Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger (rack)…

Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger (rack) (original 1995; edition 1998)

by Louis Sachar, Adam Mccauley (Illustrator)

Member:ashbrau
Title:Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger (rack)
Authors:Louis Sachar
Other authors:Adam Mccauley (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1998), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Children: 7-9, Your library
Tags:humor, coming of age, school, classic

Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger by Louis Sachar (1995)

Aww, yay! Since we already know the kids and the teacher, this book adds in new characters - and it's great fun. And just as ridiculous as the others. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
Weird, illogical, goofy and crazy, Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger is hilarious . It's just the kind of book which tickles my funny bone because it's just so, well, strange .

Your school consists of 30 stories, each story with only one classroom, and the elevator only goes up but never down. Wait, don't forget that there's no nineteenth floor but you could swear you can hear cows from there.. Your dentist is a hypnotist, and your substitute teacher has 3 nostrils. God, I just loved the craziness of it all.

Each chapter is a vignette, but some come together to form a story. It's okay if you didn't read the first 2 books, I think it just added to the hilarity. And you know what, amidst the goofiness of it all, there was something sweet and something profound inserted in between the pages, which is the kind of thing I admire in Louis Sachar's works.

Its humour isn't for everybody (one of my friends couldn't appreciate what made this book so funny to me), but I don't really care. I'm a weirdo and this book is for me. ( )
  qquiet | Apr 2, 2013 |
Not as strong as the others--he's really running on fumes here--but there were still some really great moments. Jokes that are set up early on and take 80 pages for the payoff--that's the kind of book this is. 4 stars because it made me laugh anyway, but it's not the best of the series. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
The wayside school stories are great transition books for children who struggle with reading. This series is a fun exciting read for children who do not like to read.
  KellyBonner | Dec 2, 2012 |
All these stories are very silly and easy for kids to read. I think readers can't wait to turn the pages to see what happens next, especially if they are familiar with the other Wayside Stories books. The author is very creative and wacky, using humor and silliness to draw the reader in and develop their imaginations. Some students might be able to relate to this book since it's in a school setting. It's a very fun book!
  kedwards1991 | Sep 20, 2012 |

Louis Sacharprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Schick, JoelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Carla and Sherre, with love
For two hundred and forty-three days, a lonely sign hung on the front of the old school building.

Hooray! Wayside School is Open Again!

All the kids from Wayside School had to spend 243 days in horrible schools while Wayside closed to get rid of the cows (Don't ask!). Now the kids are back and the fun begins again on every floor. Miss Much has prepared a Day on the 30th floor--with dogs and cats and frogs and skunks and pigs, and an orange named Fido causing a terrible commotion. In Mrs. Drazil's class, they're throwing a coffeepot, a sack of potatoes, a pencil sharpener, and a light bulb out the window to see which hits the ground first. But the big surprise is that Mrs. Jewls is expecting a baby--but one named Cootie Face or Bucket Head--and a substitute teacher is coming--and everyone knows what that means...

Something strange is going on at the already peculiar Way side School, when Mrs. Jewls leaves her students with a succession of substitute teachers. "Wayside School devotes [will] turn pages eagerly...these additional anecdote about wayside school will surely tickle the funny bones of fans"-School Library Journal

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:28:11 -0400)

Unusual things continue to happen in the classroom on the thirtieth floor of Wayside School, which was accidentally built sideways with one classroom on each story.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,509,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible