Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

Holidays on Ice (edition 2008)

by David Sedaris, Amy Sedaris (Reader), Ann Magnuson (Reader)

Member:ablachly
Title:Holidays on Ice
Authors:David Sedaris
Other authors:Amy Sedaris (Reader), Ann Magnuson (Reader)
Info:Hachette Audio (2008), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Tags:christmas, audiobook, memoir, humor

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

English (127)  German (2)  All languages (129)
'Jesus Shaves' caused me to cry & convulse at work. I could not help myself. It's a work of art. A work of linguistically-tainted joke art with cultural references. With a happy ending, even. It's genius. LOVE. Really. I can't think about it without cracking up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5apZmwR9UI ( )
  mvbdlr | Aug 2, 2014 |
Holidays on Ice. David Sedaris. 2008. Most of the selections in this book were taken from earlier works of Sedaris so if you’ve read those, you might not want to read this. I enjoyed them especially “SantaLand Diaries” and “Dinah, the Christmas Whore.” A good introduction to Sedaris for those who don’t know him. ( )
  judithrs | Jan 12, 2014 |
While I loved SantaLand and Dinah, the Christmas Whore, not all the rest of the stories were necesssarily for me. ( )
  g33kgrrl | Jan 2, 2014 |
I really thought I was going to love this book but I didn't at all. I had heard so much about David Sedaris and how funny he was. But I found myself not laughing at this book at all. There were a couple of stories that made me laugh but for the most part I didn't find anything great about this book. The unexpected thing was that I found parts of this book incredibly offensive. And I can usually handle offensive but for some reason not this. This was my first David Sedaris book and since it was such a bad read, I'm not sure if I'll read anymore of his books. ( )
  AKLibGirl | Dec 21, 2013 |
Sedaris obviously has quite a following, so I came to this collection with moderately high expectations. Unfortunately I found reading the book only marginally less painful than a root canal. A couple of these ("SantaLand Diaries" and "Dinah, the Christmas Whore") were moderately amusing, but most were solidly in the "painfully unfunny" camp. ( )
1 vote clong | Oct 31, 2013 |
I love David Sedaris as he is one of my favorite authors but this is not one of his best books. You should still read
"Holidays on Ice" because it is funny and will make you smile. Holidays are crazy for everyone, no matter what holidays you celebrate and Sedaris reminds us to laugh at them, especially ourselves.
added by LizPhoto | editLizPhoto (Dec 22, 2013)

To Ira Glass
I was in a coffee shop looking through the want ads when I read, "Macy's Herald Square, the largest store in the world, has big opportunities for outgoing, fun-loving people of all shapes and sizes who want more than just a holiday job! Working as an elf in Macy's SantaLand means being at the center of the excitement...."
"Every gathering has its moment. As an adult, I distract myself by trying to identify it, dreading the inevitable downswing that is sure to follow. The guests will repeat themselves one too many times, or you'll run out of dope or liquor and realize that it was all you ever had in common."

$5.00
5/2011

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316779237, Paperback)

Holidays on Ice is a collection of three previously published stories matched with three newer ones, all, of course, on a Christmas theme. David Sedaris's darkly playful humor is another common thread through the book, worming its way through "Seasons Greetings to Our Friends and Family!!!" a chipper suburban Christmas letter that spirals dizzily out of control, and "Front Row Center with Thaddeus Bristol," a vicious theatrical review of children's Christmas pageants. As always, Sedaris's best work is his sharply observed nonfiction, notably in "Dinah, the Christmas Whore," the tale of a memorable Christmas during which the young Sedaris learns to see his family in a new light. Worth the price of the book alone is the hilarious "SantaLand Diaries," Sedaris's chronicle of his time working as an elf at Macy's, covering everything from the preliminary group lectures ("You are not a dancer. If you were a real dancer you wouldn't be here. You're an elf and you're going to wear panties like an elf.") to the perils of inter-elf flirtation. Along the way, he paints a funny and sad portrait of the way the countless parents who pass through SantaLand are too busy creating an Experience to really pay attention to their children. In a sly way, it carries a holiday message all its own. Read it aloud to the adults after the kids have gone to bed. --Ali Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:19 -0400)

The author has always had a special affinity for Christmas. His celebrated National Public Radio debut, The Santa Land Diaries, which first appeared in print in Barrel Fever was hailed the Seattle Times. The New York Times also wrote of this book. Now The Santa Land Diaries & five other hilarious Christmas stories are available in a wonderfully subversive holiday gift package. For anyone who has had enough of the forced good cheer, family madness, & commercial overkill of Christmas, Holidays on Ice will be the perfect antidote.… (more)

Six editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,342,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible