Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill

Apartment 16 (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Adam Nevill

Member:becksdakex
Title:Apartment 16
Authors:Adam Nevill
Info:Pan Macmillan (2010), Paperback, 449 pages
Rating:**
Tags:Didn't finish

Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill (2010)

Recently added byprivate library, justablondemoment, Ghostly1, brainx

English (6)  French (1)  All languages (7)
Wow this was bad. Really bad. I was told it gets better, so I persevered, but it just got more and more unbelievable. Don't waste your time or money. ( )
  moosenoose | Mar 30, 2013 |
Didn't really like this book,I expected something different from it,it had a good potential story line and seemed to get lost in the horror aspect! ( )
  shirley8 | Apr 24, 2012 |
Apartment 16 is both horrific and a mysery - the horror residing in the writing and the mystery being why I ploughed on with a dull and ineptly rendered tale long after a sane person would have binned it in disgust.
Dull, dreary, boring and depressing, the story centres around mad Seth and mis-spelled Apryl: Apryl's unknown aunt Lillian died leaving her niece her upmarket Knightbridge flat. Initially thrilled and excited to be left property in the most expensive part of London, Apryl hot foots it over from the States [she's a Yank of course] , walks breathlessly through Sloan Sqaure and Eaton square and all those other incredibly upper crust areas, and arrives breathless with excitement at Barrington House.
But there's something rotten in the sate of Barrington - as failed artist and all-round misfit Seth, the nightporter, soon discovers. Apertment [an irksome Americanism] has been empty for 50 years, yet strange and sinister noises eminate from behind its sinister walls and an unsettling and unwholesome chill permeates its surroundings.
Apryl finds Aunt Lilly's flat is in a shocking state of disrepair - nothing has been cleaned or thrown away for fifty or so years, the place is dark, dank and unwelcoming, bare of pictures and mirrors and all but the bare essentials. While Apryl is tidying she finds her aunt's diaries which tell a frightening history: Apryl settles in, returns the portraits and mirrors [stored in the basement] to the flat, then spends her days cleasning and her nights reading. Bad dreams and imagined glimpses of unholy creatures in the looking glasses and the paintings chase her to an hotel wher she learns through the diaries Lilly and her old friends at Barrington House shared experiences with an unlikable and exccentric painter after the second world war.
The painter, a self-mutilated Nazi and Satanist had occult theories he incorporated into his work, causing the building to become possesed: although Lilly and her friends burned the pictures and disposed of the artist, his spell remained over them and the building. Now, with the arrival of Seth, the evil is active again and uses him to destroy people who threaten it - including, of course - the inquisitive Apryl.
Humourless, two-dimensional, somewhat predicatable and dragging, Apartment 16 is not a book I shall be revisiting or even, perhaps, keeping. ( )
  adpaton | Feb 17, 2012 |
Apartment 16 left me with a feeling that it had been written as the author went along, with some early elements of the story not being explored as the book progressed, at least in a satisfying way.
It revolves around 2 central characters, an American girl who's inherited an apartment in an affluent part of London and a down-on-his-luck artist who works nights in the apartment block.
Strange events and visions are experienced by characters living in apartments in the building, associated with a previous habitant.
I won't take it further than that to avoid spoiling it, but what i will say is that although the book does the tricky part of establishing a unique and unsettling mood and mythology, it is short on true scares.
It is interesting in a nostalgic sense, the author successfully creating histories for his characters which prove to have some relevance to their role in the story (an obvious but overlooked approach to writing a novel it would seem).
However, the scares are generally cliched - visions in mirrors, smells preceding visitations, etc... even though the general atmosphere puts you on edge, nothing that happens in the book will come close to pushing you over it.
There are some well executed moments later, with the disabled wife of a worker at the apartment block, but this sort of creepy approach is under-used.
I give it 4 stars though as it is a decent story, and original in my view, as well as being so deeply conceived that it seems authentic in places. maybe I'm just desensitized to horror and it may scare some, but worth persevering with. ( )
1 vote thejonsoon | Aug 20, 2010 |
The first half of the book for me was a bit clunky and disjointed as two separate main characters sumble through their independent story lines. They are brought together by a large and prestigious building full of luxury appartments filled with faded glory, but it takes them an age to meet and at times I couldn't see how their stories would ever meld: but I'm so glad I stayed with it. As the story began to come together and the bigger picture emerged, I enjoyed it so much and couldn't put the book down at the end.

The premise is really interesting - a painter obsessed with the occult who's demonic pictures drive people insane. Twists and turns bring the characters together into an intense ending and the whole book is totally gripping by the last third. I also really enjoyed the ending - some questions are left unanswered and the good guys don't always win through. I like that as it's less contrived and more believable. I will be checking out other books by Nevill on the back of this one. ( )
  bibliobeck | Jul 4, 2010 |
I would like my pictures to look as if a human being had passed between them, like a snail, leaving a trail of the human presence and memory of the past events as the snail leaves its slime.

Francis Bacon, 1909-1992
For Ramsey Campbell,
Peter Crowther and John Jarrold
When he heard the noise, Seth stopped and stared, as if trying to see through the front door of apartment sixteen, the teak veneer aglow with a golden sheen. (Prologue)

Some doors are better left closed...In Barrington House, an upmarket block in London, there is an empty apartment. No one goes in, no one comes out. And it's been that way for fifty years. Until the night watchman hears a disturbance after midnight and investigates. What he experiences is enough to change his life forever. A young American woman, Apryl, arrives at Barrington House. She's been left an apartment by her mysterious Great Aunt Lillian who died in strange circumstances. Rumours claim Lillian was mad. But her diary suggests she was implicated in a horrific and inexplicable event decades ago. Determined to learn something of this eccentric woman, Apryl begins to unravel the hidden story of Barrington House. She discovers that a transforming, evil force still inhabits the building. And the doorway to Apartment 16 is a gateway to something altogether more terrifying...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:16 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,611 books! | Top bar: Always visible