The Dragon in the Sea by Frank Herbert

The Dragon in the Sea (original 1955; edition 2008)

by Frank Herbert (Author)

In the twenty-first century, the United States has all but used up its oil supply. A new source must be found. Our atomic subtugs begin stealing oil from underwater deposits in enemy territory. But none of the last twenty tugs sent to bring back the desperately needed mineral have returned. Ensign John Ramsey of the Bureau of Psychology is planted aboard the Fenian Ram S1881 as an electronics officer. His assignment: find the saboteur in the four-man crew and bring back the oil.… (more)
Member:ikeman100
Title:The Dragon in the Sea
Authors:Frank Herbert (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2008), Edition: 1st, 272 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Fiction

The Dragon in the Sea by Frank Herbert (1955)

Recently added byScotus5, rmartingue, TheCanuck, HanJie, mrsnout, ikeman100, Nigel.Minton, IanPercival, private library

English (14)  Italian (1)  All languages (15)
Not really SF. Deeps of the mind thriller. Not thrilling. As with any psychobabble book the answers are vague. Maybe the answers are in the authors head. Maybe I imagined not finishing this book. ( )
  ikeman100 | Jan 27, 2021 |
Also called "Under Pressure", Mr. Herbert's breakthrough novel is a very suspenseful experience. For the Sci-Fi of the time, it has a lot of character development. The plot has still got relevance today, and the story line not impossible. It was a good time, and far ahead of the "New Science Fiction" of the Sixties. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Sep 24, 2019 |
I have tried to read this book several times and I just cannot get through it. I know it was award-winning, but it just didn't appeal to me. ( )
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
  DBrigandi | Jul 3, 2017 |
Made it half way through this short novel before I gave up. I figured if not much had happened yet, then not much was going to happen. There was a cool line about submarines being like 2 guys in the dark with baseball bats but other than that, this book was putting me to sleep. The "new" cover makes this look like it's really sci-fi but reading it seemed more like a military novel (not really my kinda thing). All the characters kind of blended together so the "somebody's a spy" part of the plot was hard to follow. ( )
  ragwaine | Dec 31, 2015 |

Schoenherr, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sternbach, RickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sussman, ArtCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the "special" men of the United States Submarine Service - chosen as crewmen on the first atomic submarines - this story is respectfully dedicated.
The blonde WAVE secretary at the reception desk took the speaker cup of a sono-typer away from her mouth, bent over an intercom box.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,721,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible