Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

Holidays on Ice (edition 2008)

by David Sedaris, Ann Magnuson (Reader), Amy Sedaris (Reader)

Member:ablachly
Title:Holidays on Ice
Authors:David Sedaris
Other authors:Ann Magnuson (Reader), Amy Sedaris (Reader)
Info:Hachette Audio (2008), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Tags:christmas, audiobook, memoir, humor

Holidays on Ice: Stories by David Sedaris

English (148)  German (2)  All languages (150)
I love David Sedaris' stories. I love them even more when I get to hear him tell them. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
Several short stories. My favorite is the SantaLand Diaries,hysterical and brutally honest! Some of the others are downright nasty,creepy anytime of year.Glad I only paid 50 cents for this one. It was worth it tho for Santaland!!!! ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Skip this one and download the free NPR audio file of Santaland Diaries, or for that matter just read the 2012 Broadcast and Script that's posted, again free, on the NPR site. The commercially published version is longer but the extra filler adds nothing to the now classic story. Of the twelve other essays in Holidays on Ice, all but three have been previously published in his other books and none were standouts the first time around. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |
I listened to the audio recording of David Sedaris reading this book. The story about his time at Macy's working as an elf is definitely worth the read and had me laughing quite a bit. While the other stories are entertaining, the Macy's piece was the most memorable for me. Slightly snarky and always tongue in cheek, this is a very amusing holiday collection. ( )
  Neftzger | Jun 7, 2016 |
Collected here are the more or less (Christmas-)holiday-themed short stories Sedaris writes. They vary widely in style – from outright fiction to (apparently?) autobiographical stories to animal fables and his strength mostly lies in the autobiographical (which he is also most famous for). Sedaris has a sharp eye and he manages to make his observations funny, but when he makes things up, they tend to get out of hand. Generally it’s an entertaining collection, though not always unproblematic.

Read about each of the stories individually on my blog: https://kalafudra.com/2016/04/18/holidays-on-ice-david-sedaris/ ( )
  kalafudra | May 10, 2016 |
I love David Sedaris as he is one of my favorite authors but this is not one of his best books. You should still read
"Holidays on Ice" because it is funny and will make you smile. Holidays are crazy for everyone, no matter what holidays you celebrate and Sedaris reminds us to laugh at them, especially ourselves.
added by LizPhoto | editLizPhoto (Dec 22, 2013)

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Magnuson, AnnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rowohlt, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sedaris, AmyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ira Glass
I was in a coffee shop looking through the want ads when I read, "Macy's Herald Square, the largest store in the world, has big opportunities for outgoing, fun-loving people of all shapes and sizes who want more than just a holiday job! Working as an elf in Macy's SantaLand means being at the center of the excitement...."
"Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316779237, Paperback)

Holidays on Ice is a collection of three previously published stories matched with three newer ones, all, of course, on a Christmas theme. David Sedaris's darkly playful humor is another common thread through the book, worming its way through "Seasons Greetings to Our Friends and Family!!!" a chipper suburban Christmas letter that spirals dizzily out of control, and "Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol," a vicious theatrical review of children's Christmas pageants. As always, Sedaris's best work is his sharply observed nonfiction, notably in "Dinah, the Christmas Whore," the tale of a memorable Christmas during which the young Sedaris learns to see his family in a new light. Worth the price of the book alone is the hilarious "SantaLand Diaries," Sedaris's chronicle of his time working as an elf at Macy's, covering everything from the preliminary group lectures ("You are not a dancer. If you were a real dancer you wouldn't be here. You're an elf and you're going to wear panties like an elf.") to the perils of inter-elf flirtation. Along the way, he paints a funny and sad portrait of the way the countless parents who pass through SantaLand are too busy creating an Experience to really pay attention to their children. In a sly way, it carries a holiday message all its own. Read it aloud to the adults after the kids have gone to bed. --Ali Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:38 -0400)

The author has always had a special affinity for Christmas. His celebrated National Public Radio debut, The Santa Land Diaries, which first appeared in print in Barrel Fever was hailed the Seattle Times. The New York Times also wrote of this book. Now The Santa Land Diaries & five other hilarious Christmas stories are available in a wonderfully subversive holiday gift package. For anyone who has had enough of the forced good cheer, family madness, & commercial overkill of Christmas, Holidays on Ice will be the perfect antidote.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible