Renegade by Lora Leigh

by Lora Leigh

Member:AddictedToMorphemes
Title:Renegade
Authors:Lora Leigh
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2010), Edition: 1, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Read, Read in 2011

Renegade by Lora Leigh

Okay, this will be a long one because I can't leave a two star review without explaining. I don't often bother posting negative reviews and this isn't entirely negative. The reason I'm posting is I think that once one receives bestseller status, one has to really consider what one is writing. I know several unpublished authors who could write circles around what is written in this novel.

Now, I've read this author before and enjoyed the books. This is why I picked this one up. It sounded like I might like it. However, Renegade was just...not good. I'll explain.

Despite what the back cover blurb says, there were three protagonists in this story not two; Nik, Makayla and Mikayla's clit. Sorry for those who are offended easily, but them's the facts, folks. Clit doesn't bother me. I mean all women (I'm assuming) have one and it serves a great function. I'm quite happy that they exist. Wouldn't trade clits for anything. Fantastic things, those clits. But, when writing fiction, one must strive for variety in describing things. Repetition creates and echo and echo is bad. Especially when that echo is such a standout word like clit. I bet you see the word clit as often as you see the name Mikayla or Nik or the. Are you tired of me writing clit every sentence? Does it annoy you that I'm obsessed with how often clit is mentioned? Well, this is how each love scene reads. Except the ones where each character masturbates in the shower. Clit only shows in one of those scenes. I won't go there.

It's erotica and perhaps the masturbation scenes would float another reader's boat, but they left me scratching my head. They just seemed unnecessary in this case. Added nothing to the story.

A secondary character was her virginity/innocence which the author made sure to mention constantly. This could have been mentioned perhaps once or twice in the beginning. It's something the reader would have remembered. I mean how many women read the ripe old age of twenty-something with that still intact? Not many. So that's something a reader notices. Reminding the reader at every opportunity gets tiresome.

Where's the positive that I promised? Well, I like this author's 'voice' and that was the only thing that kept me reading in the end. She's got a very distinct voice and doesn't purple things up as is the temptation in some erotic romances. So I appreciate that and I know it's tough to create romance without the flowery words. It takes skill which the author obviously has but chose not to share with us in Renegade. I guess that's why I was so disappointed. It's obvious she's a skilled writer, but this novel didn't show any effort.

The ending made me long to punch something. Evil twin out of nowhere? WTF? Come on. Talk about a lazy ending. No real explanation, just a quick couple of pages about the grandfather and separating them at birth for some strange reason. No, the motivation for separating them is not revealed.

So there's my negative review that I don't like posting, but you know, sometimes it's just good to get it out. I would read this author again, only because her previous novels that I've read have me hopeful this was just a one-off. An attempt to put something out there that flopped. In my optimism, I'm ordering another book this week. If that goes poorly, then no, I would not buy another book by Lora Leigh. ( )
  ReneeMiller | Feb 25, 2016 |
Summary:
Mikayla Martin, is a bridal shop owner and works with her closest friend. When she is witness to a murder, her life just starts to spiral downward, with no end in sight. No one but her family believes what she saw, and Mikayla knows that it is up to her to make sure justice is served. Nikolai Steele, a agent for the Elite Ops has returned because he owes a favor, and his job is to get his friend proven innocent of being accused of murdering someone, and so he goes to the accuser planning on finding out what her motive is in lying, but the moment he sees her and hears her voice he knows that things will just start to get worse for him. Nikolai has a heart of steel and ice, until he starts to work with her, and each day he is full of emotions where he thought he had buried them deep, and Mikayla reaches places so deeply hidden in himself, that he can't stop himself from falling in love with her, despite his refusal to do so. But sometimes fate has a way of turning our world upside down with true love...

The Hero (Nikolai Steele)
Nikolai is known as a mercenary, but he has been a Elite Ops agent for many years, and he once lost a wife and daughter, and has never forgiven himself since and has buried his feelings since then. Now he is on a job, a job which he thinks will only last a few days, but the longer he is around Mikayla the longer he stays, and as a murder mystery starts to unravel, he starts to feel a powerful love for this small woman, who is innocent and carefree, and before he realizes it she starts to break down his every defense and wonders if he could ever find the will to leave her...

The Heroine (Mikayla Martin)
Mikayla, is the only daughter and is very close to her parents and her brothers, but they are so overprotective, despite her independence. Mikayla has never found true passion or someone she would want to share her life with, and then she falls for the worst bad boy, Nikolai Steele, who stirs up every hidden passion within her. Even though she wants him badly, she also knows that he could very well break her heart...

My Thoughts
Renegade is the fifth in the Elite Ops Series, and by far my favorite of the series yet. I just loved how it had the perfect mix of romance, danger and mystery. In some of the other books of the series, they were too much on the edge of erotica, and not of the romance-the relationship side of it. Renegade although it had some very steamy scenes, it also had the emotional side that I have seen in her breed series, and I am so glad that it finally shown through in this one. I loved both characters, and how much we could see their love grow throughout the story, it was purely magical and I just loved it!! I found Mikayla touchingly sweet and endearing, although an innocent, also has a passionate nature. Nikolai although has a tough exterior, has a softer side too that comes out once he meets Mikayla. I found Renegade intoxicating, and satisfying with every page!!! A TREASURE!! ( )
  addictofromance | Nov 23, 2014 |
It was ok. Far from being the best in the series, but it had its moments. I thought Nik was an incredible jerk who just wanted the pretty, virginal woman and said woman was a little too much on the näive side. With the story developing, their characters developed as well and it was a good think they did. By the end I actually started liking them more and really enjoyed the epilogue. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
I think that Nik Steele has become my favorite character of this series and it is so very hard to pick just one of these guys as a favorite. Nik is carrying around so much guilt that he really needs to find someone to heal his heart and soul. Nik is also one of the more dominant males in a series of very dominant males. I also have a things for blue eyes and with Nik's light blue eyes all I can say is "melt". Nik is also a lot more honorable and caring that wants anyone to know. It shows when a takes a job that proves to be more complicated than anyone ever thought.

Mikayla is fashonista in many ways. She loves clothes whether to wear them or to design them. She is a caring and intelligent woman that wants to live life. She wants to get out and experience all the things that life has to offer. I don't think that those experiences ever included witnessing a murder. All the nonsense that happens because of this event just proves that Ms. Leigh knows the cruelty of humans. We can be such a petty, spiteful group. Mikayla does do a very good job of ignoring those that would make her give up her home and leave.

I love the interaction between Mikayla and her father and brothers. Having an over protective brother and at one time a protective father I could relate to how Mikayla felt. It can be very difficult to fight for ones identity when others want to pack you away in a room and never let you leave. I had to laugh at Nik's reaction to the family. I think that he handled the whole thing with grace and style. He even seemed to understand. I also got a kick out of Ian's comment about watching Jordan Malone fall. I have a feeling that story is going to be a hard one to read.

We didn't get to see as much of the others in this story as we have in the past. There is Ian and Kira and Bailey though and that was very nice. It would have been nice to know how the others were doing. I would also liked to have read something in the epilogue about how Maddix Nelson was fairing after that terrible night in the last chapter of the book. I thought that this was a very good story and a wonderful addition to the series. ( )
  LadyIsis | Aug 9, 2013 |
2.5 stars ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |

After witnessing a murder, Mikayla Martin takes matters into her own hands when the police do not believe her story, but when her investigation leads her into danger, she needs the help of Elite Ops agent Nikolai Steele.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,334,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible