Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill

Apartment 16 (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Adam Nevill

1961460,038 (2.86)6
Member:becksdakex
Title:Apartment 16
Authors:Adam Nevill
Info:Pan Macmillan (2010), Paperback, 449 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Didn't finish

Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill (2010)

English (13)  French (1)  All languages (14)
Apryl, an American woman, has just inherited an apartment at Barrington House, Kensington, from her Great Aunt Lillian. After arriving in London to sell the apartment she realises she'd like to delve a bit into her aunt's past and the circumstances upon which she died. The more Apryl delves into her aunt's life she uncovers some mystery circumstances involving the residents and the apartment block. She finds out a somewhat unknown Swiss-Austrian painter from the '30s has something to do with it and she's intent on finding out what. Everybody around her is telling her to just sell and return home but Apryl refuses until she learns the truth.

I was expecting more from this book than it actually delivered. It started off somewhat okay and then nothing happened, literally nothing happened, until almost the ending when something did happen and then nothing again. I thought horror was supposed to elicit negative emotional feelings in you and to play on your fears. The only thing this book would elicit is sleep.

I found the characters to be one long snooze fest. Seth, oh god, he was just boring. I wanted to skip his chapters because I just felt like he just didn't bring anything to the table. Nothing. His chapters were long, repetitive and just dull. Apryl faired a bit better but she was by no means an interesting or exciting character. The chapters she was involved in had more suspense, more tension, more of the stuff that is the foundation of horror but she just needed that something extra. The pint sized hoodie, I can't remember his name for the life of me - was his name even known? - was creepy but I think that had more to do with the unknowing rather than anything else. I cared very little for the characters and by the end after feeling bored through most of the book was hoping they'd all suffer.

The only thing that made me finish this book was the hope that something great was going to happen. It takes about 400 pages to get there and you're left with about 20 pages of something fantastic. You read that right, the good stuff doesn't even take you to the end of the book.

The author tried to create atmosphere but was really unsuccessful. There was no heart pounding moments, no wondering what would happen next, very little suspense - if any. The description wasn't that good either, I just couldn't picture any of it, and the anyone structure at times left me rather confused.

The book, although over 400 pages long, seems half finished. There were lots of unanswered questions, like, how did the evil presence get there? Where was it during the 50 years it laid dormant? What happened to it afterwards? What happened to the characters?

I really wanted to like this book but I just couldn't get into it. There was nothing in this book that seems to draw you in and want to keep you there. ( )
  Chicalicious | Jun 3, 2015 |
The ending was not really up to much. It ended with a whimper rather than a bang. It left me feeling a bit hard done by. What was the point of the story exactly. Stories are meant to move from A to B. On occasion you even get a C or D thrown in. Think of what the book version of the movie INCEPTION, for instance might be like. Instead this moves awkwardly from A to C and back again.

It started so well, but the author, like some of his characters could not or would not roam to far away from home,even through there were numerous possibilities. It was unsatisfactory. ( )

Urthwild | Nov 29, 2014 |
I would like my pictures to look as if a human being had passed between them, like a snail, leaving a trail of the human presence and memory of the past events as the snail leaves its slime.

Francis Bacon, 1909-1992
For Ramsey Campbell,
Peter Crowther and John Jarrold
When he heard the noise, Seth stopped and stared, as if trying to see through the front door of apartment sixteen, the teak veneer aglow with a golden sheen. (Prologue)

Some doors are better left closed...In Barrington House, an upmarket block in London, there is an empty apartment. No one goes in, no one comes out. And it's been that way for fifty years. Until the night watchman hears a disturbance after midnight and investigates. What he experiences is enough to change his life forever. A young American woman, Apryl, arrives at Barrington House. She's been left an apartment by her mysterious Great Aunt Lillian who died in strange circumstances. Rumours claim Lillian was mad. But her diary suggests she was implicated in a horrific and inexplicable event decades ago. Determined to learn something of this eccentric woman, Apryl begins to unravel the hidden story of Barrington House. She discovers that a transforming, evil force still inhabits the building. And the doorway to Apartment 16 is a gateway to something altogether more terrifying...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:16 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,851,752 books! | Top bar: Always visible