Holidays on Ice

Holidays on Ice (edition 2004)

Member:ihabiadai
Title:Holidays on Ice
Authors:
Info:Time Warner AudioBooks (2004), Audio CD

Holidays on Ice: Stories by David Sedaris

English (167)  German (2)  All languages (169)
This is the second [a: David Sedaris|2849|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1213737698p2/2849.jpg] book I've read today as I slowly work my way through his bibliography. I've always enjoyed some of his writing a great deal, but never really sat down to read it all. It's about time I changed that. Rereading [b: Holidays on Ice|4136|Holidays on Ice|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328330843s/4136.jpg|674383] was something I greatly looked forward to. I had a lot of fond memories of this book, not only for "Santaland Diaries" but also for "Six to Eight Black Men." Delightfully, there were even more goofy stories between the covers that got me laughing, and enjoying the writing all the more.

Unlike [b: Barrel Fever|4143|Barrel Fever Stories and Essays|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1453273003s/4143.jpg|731] this was a much more solid collection. While a few of the stories were a bit "edgier" than others in terms of content, but this was altogether a less cynical volume than the first. The satire was more blatant and confident, and likewise, a heck of a lot funnier. I particularly enjoyed "Us and Them," "Jesus Shaves," and "Christmas Means Sharing." Indeed, "Dinah, The Christmas Whore" was surprisingly sweet, and "Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol" had me laughing aloud.

All in all, this was an even better book than I remembered. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
First, humor is something that is hit or miss. People either love your jokes and laugh to the point of tears, or they hate your guts.

This, to me, wasn't funny.

I have read so many great things about David Sedaris and when the first story in Holidays on Ice, "Santaland Diaries," was assigned in my Advanced Creative Writing course, I figured it was time for me to finally read his work.

Honestly, the only reason I even finished reading this book was because it was short.

I might be in the minority here, but I didn't find it funny and I'm not sure if I'm going to venture into any other Sedaris books any time soon. I almost didn't want to even write this review because in doing so would bring back to my mind all the reasons why I didn't like it. I decided to write this though, because I promised myself I would review all the books I read and I'm not about to stop now.

So, back to humor.

Some people love watching cats chase their tails and some pople like dead baby jokes. I am a cat-chasing-tail kind gal. I'm not saying the jokes were bad, but they definitely were not my cup of tea. Making fun of people who come see Santa, for example, is what you do on service industry night at your local bar with co-workers. The whole first story was basically a drunken complaint from a service industry worker and I say this, because I have spent my fair share of time dealing with customers and venting to co-workers over a pitcher of beer. I just didn't want to read about it and I failed to find the humor.

There are other stories in Holidays on Ice that don't read this way, but there is this sort of shock humor that I don't find appealing. Read the book if you want to find out what I mean. I'm not going to give it all away here.

I'm a little sad I didn't like this book. Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002) and Me Talk Pretty One Day have been on my TBR for a while now and now I'm unsure if I want to read them. I've read countless reviews on Sedaris and all of them rave about how hilarious this was or how they couldn't stop laughing out loud and here I was pushing myself to finish a book I was desperately hoping would get funny.

The humor just wasn't for me. Sedaris has a dark, sarcastic and sometimes cynical sense of humor and the few moments that were a little funny were overshadowed by the moments that weren't. ( )
  CJ82487 | Mar 20, 2018 |
I listen to this audiobook at least once every holiday season. While I adore several of the stories, a few others have become skipable in my listening. I just really prefer Sedaris's essays to his fiction. But worth it for "Six to Eight Black Men" as well as his classic essay about working as an elf at Macy's. ( )
  annhepburn | Mar 4, 2018 |
A holiday tradition..... ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
Sometimes funny, sometimes painful, this satirical collection of short stories and essays about the darkly humorous side of Christmas and other holidays was hit or miss for me.

My favorites included "Seasons Greetings to Our Friends and Family!!!" which Amazon calls 'a chipper suburban Christmas letter that spirals dizzily out of control', and “Six to Eight Black Men' comparing Dutch and American Christmas customs.

Although reviews comment favorably on Sedaris's 'perfect deadpan delivery', I found in listening to the audiobook, his tone to be more depressed than deadpan, and listening to several hours was a mood killer for me.

This is the second Sedaris I have read, and I did enjoy this more than the first. I have another audio of [Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim], on MT TBR, so he'll get one more chance.
I know he's a favorite of many people, but I'm just not feeling the joy. ( )
  streamsong | Jan 14, 2018 |
I love David Sedaris as he is one of my favorite authors but this is not one of his best books. You should still read
"Holidays on Ice" because it is funny and will make you smile. Holidays are crazy for everyone, no matter what holidays you celebrate and Sedaris reminds us to laugh at them, especially ourselves.
added by LizPhoto | editLizPhoto (Dec 22, 2013)

Sedaris, Davidprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Colombo, Matteosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magnuson, AnnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pardoen, Irvingsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowohlt, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sedaris, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ira Glass
I was in a coffee shop looking through the want ads when I read, "Macy's Herald Square, the largest store in the world, has big opportunities for outgoing, fun-loving people of all shapes and sizes who want more than just a holiday job! Working as an elf in Macy's SantaLand means being at the center of the excitement...."
"Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316779237, Paperback)

Holidays on Ice is a collection of three previously published stories matched with three newer ones, all, of course, on a Christmas theme. David Sedaris's darkly playful humor is another common thread through the book, worming its way through "Seasons Greetings to Our Friends and Family!!!" a chipper suburban Christmas letter that spirals dizzily out of control, and "Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol," a vicious theatrical review of children's Christmas pageants. As always, Sedaris's best work is his sharply observed nonfiction, notably in "Dinah, the Christmas Whore," the tale of a memorable Christmas during which the young Sedaris learns to see his family in a new light. Worth the price of the book alone is the hilarious "SantaLand Diaries," Sedaris's chronicle of his time working as an elf at Macy's, covering everything from the preliminary group lectures ("You are not a dancer. If you were a real dancer you wouldn't be here. You're an elf and you're going to wear panties like an elf.") to the perils of inter-elf flirtation. Along the way, he paints a funny and sad portrait of the way the countless parents who pass through SantaLand are too busy creating an Experience to really pay attention to their children. In a sly way, it carries a holiday message all its own. Read it aloud to the adults after the kids have gone to bed. --Ali Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:38 -0400)

The author has always had a special affinity for Christmas. His celebrated National Public Radio debut, The Santa Land Diaries, which first appeared in print in Barrel Fever was hailed the Seattle Times. The New York Times also wrote of this book. Now The Santa Land Diaries & five other hilarious Christmas stories are available in a wonderfully subversive holiday gift package. For anyone who has had enough of the forced good cheer, family madness, & commercial overkill of Christmas, Holidays on Ice will be the perfect antidote.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,849,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible