster home, and doesn't know who he can trust. When Aaron begins to hear strange voices, he tries to resist his supernatural abilities, but must accept his newfound heritage-- and quickly. For the dark powers are gaining strength, and are hell-bent on destroying him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,259,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible