The Upright Piano Player by David Abbott

The Upright Piano Player (2010)

by David Abbott

2114755,323 (3.59)1 / 40

The synopsis of this book was very misleading. On first glance at the cover and title, I thought it would be a quiet, literary book, but the synopsis made it seem as if it was much more suspenseful. Don't be fooled--take the book at face value and you will be much more satisfied with it.

This was a story of a man in late middle-age and the direction his life takes when impacted by things like his retirement, and the news that his ex-wife is dying of cancer. The pleasure of this book came from those elements that were deceptive in the synopsis--at the same time as he is dealing with these changes, he is also confronted by a strange man who begins stalking him. However, this plot element is not used to drive the plot forward as much as it is used to introduce another element into his life that makes him question everything he believed to be true about himself.

This was a quiet, well-written story, with characters that I enjoyed meeting. ( )
  magerber | Feb 22, 2016 |
The book starts with the telling of a devastating tragedy but once you officially begin the story it returns you to the time prior to this event. You get the full story of who Henry Cage is and his emotional state as well as a very good sense of the characters and how they shape the story. For a debut it is very well written. ( )
  LiteraryChanteuse | Jan 27, 2016 |
Haunting in that I am still replaying the chain of events in my head. The style of writing is suspense subtle. The original storyline pertains to a retiree, told from an interesting angle. The ending was abrupt, perhaps I was waiting for a connection to the title, a confession of sorts. ( )
  paperdust | Apr 30, 2013 |
If this book doesn't break your heart, you don't have one. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
Book Description
Publication Date: June 7, 2011
An adroit first novel of exceptional grace and emotional power by a legendary British ad executive.

“David Abbott’s The Upright Piano Player is a wise and moving debut, an accomplished novel of quiet depths and resonant shadows.” —John Burnham Schwartz, author of The Commoner and Reservation Road

Henry Cage seems to have it all: a successful career, money, a beautiful home, and a reputation for being a just and principled man. But public virtues can conceal private failings, and as Henry faces retirement, his well-ordered life begins to unravel. His ex-wife is ill, his relationship with his son is strained to the point of estrangement, and on the eve of the new millennium he is the victim of a random violent act which soon escalates into a prolonged harassment.

As his ex-wife's illness becomes grave, it is apparent that there is little time to redress the mistakes of the past. But the man stalking Henry remains at large. Who is doing this? And why? David Abbott brilliantly pulls this thread of tension ever tighter until the surprising and emotionally impactful conclusion. The Upright Piano Player is a wise and acutely observed novel about the myriad ways in which life tests us—no matter how carefully we have constructed our own little fortresses.

My comment: TOO DEPRESSING!! OMG, the poor man; nothing uplifting about this book at all. ( )
  camtb | May 21, 2012 |
The consequences of our actions take hold of us, quite indifferent to our claim that meanwhile we have improved. -- Nietzsche.
the snow doesn't give a soft white damn Whom it touches. -- E.E. Cummings
For Eve
Hij wist dat het onvergeeflijk was om in zijn oude landrover naar de begrafenis te rijden, maar hij had geen ander vervoer.
He knew it was unforgiveable to drive to the funeral in the old Land Rover, but it was the only transport he had.

Ian McEwan fans, take note! The Upright Piano Player is a wise and acutely observed novel about the myriad ways in which life tests us—no matter how carefully we have constructed our own little fortresses. Written by a legendary British advertising man, who will soon be inducted into the Advertising Hall of Fame, this book is a labor of love, written with the utmost care and grace.

A man who seems to have it all, but as he faces retirement, his life begins to unravel, and a violent act escalates into mysterious harassment.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible