Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

Holidays on Ice (edition 2008)

by David Sedaris, Ann Magnuson (Reader), Amy Sedaris (Reader)

Member:ablachly
Title:Holidays on Ice
Authors:David Sedaris
Other authors:Ann Magnuson (Reader), Amy Sedaris (Reader)
Info:Hachette Audio (2008), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Tags:christmas, audiobook, memoir, humor

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

Recently added byscott.r, Book_Minx, emepps, jcwchicago, AsYouKnow_Bob, Longcluse, sixslug, 4701FL, private library, monamie

English (131)  German (2)  All languages (133)
Twelve short stories led by SantaLand Diaries, my (and untold others') intro to a strange, silly, sarcastic humorist. Having heard Sedaris tell this story a few times, it was no surprise he provided me an internal voice for reading it. When I caught myself speeding through other stories, I reminded myself to hear David speaking and invariably my enjoyment improved.

Some of these are on par with SantaLand. Six to Eight Black Men earned above-average chuckles and The Cow and the Turkey was a pleasant departing surprise. A few seemed duds, but might be funnier if heard... or read under different circumstances.

Fast readers could finish this book in an hour or so. Pace yourself and think wryly to give it a better chance. ( )
  scott.r | Jan 25, 2015 |
I really enjoyed the first essay in this collection, which centered around working as a Christmas elf at Macy's, but things went a little downhill after that one. A lot of the stories didn't hold my interest, but there were a couple that made wading through them worth it. A quick read if you're in the mood for some holiday cynicism. ( )
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |
Fiction, short stories
  noellib | Dec 26, 2014 |
received this book as a Christmas gift last year. I loved his sister Amy's book and I was not disappointed with this book either. I absolutely love short stories. Some of these stories were definitely out there but funny and I laughed quite a few times.

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/82605.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Dec 5, 2014 |
'Jesus Shaves' caused me to cry & convulse at work. I could not help myself. It's a work of art. A work of linguistically-tainted joke art with cultural references. With a happy ending, even. It's genius. LOVE. Really. I can't think about it without cracking up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5apZmwR9UI ( )
  mvbdlr | Aug 2, 2014 |
I love David Sedaris as he is one of my favorite authors but this is not one of his best books. You should still read
"Holidays on Ice" because it is funny and will make you smile. Holidays are crazy for everyone, no matter what holidays you celebrate and Sedaris reminds us to laugh at them, especially ourselves.
added by LizPhoto | editLizPhoto (Dec 22, 2013)

To Ira Glass
I was in a coffee shop looking through the want ads when I read, "Macy's Herald Square, the largest store in the world, has big opportunities for outgoing, fun-loving people of all shapes and sizes who want more than just a holiday job! Working as an elf in Macy's SantaLand means being at the center of the excitement...."
"Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common."

$5.00
5/2011

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316779237, Paperback)

Holidays on Ice is a collection of three previously published stories matched with three newer ones, all, of course, on a Christmas theme. David Sedaris's darkly playful humor is another common thread through the book, worming its way through "Seasons Greetings to Our Friends and Family!!!" a chipper suburban Christmas letter that spirals dizzily out of control, and "Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol," a vicious theatrical review of children's Christmas pageants. As always, Sedaris's best work is his sharply observed nonfiction, notably in "Dinah, the Christmas Whore," the tale of a memorable Christmas during which the young Sedaris learns to see his family in a new light. Worth the price of the book alone is the hilarious "SantaLand Diaries," Sedaris's chronicle of his time working as an elf at Macy's, covering everything from the preliminary group lectures ("You are not a dancer. If you were a real dancer you wouldn't be here. You're an elf and you're going to wear panties like an elf.") to the perils of inter-elf flirtation. Along the way, he paints a funny and sad portrait of the way the countless parents who pass through SantaLand are too busy creating an Experience to really pay attention to their children. In a sly way, it carries a holiday message all its own. Read it aloud to the adults after the kids have gone to bed. --Ali Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:19 -0400)

The author has always had a special affinity for Christmas. His celebrated National Public Radio debut, The Santa Land Diaries, which first appeared in print in Barrel Fever was hailed the Seattle Times. The New York Times also wrote of this book. Now The Santa Land Diaries & five other hilarious Christmas stories are available in a wonderfully subversive holiday gift package. For anyone who has had enough of the forced good cheer, family madness, & commercial overkill of Christmas, Holidays on Ice will be the perfect antidote.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,079,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible