Y: The Last Man: The Deluxe Edition, Book 4…

Y: The Last Man: The Deluxe Edition, Book 4

by Brian K. Vaughan (Author), Pia Guerra (Illustrator), José Marzán Jr. (Illustrator), Goran Sudzuka (Illustrator)

We catch up on Ampersand's adventures, find out Agent 355's background, search for Yorick's missing fiancée (which doesn't go well), and continue our quest by going to Japan. I was a bit wary of this since I have read something else by the author that I didn't care for at all, but with recommendations coming at me from all directions, I thought I should at least give one a try and I wasn't disappointed at all. There is, of course, a multitude of things to be said about an all-women society depicted by a male author, but I'm going to leave that to those more interested in gender issues than me. The dystopian angle is what I really liked, particularly the issues of day-to-day living. There are a couple of things that irked me slightly, but it's absolutely a series that's worth reading. The "Deluxe" versions of these books include two of the collected volumes as well as the script for one of the issues. ( )
  -Eva- | Jul 22, 2014 |
The overall plot of Y: The Last Man advances very little in Book Four of the series. The first story, "Paper Dolls," sees Yorick and company finally make it to Australia, the object of their quest-- but as you might guess from the fact that it is only the beginning of Book Four, the object of their quest has changed. Yorick's girlfriend has left the country.

But that's okay, since I am enjoying the series on the whole. Most especially I must give a thumbs up for that old hobby-horse of mine, humor. There's no story of postapocalyptic catastrophe that can't be livened up with a few jokes, and Brian K. Vaughan understands that perfectly. "Paper Dolls" mostly concerns Yorick and 355's efforts to stop a reporter from making off with a photo of Yorick, revealing his existence to the world, and as you might imagine given that the Yorick is photographed in the nude (the first male genitalia in a series that has shown a fair amount of breasts by this point-- what a great moment to save it for!), there are more than enough laugh moments amidst the usual scenes of people untrained in combat somehow getting the drop on the United States's best secret agent. (I think TV Tropes calls this the Worf Effect.) It's good fun.

However, most of the stories in Book Four are side stories to the main plot. "The Hour of Our Death" fills in what Yorick's sister is up to in the States as she encounters Other Beth, "Buttons" gives us the secret history of Agent 355, "1,000 Typewriters" reveals the convoluted history of Ampersand, "The Tin Man" tells us the hidden past of Doctor Mann (seriously, why are none of these people ever just straight with one another?), and "Gehenna" even depicts the story of recurring villain Alter. It's a bit much, especially when I wish the backstory had come out more organically. None of the other characters really know the information we learn from these tales; it's only presented to the reader at useful junctures.

The other tale to actually advance the plot is "Kimono Dragons," which shows us the gang's adventures in Japan. There's a lot of finding-the-monkey nonsense as usual, and a lot of fighting and escaping. To be honest, the main plot, which features a deranged popstar, is not exactly riveting or now. Far more interesting is the side story about Doctor Mann (whoo!) going to see her mother, where we begin to discover there's an even bigger game being played than we'd expected.

The art is good as always, but "fill-in artist" Goran Sudžuka actually pencils nearly half the pages here, making you wonder by Pia Guerra gets her name so much bigger on the cover.

Y: The Last Man: « Previous in sequence | Next in sequence »
  Stevil2001 | Jun 8, 2011 |
Yorick's existence is discovered and publicized in Australia. Dr. Mann and Rose hook up; Yorick's sister Hero tracks down the other Beth to deliver a letter from Yorick, and discovers that she is 8 months pregnant. We see the origin of 355's service as an agent, and the kidnapped Ampersand escapes from his captor in Japan. The group are in Japan on the trail of Ampersand, who has been purchased by a Britney Spears wannabee. Yorick is reunited with Ampersand, and we see an origin story for Dr. Mann, whose father may have somehow been behind the gendercidal plague. Alter shows up in Kansas, still on the trail of the Last Man. ( )
  burnit99 | May 23, 2011 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Guerra, PiaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Marzán Jr., JoséIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sudzuka, GoranIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

As this deluxe edition begins, we catch up on the adventures of Yorick's monkey Ampersand (whose biology may hold the key to stopping the male-killing plague) and tells the origin of Yorick's mysterious protector, Agent 355 as Yorick searches for his fiancee in Australia, with deadly results. From Australia, Yorick and his companions continue on to Japan to learn the truth behind Ampersand's abduction.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible