Ill Fares the Land by Tony Judt

Ill Fares the Land (edition 2011)

by Tony Judt

Member:LynnB
Title:Ill Fares the Land
Authors:Tony Judt
Info:Penguin Books (2011), Edition: 1, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Non-fiction, Book Club, 2012

Ill Fares The Land: A Treatise On Our Present Discontents by Tony Judt

English (19)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  All (24)
A must read for anyone who cares about our world, our society and the future. ( )
  APopova | Jan 2, 2017 |
Sadly, the author passed away in Aug. 2010, but he left us a rich legacy of his magnificent writing. Include this work as part of those treasures. I strongly recommend this for anyone who wishes to engage in the 21st century dialogue about ideology, justice, and the market system. His distinctions between "social democracy" and " socialism" are a central theme of the work and should be part of the intellectual equipment for those involved in that ongoing dialogue.

VGAHarris | Jan 19, 2015 |
Only book by Tony Judt I have read, he says it is addressed to younger readers which seems about right. It is a passionate and moral denunciation of inequality and an interesting capsule summary of the history and manifestations of social democracy. I found it weaker on solutions, which is an unfair test for a book of this nature. Of greater concern was that the underlying premise appeared to be a certain disrespect for people's judgments about their own situations, a 1960s era critique of materialism that most progressives appear to have gone beyond in favor of ideas that center around the importance of income and wealth creation for families to participate effectively in the fruits of a modern economy. ( )
  nosajeel | Jun 21, 2014 |

Last night I told a lawyer that I was a professor in a department of Liberal Education. He took this to mean that I taught people to vote Democrat, although he wasn't so completely oblivious to assume that that meant I myself voted Democrat. He went on to describe his experience in a 'Peace and Justice' university course, which he'd thought would be about world war II, but ended up being, and I quote, "propaganda way to the left of Communism". Anyway, lucky for both of us that I hadn't read this book before we had that conversation, or I might have tried to throw him out of a window. I would have failed, and been punched in the face.

As for the actual book: three stars for the argument plus one for the style. It already feels like a period piece (it doesn't help that chapter six has as an epigraph a quotation from Dominique Strauss-Kahn. That's a bit uncomfortable); I can imagine that history professors in sixty years time - should any such beings still exist - would set this for their class 'Intellectual History of the Great Financial Crisis.' The prose is practically transparent, the argument is quite clear, and, although it's a little repetitive, there isn't too much padding. I could've done without the paean for trains, much as I appreciate them; and there's some slightly silly guff about how going to the Nationalized post office to wait in line with your fellow citizens makes everyone into one big happy family. But other than that, it's a great read.

The argument itself is a good one, hence my narrowly avoided defenestration of a 'conservative.'* Judt points out the great good that post-war social democracy did for most people in the developed world, and suggests that the parliamentary left actually defend that heritage, rather than cringing when it's brought up. He glosses over the failures of the post-war governments (i.e., stagflation), which is a shame- I would have liked to see a well put together argument showing that the economic turmoil of the seventies was due to contingencies rather than due to social democracy as such. I sometimes felt like I'd read it before, in part because I have. The first chapter is taken more or less from 'The Spirit Level,' which I skim-read. The second and third chapters are highly condensed versions of Judt's own magnificent 'Post War,' with additional material on America.

High points include the historicisation and of the Austrian godhead of contemporary economics (e.g., Mises' main aim was to avoid Nazism; he blamed Nazism on Communism; therefore we must avoid Communism: is that really a solid foundation for your thought?) and the general good advice that some things can only be done by government, and to assume that government can't do anything is no less ideological than the Stalinist assumption that government ought to do everything. Of course, Edmund Bourke thought that too.*

Finally, two great quotes:

The 'reduction of society to a thin membrane of interactions between private individuals is presented today as the ambition of libertarians and free marketeers. But we should never forget that it was first and above all the dream of Jacobins, Bolsheviks and Nazis: if there is nothing that binds us together as a community or society, then we are utterly dependent upon the state.'

'It is the Right that has inherited the ambitious modernist urge to destroy and innovate in the name of a universal project. From the war in Iraq through the unrequited desire to dismantle public education and health services, to the decades-long project of financial deregulation, the political Right has abandoned the association of political conservatism with social moderation which served it so well from Disraeli to Heath.'*

* Yes, I'm referencing this three times. By calling my lawyer friend a 'conservative' I of course mean liberal. American liberals insist on calling themselves conservative, even though they are knee-jerk, ideological free-marketeers who despite the very idea of community. And it's time to call people on that nonsense. ( )
1 vote stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
This analysis of political and economic developments during the past century argues that it is social democracy rather than classical socialism or the capitalism of Thatcher and Reagan with its strategies of privatization and deregulation that will produce the secure and genuinely democratic society that both Europeans and a small but growing number of US politicians seek to more fully realize in the former case and to sell politically in the latter case. Judt offers a helpful overview in this volume but little in the way of concrete political strategy. ( )
  Jotto | Sep 23, 2013 |
Auszug aus der dlf-Buchbesprechung von Christiane Florin:
"Diese knapp 200 Seiten sind eine Wucht, eine Weltverbesserungswucht. Geschrieben von einem, der wusste, dass er nicht mehr lange von dieser Welt sein würde. Der britische Historiker Tony Judt litt an einer unheilbaren Nervenerkrankung, seine Vorträge hielt er im Rollstuhl. Gut sichtbar arbeitete, während er sprach, ein Beatmungsgerät. Aus seiner letzten New Yorker Vorlesung zur Frage "Was ist heute Sozialdemokratie?" entstand dieses Buch. Aber was heißt schon Buch? "Dem Land geht es schlecht" ist weder Fach- noch Sachbuch, es ist ein Traktat, da übertreibt der Untertitel nicht. Hier appelliert ein Todgeweihter an die Lebenden, hier ruft er jungen Leuten mit Wut und Wehmut zu: Ihr müsst euer Denken ändern, ihr müsst euer Handeln ändern, ihr müsst euer Leben ändern. So geht es nicht weiter. Schon im ersten Satz donnert Judt:

"Irgendetwas ist grundfalsch an der Art und Weise, wie wir heutzutage leben. Seit dreißig Jahren verherrlichen wir eigennütziges Gewinnstreben. Wenn unsere Gesellschaft überhaupt ein Ziel hat, dann ist es diese Jagd nach dem Profit. Wir wissen, was die Dinge kosten, aber wir wissen nicht, was sie wert sind."
"

If “Ill Fares the Land” sometimes reads like a graduation speech, then it is the Platonic ideal of one — concise, hardheaded, severe in its moral arguments.

Judt’s passionate appeal for a return to social-democratic ideals is all the more stirring because, as he has chronicled in The New York Review of Books, he suffers from an incurable disease that has left him paralyzed and forced to dictate this book, which will be among his last. Rather than yield to the kind of despair that would dispose him to see his own irreversible decline mirrored in the wider world, Judt shows uncommon courage by not giving up hope for his society, even as he has been forced to give up hope for himself.

Tony Judtprimary authorall editionscalculated
Haggar, DarrenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rifkin, John Rsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ill fares the land, to hastening ills a prey,
Where wealth accumulates, and men decay.

Oliver Goldsmith, 'The deserted village' (1770)
For Daniel & Nicholas
Something is profoundly wrong with the way we live today.

In "Ill Fares The Land," Tony Judt, one of our leading historians and thinkers, reveals how we have arrived at our present dangerously confused moment and offers the language we need to address our common needs, rejecting the nihilistic individualism of the far right and the debunked socialism of the past. To find a way forward, Judt argues that we must look to our not so distant past and to social democracy in action: to re-enshrining fairness over mere efficiency.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,149,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible