Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by…

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim (2004)

by David Sedaris

English (175)  Italian (1)  All languages (176)
This is my second David Sedaris book, having listened to Holidays on Ice earlier this year. With the first book, I was a bit put off by some of his self-deprecating and often irreverent humor, but when he hit the mark with me, I was laughing out loud.

I'm so glad I gave him a second try. I really enjoyed this one. It's a great listen in the car and I was happy to see several of my favorites from the previous book included in this one – particularly Six to Eight Black Men which will become a Christmas listening tradition for me. ( )
  streamsong | Jun 30, 2018 |
As Karen so aptly said in her own review This is a David Sedaris book. If you enjoy his writing, then you'll enjoy this collection, if you tend not to enjoy his work... well, then this won't be the book for you. You know what you're getting into with [a: David Sedaris|2849|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1213737698p2/2849.jpg], and that can be both a blessing and a curse. His writing is consistently amusing, occasionally dark and cynical, but for the most part a caustic and bemused look at life itself. He doesn't hold his punches, not even when it comes to writing about his family.

Especially when it comes to writing about his family.

This book repeats several stories that were formally collected in [b: Holidays On Ice|4136|Holidays on Ice|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1328330843s/4136.jpg|674383], although I can't say I was unhappy to see them again. "Six to Eight Black Men" is a particularly hilarious story and breakdown of cultures different Christmas traditions. This collection wasn't quite as cynical as [b: Naked|4138|Naked|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1394178867s/4138.jpg|2086690], but it also wasn't as cohesive and pleasant a collection as [b: Me Talk Pretty One Day|4137|Me Talk Pretty One Day|David Sedaris|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1431013639s/4137.jpg|1030767]. It was a Sedaris book, amusing, but not all that hard-hitting. I don't really know what else there is to say about it... aside from perhaps the fact that Paul being more present in the collection was ultimately a rather good choice. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I did enjoy these stories about Sedaris's crazy but loveable family. However this was light reading for me that does not leave a lasting impression (it's not the book's fault, the book was an entertaining light summer read). As a summer read during a weekend road trip with my boyfriend's mother and aunt, this book did a good job at providing that entertainment for off-hours.

I did chuckle many times during my reading time of this book; other passages felt akwardly and painfully familiar (teenagers...). My favourite story is the closing story "Nuit of the Living Dead". Will I pick up more of Sedaris book in the future? I am not sure, but if I should feel the urge to read family stories that will have me in stitches, I will definetly consider it. ( )
  sonoKoala | May 8, 2018 |
His usual mix of zany, heartfelt, funny stories. I always enjoy reading Sedaris, makes me realize my family isn't the only whacked out one. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
A collection of essays by a well-known humorist, mostly about life with his parents and siblings. I hadn’t read any Sedaris before, but I picked this book up for 75 cents in the basement of an antique store, and I wanted something completely different after the fantasy novel I just read. I probably won’t read any more of Sedaris; he’s funny, but with an uncomfortable edge of cruelty. It’s probably what makes his humor work for so many, but it’s not to my taste. ( )
  foggidawn | Mar 11, 2018 |
Sedaris is a careful writer, with a no-muss, no-fuss style that rarely misfires.

In a couple of this book's entries, the author's attempts to write humorously about subjects that are far from humorous result in essays that can be described only as contrived and cringe-making. They feel like strained, self-conscious efforts to generate material, and they should have been excised from this volume. The rest of the book shows Mr. Sedaris in fine funny form... It is the more shaded family reminiscences..., however, that form the heart of this book and that attest to the author's evolution from comic writer to full-fledged memoirist.

David Sedarisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kidd, ChipCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peellaert, ÉlisabethTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Hugh
When my family first moved to North Carolina, we lived in a rented house three blocks from the school where I would begin the third grade.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316010790, Paperback)

It just isn’t fair: most of us would be lucky to be able to express ourselves in writing half as well as David Sedaris does in his new book, Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. But on top of his skills with the written word, the author also has substantial gifts as a performer, and he proves this on the audio version of the book. In his essay The Change in Me,Sedaris remembers that his mother was good at imitating people, and it’s clear that he takes after her. Whether he’s doing impressions of high-voiced brother Paul, or recalling times when he and his sisters tried to win good karma by speaking and acting like well-behaved, fairytale children, Sedaris’s nuanced performance hits the right note on both the opening, comedic stories, and the more poignant essays that tend to come later in the reading. In fact, for those who have already read some of the best stories in other publications including The New Yorker, the CD or cassette version of this collection is probably the best bet for furthering your appreciation of the material.

Sedaris’s career is closely linked with two things: audio (he was discovered by NPR’s Ira Glass), and the personal lives of himself and his family. In Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, he describes fights with his boyfriend, and his sister-in-law’s difficult pregnancy. When sister Lisa complains about the stories involving the family, he writes about that, too. Sedaris's latest provides more evidence that he is a great humorist, memoirist and raconteur, and readers are lucky to have the opportunity to know him so well. Perhaps they are luckier still not to know him personally. --Leah Weathersby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

In a collection of essays, the Rooster gets married at an uproarious wedding, an estrangement occurs over a rubber vs. plastic debate, and the author gets the upper hand during a slumber party game of strip poker.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,827,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible