Lilah by Marek Halter
204657,485 (3.19)3

I came home from my last trip to the library with an armful of books based on Bible stories. I guess because it was close to Easter. This one was okay. I read the first book in the trilogy but I missed the second one. I don't think it mattered though; they're all about different women in the Old Testament. I didn't relate to Lilah very well and the ending left me outraged. I don't remember the lesser-known Old Testament stories very well, but did that really happen? I'm going to have to look it up. Anyway, the writing was a little weak. I wound up poring over the title page and publishing info to see if it had been translated from a different language. ( )
  JG_IntrovertedReader | Apr 3, 2013 |
397BC - my memory of history lessons of that time are pretty vague. It seems pogroms & massacres of all sorts went on then as they do now. Sections 1 & 2 are pretty much a love story/triangle - the 3rd part was in direct contrast. Bloody hateful stuff borne out of religious conformism. Fairly shocked me. Jews killing their wives and children who were not fully genetic Jews.

1 of 18 books for $10 today 5.12.2012 ( )
  velvetink | Mar 31, 2013 |
Disappointing

I was disappointed in this book. I read Sarah, and thought it was great. Zipporah was almost as good....this was not nearly as good. If you have read the other 2, you will probably want to read this, but if not....don't bother.

The story is loosely based on the book of Ezra. I'm not sure Lilah is actually mentioned in the Bible, and I can't find her. The book started out very slowly, got interesting enough to continue about halfway through, but had a sudden and horrible ending. Very unsatisfactory!

If this were submitted for a writing class and I was the instructor, I'd be handing it back with big red marks saying, "please try again Marek, I KNOW you can do better!" ( )
  Time2Read2 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Liked the history, the picture of the time period. Did not like the woman written by a male author who didn't have the feel quite right. Or the plot that never came to a climax but just dwindled away in the end. ( )
  shifrack00 | Jan 25, 2009 |
This is not even close to being as good a read as the first two. I got the feeling that Mr Halter was just in hurry to finish writting his trialge. Its a shame really. ( )
  vtmom13 | Jul 1, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0739311743, Audio CD)

Set in the magnificent culture of the Middle East more than four thousand years ago, Lilah is a rich and emotionally resonant story of faith, love, and courage.

Living in exile, Lilah is in love with Antinoes, a Persian warrior. They have known each other since they were children, and Antinoes dearly wants to make Lilah his wife. Yet Lilah does not feel she can marry without the blessing of her brother, Ezra. She and Ezra are close, and Lilah knows her brother well—he does not want his sister to have a husband outside their faith. Ezra is a scholar of the laws of Moses, and Lilah believes it is her brother’s destiny to lead the Jewish people back to the Promised Land. While Antinoes pressures her to accept his proposal, Lilah realizes that before she can consider her own happiness, it is her duty to help her brother accomplish the seemingly impossible task that is before him.

Lilah is a timeless story of one woman’s stand against intolerance; it will linger in the reader’s mind long after the last page has been turned.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:48 -0400)

"Living in exile, Lilah is in love with Antinoes, a Persian warrior. They have known each other since they were children, and Antinoes dearly wants to make Lilah his wife. Yet Lilah does not feel she can marry without the blessing of her brother, Ezra. She and Ezra are close, and Lilah knows her brother well - he does not want his sister to have a husband outside their faith. Ezra is a scholar of the laws of Moses, and Lilah believes it is her brother's destiny to lead the Jewish people back to the Promised Land. While Antinoes pressures her to accept his proposal, Lilah realizes that before she can consider her own happiness, it is her duty to help her brother accomplish the seemingly impossible task that is before him." "Putting herself in grave danger, and with the help of Antinoes, Lilah wins Ezra an audience with Artaxerxes II, the King of Kings, who grants permission to lead the exiles on their journey back to the Promised Land. After a hazardous trip across the desert, Lilah, Ezra, and the thousands who join them arrive in Jerusalem. But the hardship of rebuilding the Temple takes its toll, and the religious enthusiasm of some turns to extremism. Ezra, listening to the zealots, orders all non-Jewish wives and their children banished from Jerusalem. Lilah, whose love for Antinoes has never wavered, is horrified by this command. She knows she must now choose between her brother and her conscience, which tells her that the time has come to defy him."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,462,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible