Holidays on Ice: Stories by David Sedaris

Holidays on Ice: Stories

by David Sedaris

Recently added byandieaaase, Goebte, daze.nina, private library, Homerpickles, Templeton_Library, beckyface

English (139)  German (2)  All languages (141)
I know I read this back in December '11 when I devoured the rest of his books, but I didn't review it for some reason. I think the first time I read this, I expected essays and was disappointed by stories. I still love his essays more, but this time I was really able to appreciate his ridiculous stories and imagine how he thought them up. It's funny - I think his over-the-top characterizations of people in general and "good Christians" in particular are more honest than much of the fiction I've read. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Didn't get through the last story; Based On A True Story, but the rest of them were pretty hilarious. The story about Dinah the Christmas whore was repeated in one of his other books (I forget which one), but it was just as humorous the second time around. ( )
  campingmomma | Aug 20, 2015 |
i've never read any of his fiction before - this is a mix of fiction and the usual essays/memoir pieces - and i found i prefer the nonfiction. although i do appreciate what he's poking fun of in the fiction, it's just a little too over the top dark for me. but barely. i found i enjoyed this collection more than others i've read by him; maybe it's the cohesiveness of it all. it's an easy fun read, even as i didn't love each of the selections. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Jun 25, 2015 |
I must be jonesin' to laugh...requisite New Years therapy.

In this collection of fiction and non-fiction shorts, Sedaris has the gifted way of handing you a ball of memories while managing no extra commentary but to plainly say, "This is what happened." Still you can't help but lose your eyebrows in your hairline and laugh hysterically in shock, in kinship, in absurdity....in complete understanding.

Any stories that include his family are instant reminders of the reader's own family in all the subtle (or not so subtle) quirks and dysfunction afforded by sharing DNA or last names. David's sister, Amy, is my favorite sibling. Two words: sign language.

The fiction shorts in contrast were unapologetic, quirky, darker, sometimes disgusting, and no holding back. In other words, I'll stick to his non-fiction. I *much* prefer his memoirs / essays over his fiction writing. ( )
  fueledbycoffee | Jun 21, 2015 |
Totally weird book. The only funny story was the first one. The others were pretty dark. ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
I love David Sedaris as he is one of my favorite authors but this is not one of his best books. You should still read
"Holidays on Ice" because it is funny and will make you smile. Holidays are crazy for everyone, no matter what holidays you celebrate and Sedaris reminds us to laugh at them, especially ourselves.
added by LizPhoto | editLizPhoto (Dec 22, 2013)

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Magnuson, AnnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowohlt, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sedaris, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ira Glass
I was in a coffee shop looking through the want ads when I read, "Macy's Herald Square, the largest store in the world, has big opportunities for outgoing, fun-loving people of all shapes and sizes who want more than just a holiday job! Working as an elf in Macy's SantaLand means being at the center of the excitement...."
"Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316779237, Paperback)

Holidays on Ice is a collection of three previously published stories matched with three newer ones, all, of course, on a Christmas theme. David Sedaris's darkly playful humor is another common thread through the book, worming its way through "Seasons Greetings to Our Friends and Family!!!" a chipper suburban Christmas letter that spirals dizzily out of control, and "Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol," a vicious theatrical review of children's Christmas pageants. As always, Sedaris's best work is his sharply observed nonfiction, notably in "Dinah, the Christmas Whore," the tale of a memorable Christmas during which the young Sedaris learns to see his family in a new light. Worth the price of the book alone is the hilarious "SantaLand Diaries," Sedaris's chronicle of his time working as an elf at Macy's, covering everything from the preliminary group lectures ("You are not a dancer. If you were a real dancer you wouldn't be here. You're an elf and you're going to wear panties like an elf.") to the perils of inter-elf flirtation. Along the way, he paints a funny and sad portrait of the way the countless parents who pass through SantaLand are too busy creating an Experience to really pay attention to their children. In a sly way, it carries a holiday message all its own. Read it aloud to the adults after the kids have gone to bed. --Ali Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:38 -0400)

The author has always had a special affinity for Christmas. His celebrated National Public Radio debut, The Santa Land Diaries, which first appeared in print in Barrel Fever was hailed the Seattle Times. The New York Times also wrote of this book. Now The Santa Land Diaries & five other hilarious Christmas stories are available in a wonderfully subversive holiday gift package. For anyone who has had enough of the forced good cheer, family madness, & commercial overkill of Christmas, Holidays on Ice will be the perfect antidote.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,953,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible