dismiss

Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the…

Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream (original 2010; edition 2010)

by David Platt (Author)

Examines the ways in which the gospel is contradicted by the American dream and challenges Christians to join in a one-year experiment in authentic discipleship that promises spiritual transformation through the word of God.
Member:JaredMarkJenkins
Title:Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream
Authors:David Platt (Author)
Info:Multnomah (2010), Edition: 1, 240 pages

Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt (2010)

Most of the book is difficult to read, not because of the language, but the content really hits home. It was a great book on establishing how we have "Americanized" Jesus and this book sets us right. I think he does go to extremes on the mission work (though it is incredibly important) but that is the reason is wasn't a full-five stars. In truth, I wish I could have given it 4.5 stars. Really good book. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
This book was a real eye-opener as to how my family thought about and spent our money. It amazes me to think about how much my family spends on trivial things each year, when millions of people are homeless, hungry, and in need. If we spend our lives comparing ourselves to the American dream instead of making Christ our mark to which to measure our success by, then we aren't living the Christian life in the way Christ wanted us to. Absolutely loved this book. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
What is Jesus worth to you?

It's easy for American Christians to forget how Jesus said his followers would actually live, what their new lifestyle would actually look like. They would, he said, leave behind security, money, convenience, even family for him. They would abandon everything for the gospel. They would take up their crosses daily...

But who do you know who lives like that? Do you?

In Radical, David Platt challenges you to consider with an open heart how we have manipulated the gospel to fit our cultural preferences. He shows what Jesus actually said about being his disciple--then invites you to believe and obey what you have heard. And he tells the dramatic story of what is happening as a "successful" suburban church decides to get serious about the gospel according to Jesus.

Finally, he urges you to join in The Radical Experiment--a one-year journey in authentic discipleship that will transform how you live in a world that desperately needs the Good News Jesus came to bring.
  OCMCCP | Jan 15, 2018 |
So I read this book after reading it's sequel, "Radical Together." As I expected, this is the better book of the two. Unfortunately the two books are too similar for me to enjoy this book as much as I may have otherwise. Here are some of my general thoughts on this book (more reflections than a book review):

1. David Platt manages to write in a humble, and engaging way. He tells stories about what his church is doing and the steps that they are taking to follow Jesus and to accomplish his mission in the world. It is true that this not the best written book in the world, but it is hard to dislike Platt's genuineness and eagerness to be faithful to the gospel in the mega-church context he found himself in.

2. The stuff that Platt is pushing people towards is good stuff. This book ends with a challenge to for one year to: pray for the entire world, read the entire Bible, sacrifice money for a specific purpose, spend time in another context, and to commit one's life to a multiplying community. Having taken up such challenges in the past, I agree that giving a year of one's life to these types of things are life changing and will enlarge your faith, your heart, and your eyes to see where God is at work.

3. Platt writes from the perspective of a conservative evangelical. this is who he is and the lens by which he looks at the world. This is not bad but occasionally it means that his concept of the gospel and social issues are skewed because of it. This is a great book to get someone thinking globally, about caring for those in need, about evangelism and world missions. What is missing is analysis of systemic injustice, and the way the 'powers' skew our vision. Platt urges activism and mission, but in places his vision could be more communal, holistic and sacramental. I feel like if I were to enact his program, I would burn myself out unless there was also a context of nurture, community and continual encounter with the grace of God. Not saying Platt is against any of this, but it is not articulated here. Thus, I think that despite the many good things he advocates for, a wholesale embrace of his program, can still be one dimensional. I have been where he is and I want more (but not less!).

4. Platt does a good job of challenging the typical individualism, me-first-ism and consumerism of American Christianity. This is frankly amazing as a mega-church pastor. So though, I can think of a number of authors who are more prophetic and incisive in their critique, they are often voices from the margins. It is refreshing to hear a spokesperson who is a successful middle-class white pastor of a wealthy church with a multi-million dollar facility raising this critique. Ultimately I think Platt could and should be more 'radical' than he is (in either sense of the term radical), but this is someone who seems on the right road.

5. Evangelicals are widely reading this book. That is exciting. The growing trend towards awareness of social justice by Evangelicals is an exciting development which signals a shift from the Gnosticism which evangelicals are tempted toward. The Kingdom of God is not a purely spiritual institution but one in which the church brings to the world, in part, through their care for the physical needs of the watching world. Could this book say more about social justice, creation care, etc? Absolutely, but I like that Platt doesn't overspiritualize everything.

6. There are some points of theology where I disagree with Platt and think he oversimplifies things, but I like his overall thrust.

Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
To Heather, my beautiful bride and best friend
"The youngest megachurch pastor in history."

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

David Platt's book Radical was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,246,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible