HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Freedom: A Novel (Oprah's Book Club) by…
Loading...

Freedom: A Novel (Oprah's Book Club) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Jonathan Franzen

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
6,045294688 (3.79)249
Member:kathyb53
Title:Freedom: A Novel (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Jonathan Franzen
Info:Picador (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 608 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Adult Fiction

Work details

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen (2010)

  1. 41
    The War Room by Bryan Malessa (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Both are 500+ page modern epics whose stories originate in the Midwest but this one moves far beyond the territory and scope of Freedom. Represented and sold by same agent as Franzen's book and same UK publisher.
  2. 20
    In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust (allenmichie)
  3. 11
    Matrimony by Joshua Henkin (susiesharp)
    susiesharp: They are both about the lives of people you learn to care about yet don't always like
  4. 22
    The Privileges by Jonathan Dee (BillPilgrim)
    BillPilgrim: Another modern family story. Jonathan Franzen recommended The Privileges to the New Yorker book club.
  5. 01
    May We Be Forgiven by A. M. Homes (GCPLreader)
  6. 01
    The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer (hairball)
    hairball: Similar tone.
Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 249 mentions

English (248)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (11)  French (4)  Swedish (3)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  Danish (1)  Catalan (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (290)
Showing 1-5 of 248 (next | show all)
Have re-read this one a few times - very insightful and absorbing ( )
  SarahStenhouse | Oct 9, 2014 |
Sul fatto che sia scritto bene, non ci sono dubbi. Grazie a una lingua semplice e ritmata, la narrazione scivola senza difficoltà per il lettore offrendo passaggi di grande brillantezza – si pensi solo all’incidente di Lalitha – e riuscendo, con qualche colpo di reni, a scrollarsi di dosso anche i tempi morti. Che sono un po’ troppi a dir il vero – ad esempio quando ci si addentra nella situazione ornitologica del Nord America – ma in fondo non sono il vero problema. E non lo sono neppure le pagine di autobiografia che si immaginano scritte dalla protagonista senza che la sua voce si possa distinguere da quella del narratore (così il lettore a volte finisce per dimenticarsi chi è che sta raccontando). Il guaio vero sono i personaggi che – qual più, qual meno – sono di un’antipatia che nasce da una combinazione di ottusa autodistruttività e insistenza nel piangersi addosso. Tale insopportabilità raggiunge momenti di notevole acutezza nella più difficoltosa parte centrale del romanzo, dopo un inizio che, con l’insediarsi dei giovani Patty e Walter nel loro nuovo quartiere, è assai più promettente: con lo scorrere delle pagine, in parallelo all’invischiarsi dell’esistenza dei protagonisti, si ingarbuglia su se stesso anche il libro. Per fortuna, l’ultimo terzo del volume riesce a riprendere quota e si fa leggere con una compulsività che nei capitoli precedenti tende a latitare, tanto da far (quasi) perdonare un lieto fine dai tratti hollywoodiani che lascia perplessi su dove l’autore volesse andare a parare. La conclusione consolatoria stride con il ritratto della decadenza della famiglia media (medio-alta a dire il vero, qui quasi nessuno ha problemi economici) e progressista statunitense che pare essere lo scopo del libro – in materia, Woody Allen, tanto per dirne uno, è stato ben più graffiante – lasciando spazio nel lettore all’idea che la vera essenza sia il classico triangolo lui-lei-l’altro con ricomposizione finale e santificazione del tetto coniugale da cui non è estranea neppure la storia di coppia tra Joey e Connie. Insomma, a eoni di distanza dal Grande Romanzo Americano tirato in ballo a sproposito, quello di Franzen è un libro molto contemporaneo – i riferimenti all’attualità degli ultimi quindici anni si sprecano – e anche molto curato, ma che non centra il bersaglio: mi sa che sia necessario andare a ripescare ‘Le correzioni’ e, finalmente, leggerlo. ( )
  catcarlo | Oct 8, 2014 |
I saw the author in person and listen to him read an excerpt from the story. I was hooked since then but it took a few months for me to find the time to actually sit down and read it.
I was not disappointed, in fact I was thankful I read it. There are many themes to this story, and as one commentator mentioned: unless you are American there is subtext you will not get or relate to.
Although I am Canadian, I understand what Joey meant by opportunities changing since 911. Franzen's story is a good look at life, set expectations (both in terms of society and self) and figuring out the muddle of humanity among it all.

It has political undertones, which seem to be in itself a driving force but its also a good critic of what people expect here and whether its ethical. Best example is the relocation of the CAT. The cat is a cat, a symbol of the destruction its species causes and the naive mindset some have regarding real problems. Its a collective world trying to be defended from self interest and the bird sanctuary is a depiction (at leas to me) of another Tragedy of the Commons.

I really enjoyed the read and I do recommend it! ( )
  Englishurbanette | Sep 6, 2014 |
Jonathan Franzen's prose flows well and he has a gift for writing dialogue that feels natural. He explores his characters, plumbing the depths of their psyches, providing background and motivation for their actions.

Freedom tells the story of Patty and Walter Berglund, following their marriage and relationships with their children, and depicting its spectacular unraveling. A major obstacle to their happiness is the couple’s imbalanced relationship. Walter genuinely loves Patty, but she harbors feelings for Walter’s best friend Richard. (I guess a classic love triangle.) Freedom is also about the choices we make and how they affect our actions, while also acting as a commentary on modern life, dealing with issues such as mankind’s impact on the environment, and conservation. It’s a bit on the bleak side. I found myself wondering: is it really possible for human beings to be happy? And does Franzen actually like people?

The main characters in Freedom--Walter, Patty, Richard, and the Berglund children, Joey and Jessica--are all deeply flawed people (even the neighbors and incidental characters are mostly not so good), so much so, that at times, I found them hardly likable, including Walter, the passionate environmentalist. But Franzen gives them enough humanity so that as the reader, I didn’t want to write them off completely. I did find myself in the end rooting for Walter and Patty. The unlikablity of his characters may be due to Franzen’s willingness to take risks as a writer and show real honesty on the part of his characters, laying bare the not-so-nice qualities that most of us keep hidden deep down inside. His characters are exposed, warts and all. This insight into human behavior, and human nature, and his willingness to take risks is what elevates him as a writer, in my opinion.

At nearly 600 pages, this was a long read that, for the most part, kept moving except for a couple of areas where he goes a little too in-depth for my taste into the technical workings of Walter’s work with his environmental trust. I tip my hat to Franzen and recommend Freedom to anyone who likes character-driven literary fiction.
( )
1 vote mclesh | Sep 2, 2014 |
Everyone thought this book was so great. I don't quite get why. ( )
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
Showing 1-5 of 248 (next | show all)
One keeps waiting for something that will make these flat characters develop in some way, and finally the Nice Man is struck by a great blow of fate. But rather than write his way through it, Franzen suspends things just before the moment of impact, then resumes Walter’s story six years later—updating us with the glib aside that the event in question “had effectively ended his life.” A writer’s got to know his limitations, but this stratagem is clumsy enough to make one want to laugh for the first time in the book. It certainly beats the part where a wedding ring is retrieved from a bowl of feces.
added by danielx | editAtlantic, BR Myers (May 13, 2012)
 
Franzen is an amateur ethnographer impersonating a fiction writer. His novel is overstuffed with finger-puppet characters and the clutter of contemporary life: there's no reason to know that someone is wearing "Chinese-made sneakers" or that someone else watches Pirates of the Caribbean during a transatlantic flight. Freedom is crammed as well with rants passed off as dialogue and dialogue that either serves no narrative purpose or reeks of research done in the lifestyle pages of the New York Times.
added by lorax | editThe Nation, John Palatella (Nov 15, 2010)
 
The freedom of Freedom isn't freedom of choice, it's freedom from it; not an expansion but a narrowing. The book's movement is from the abyss of the abstract to the surety of the concrete, from the potential to the actual. You get there not by reinventing yourself in the American vein, by hatching a plan or heading west or donning a disguise. You do it by going home again, by seeing, as if for the first time, what you've already done, and claiming it as your own.
added by zhejw | editHarper's, Christine Smallwood (pay site) (Nov 1, 2010)
 
I didn't buy one of the characters, I didn't buy one of the plot twists, I found the stuff about a Halliburton-esque company rather convoluted and I was completely absorbed by the rest. Without question, Freedom is a book that grabs hold of you. When I was in the middle, I thought of its characters even while I wasn't reading about them, and when I was reading it, I read several lines aloud to my husband.
 
Franzen's daring has been to take on soap operas and HBO mini-series, demonstrating that if you want modern emotional dramas, the novel can provide them today as effectively as it did in the 19th century. But, he also offers something no HBO series can – the solitude and moral introspection of the novel, the beauty of prose, the imaginative love affair you form with characters you alone see in the way you see them. Freedom is the novel of the year, and the century.
added by Widsith | editThe Guardian, Jonathan Jones (Aug 23, 2010)
 

» Add other authors (16 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Franzen, Jonathanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Abarbanell, BettinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pareschi, SilviaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schönfeld, EikeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Go together, you precious winners all; your exultation partake to everyone. I, an old turtle, will wing me to some withered bough, and there, my mate, that's never to be found again, lament till I am lost.
The Winter's Tale ----
Dedication
To Susan Golomb & Jonathan Galassi
First words
The news about Walter Berglund wasn't picked up locally -- he and Patty had moved away to Washington two years earlier and meant nothing to St. Paul now -- but the urban gentry of Ramsey Hill were not so loyal to their city as not to read the New York Times.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Patty and Walter Berglund were the new pioneers of old St. Paul - the gentrifiers, the hands-on parents, the avant-garde of the Whole Foods generation. Patty was the ideal sort of neighbour who could tell you where to recycle your batteries and how to get the local cops to actually do their job. She was an enviably perfect mother and the wife of Walter's dreams. Together with Walter - environmental lawyer, commuter cyclist, family man - she was doing her small part to build a better world.

But now, in the new millennium, the Berglunds have become a mystery. Why has their teenage son moved in with the aggressively Republican family next door? Why has Walter taken a job working with Big Coal? What exactly is Richard Katz - outré rocker and Walter's old college friend and rival - still doing in the picture? Most of all, what has happened to poor Patty? Why has the bright star of Barrier Street become "a very different kind of neighbour," an implacable Fury coming unhinged before the street's attentive eyes?

In his first novel since The Corrections, Jonathan Franzen has given us an epic of contemporary love and marriage. Freedom comically and tragically captures the temptations and burdens of too much liberty: the thrills of teenage lust, the shaken compromises of middle age, the wages of suburban sprawl, the heavy weight of empire. In charting the mistakes and joys of Freedom's intensely realized characters, as they struggle to learn how to live in an ever more confusing world, Franzen has produced an indelible and deeply moving portrait of our time. [Amazon.co.uk]
Haiku summary
What does Freedom mean?
Free to use, free to preserve
Free to love, to live
(StevenTX)

No descriptions found.

(see all 2 descriptions)

The idyllic lives of civic-minded environmentalists Patty and Walter Berglund come into question when their son moves in with aggressive Republican neighbors, green lawyer Walter takes a job in the coal industry, and go-getter Patty becomes increasingly unstable and enraged.… (more)

(summary from another edition)

» see all 6 descriptions

Quick Links

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.79)
0.5 7
1 56
1.5 9
2 138
2.5 43
3 310
3.5 129
4 609
4.5 152
5 448

Audible.com

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible