Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files by…

Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files (edition 2011)

by Jim Butcher

Member:jmchshannon
Title:Side Jobs: Stories from the Dresden Files
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc Trade (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 432 pages

Side Jobs by Jim Butcher

English (65)  Piratical (1)  All languages (66)

*squealing in fangirlish glee!*
I was so glad to find this. I love the series, but was always so disappointed to miss out on the short stories and novellas. Like in the short "It's my Birthday Too." I love the fact that you see more creature features in the shorts.
The very last story was a spoiler for me because I didn't know that I needed to read past the 11th book. So I'm automatically off to reading book 11.
But where in the Hell's Bells can I read about the Fungus demons?
Cheers people! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
If you are a fan of the Dresden Files, you will appreciate the title of this collection of short stories based on the series as each of the stories falls between the time spans covered in some of the full-length novels. If you have never experienced the Dresden Files, but still have a taste for the supernatural, this is a great way to sample the series. Be aware, though, that if you are not a regular you may be a little lost as to some of the relationships.

Over all I have to rate this anthology as very good, just short of excellent, in fact. Ironically, my favorite story, Aftermath, is the one that keeps me form giving the anthology full marks. In the Dresden Files chronology, Aftermath takes place right after the novel Changes . . . and I mean right after the end of that book. If you have not read the full-length novel, you may be real lost as to what’s happening as it is hard to imagine a Dresden File story without Harry. In the anthology, this story is at the end of the collection, so you will have some basis for what’s going on, but it may be vague.

Some very early Dresden stories are included and while they are diamonds in the rough by comparison to the current style, the character comes through just fine. Very nice background material. I also enjoyed finding out how Thomas feels about his brother and the relationship Harry wants for both of them.

For fans of the Dresden Files, this is truly essential reading. If you are a fan of tales a little out of the ordinary, and don’t really expect your vampires to glow, this is also for you. As I said, just short of excellent, so I have no problem calling this four and a half stars. ( )
  PghDragonMan | Mar 12, 2014 |
There are no words for how much I love Murphy. No words at all. ( )
  iliadawry | Feb 6, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this collection of stories from the Dresdenverse. I'm not a big fan of anthologies so I hadn't read any of them previously. It's always harder to rate a collection of stories and this is no exception. Some of them are incredibly moving. In particular Aftermath (do not read until reading Changes) told from Murphy's POV had me in tears at one point. I also loved The Warrior. I'm not even Christian but Michael's faith and the way it makes him a better, stronger and more compassionate person speaks to me. I also enjoyed the story told from Thomas's POV. Day Off was particularly amusing. I wouldn't start here in the series, I think these are better for knowing the world they take part in and getting a bit of a different view of it. I'm almost sad that I'm nearly caught up with this series. I may just turn around and start from the beginning again. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
Very enjoyable. Nice background stories, plus the fun of new adventures. ( )
  libgirl69 | Nov 13, 2013 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I struggled to hold on to the yowling child while fumbling a quarter into the pay phone and jamming down the buttons to dial Nick's mobile.
If knowledge is power, then it follows that ignorance is weakness.
It was always good to get as much thinking done as you could, before the actual mind-boggling crisis came down. That way, when it got there and you only had half a second to decide what to do before something from beyond the borders of sanity started ripping at your soul, you could skip the preliminaries and go straight to the mistake.

Contents:
  • "Restoration of Faith"
  • "Vignette"
  • "Something Borrowed"
  • "It's My Birthday, Too"
  • "Heorot"
  • "Day Off"
  • "Backup"
  • "The Warrior"
  • "Last Call"
  • "Love Hurts"
  • "Aftermath"

Here, together for the first time, are the shorter works of #1 New York Times bestselling author Jim Butcher -- a compendium of cases that Harry Dresden and his cadre of allies managed to close in record time. The tales range from the deadly serious to the absurdly hilarious. Also included is a new, never-before-published novella that takes place after the cliff-hanger ending of the new April 2010 hardcover, Changes.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,313,984 books! | Top bar: Always visible