What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz

What the Night Knows

by Dean Koontz

English (57)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (59)
I was worried this was going to be another best damn dog of the year saves the day book. But it's not. It's a best *dead* damn dog saves the day book. It seems ever since poor Koontz Golden Retriever passed all he can write are angel doggies (with secret portal transport skills!) saving their owners from a fate worse than death. I can sympathize having two dogs myself. But still. REALLY. If a serial killer were to break into my house in the dead of night, Charlie (my rhodesian ridgeback who I call Rabbit the Lion Hunter) would give his loyal almighty god like "WOOF!" three times, tuck his tail and run for the hills... until he got stuck to a cactus. Hagsy the lab would probably just run happy circles around the house inciting some kind of magic spell hoping to induce giant squash (her fav vegetable) that would rise up and squish malevolent intruders and probably me, then she'd follow Charlie. Cute, but no angels.

I will say, the book is closer to the roots of horror & suspense of his older works, which is why i fell inlove with Koontz in the first place. But it's at times preachy and I feel he can cut back on his moral of the story narration thing. I am/was curious why he did so much of the narration in this particular book and would love to hear others opinions. Perhaps he was aiming for small bits of old fashion narration similar to what Dickens or Defoe did in their works (especially considering how often he brought up Lousia May Alcott's Little Women)? If so, very cool idea. However, the mix of the modern jive with old time narration just didn't work for me here (maybe if he cut back on the modern dudeness slang of it all). But I like the risk of it. It means although he's been at the #1 slot for years he's still stretching out of his comfort zone. In today's environment when it seems so many stick to the same formula over and over, I find this wonderfully refreshing, even when one falls flat on their face. ( )
  imaginationzombie | Sep 28, 2014 |
It's been a while since I've picked up a Dean Koontz's book that I enjoyed reading so much. I'm not refering to his most recent works in particularly - although some say they have been decreasing in quality -, nor am I saying that I didn't appreciate the ones I've read.

I didn't have that much expectations about this one, which was probably the reason why I liked it so much. It's one of his most suspenseful novels that I've read, and also one of the most entertaining ones. ( )
  Joel.G..Gomes | Apr 17, 2014 |
A story about a perfect American family haunted by a malevolence from hubby's past. Sometimes, I just wanted to say: "don't dooo iiittt" as the little girls giddily and naively invite the demon. The smash conclusion is predictable, except for a little twist. Where's my next Koontz book? ( )
  buffalogr | Mar 23, 2014 |
Very good. Hadn't read one of his books in awhile. I really enjoyed it.
  gail616 | Mar 11, 2014 |
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

In the late summer of a long-ago year, Alton Turner Blackwood brutally murdered four families. His savage spree ended only when he himself was killed by the last survivor of the last family, a fourteen-year-old boy.

Half a continent away and two decades later, someone is murdering families again, re-creating in detail Blackwood's crimes. Homicide detective John Calvino is certain that his own family--his wife and three children--will be targets, just as his parents and sisters were victims on that distant night when he was fourteen and killed their slayer.

As a detective, John is a man of reason who deals in cold facts. But an extraordinary experience convinces him that sometimes death is not a one-way journey, that sometimes the dead return.

Includes the bonus novella Darkness Under the Sun!

Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Death, the undiscovered country,
From whose bourn no traveler returns...
-Shakespeare, Hamlet
To Gerda, who has haunted my heart since the day we met.
What year these events transpired is of no consequence.

In the late summer of a long ago year, a killer arrived in a small city. His name was Alton Turner Blackwood, and in the space of a few months he brutally murdered four families. His savage spree ended only when he himself was killed by the last survivor of the last family, a fourteen-year-old boy.

Half a continent away and two decades later, someone is murdering families again, recreating
in detail Blackwood’s crimes. Homicide detective John Calvino is certain that his own family—his wife and three children—will be targets in the fourth crime, just as his parents and sisters were victims on that distant night when he was fourteen and killed their slayer.

Here is ghost story like no other you have read. In the Calvinos, Dean Koontz brings to life a family that might be your own, in a war for their survival against an adversary more malevolent than any he has yet created, with their own home the battleground. Of all his acclaimed novels, none exceeds What the Night Knows in power, in chilling suspense, and in sheer mesmerizing storytelling.

After Detective John Calvino receives a signed confesion to a shocking crime from 14-year-old Billy Lucas, he feels that somehow Billy has come home with him, to his family. Then another killing spree happens, just as and when John Calvino dreaded it would. Billy is safely locked away, but not the "ghost", if the ghost exists, that links these murders with past crimes, and with John Calvino. Anything could happen, and surely will-- again.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,034,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible