No title

Authors:
Info:
Collections:

What The Night Knows by Dean Koontz

English (56)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (58)
Dean Koontz revisits the hero with a tragic past theme that he does so well, in this supernatural thriller. The protagonist, John Calvino, is both a family man and police detective, whose path in life was shaped by the brutal murder of his entire family when he was a child. The sole survivor of that encounter, John killed Alton Turner Blackwood to prevent himself from becoming the final victim of that fateful night.

Now, twenty years after the lives of his family were snuffed out, John sees similar murders cropping up in the neighborhood, causing him to question himself, his beliefs and whether the dead always stay that way.

I'd recommend this to anyone who has enjoyed Koontz's fiction in the past as well as anyone who likes supernatural suspense or horror fiction. ( )
  Steve_Coate | Apr 2, 2016 |
Dick Hill, MacLeod Andrews, Will Damron, and others
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
So annoying. Most of the time I only read in bed. The problem is this book is scary so I can't sleep. Meaning i can only read this one during daytime. (I used to be able to read the scariest books and had no trouble sleeping. I am getting old)

Update. I stopped reading because of the above mentioned problem. Will pick it up when the time comes Vacation or something. Sepr 18 2012
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Alton Turner Blackwood murdered four families in horrific ways almost twenty years ago. Twenty years later a young man is incarcerated after murdering his own family in a similar manner. The pattern of the crimes is familiar to Detective John Calvino because on that long ago night his was the fourth family murdered and he was the one who killed Alton Turner Blackwood to put an end to the murder spree.

Through a journal shared throughout the book the reader is privy to the workings of a dysfunctional family and the making of a mass murderer. Through the memories of John Calvino the reader glimpses the rebuilding of a fragile life and the makings of a loving family. When these two things collide … the reader must let go of everything rational and wander through the improbable with our characters.

I have been a fan of Mr. Koontz for many, many years and with the exception of the Odd Thomas and Frankenstein series have found his last few books lacking. Not unenjoyable, but not really edge of your seat suspenseful either. What The Night Knows is seeing something blur out of the corner of your eye, having an inkling that something is around the corner, wondering if the wind contains more than just blowing leaves. I liked this one.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
I think I got an abridged version of this. Mine was on audio and just over an hour long. It felt like huge parts were missing and now I know why. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
Death, the undiscovered country,
From whose bourn no traveler returns...
-Shakespeare, Hamlet
To Gerda, who has haunted my heart since the day we met.
What year these events transpired is of no consequence.

In the late summer of a long ago year, a killer arrived in a small city. His name was Alton Turner Blackwood, and in the space of a few months he brutally murdered four families. His savage spree ended only when he himself was killed by the last survivor of the last family, a fourteen-year-old boy.

Half a continent away and two decades later, someone is murdering families again, recreating
in detail Blackwood’s crimes. Homicide detective John Calvino is certain that his own family—his wife and three children—will be targets in the fourth crime, just as his parents and sisters were victims on that distant night when he was fourteen and killed their slayer.

As a detective, John is a man of reason who deals in cold facts. But an extraordinary experience convinces him that sometimes death is not a one-way journey, that sometimes the dead return.

Here is ghost story like no other you have read. In the Calvinos, Dean Koontz brings to life a family that might be your own, in a war for their survival against an adversary more malevolent than any he has yet created, with their own home the battleground. Of all his acclaimed novels, none exceeds What the Night Knows in power, in chilling suspense, and in sheer mesmerizing storytelling.

After Detective John Calvino receives a signed confesion to a shocking crime from 14-year-old Billy Lucas, he feels that somehow Billy has come home with him, to his family. Then another killing spree happens, just as and when John Calvino dreaded it would. Billy is safely locked away, but not the "ghost", if the ghost exists, that links these murders with past crimes, and with John Calvino. Anything could happen, and surely will-- again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible