After America: Get Ready for Armageddon by…

After America: Get Ready for Armageddon

by Mark Steyn

I love Mark Steyn, but the reason this book only got 4 stars from me is that it is so depressing. And sadly, that isn't Steyn's fault. ( )
  Michael.Pope | Apr 4, 2013 |
Somehow Mr. Steyn makes serious politics and dire detailed statistics, dare I say it, FUNNY. The startling information is enough to make any liberty- and debt-conscious American/Western European cry in their oatmeal if they could only stop laughing long enough at the take-no-prisoners oneliners. Hated that the information is true and terrifying, loved that he had the heart to tell it to us without a lot of PC doubletalk and jumbled up economics-ese. Although I know many condemn it as such, I hesitate to classify this as a "political" book because it really isn't--he torpedoes people on both sides of the blue/red fence and a bunch of others who fall somewhere between or well outside of it. It's just a wake-up call to the evils of an over-sized government we and our allies can't afford. Frankly, I would have considered giving this book a rare "5" if it hadn't been for the title. C'mon Mr. Steyn--the pic, spot-on analysis, and information were enough. Why did you have to stoop to tacky sensationalism by adding the sub-title? I highly recommend this book. I almost wish it was required reading for registered voters, but that would just add another level of bureaucracy. ( )
  dele2451 | Jan 11, 2012 |
After America: Get Ready For Armageddon is Mark Steyn’s sequel to America Alone, and while an interesting and entertaining read, it is dour in its conclusions and predictions. It offers but limited hope that the American People will wake up in time and in sufficient numbers to resuscitate their once great nation. In entertaining and humorous anecdotes, Steyn lays out America’s cultural folly and suicidal course as a great nation, pointing out that what he’s saying is neither new nor some clairvoyant insight but a simple recalling of history. It’s all happened before.
When the Roman Empire fell darkness ensued for hundreds of years, but when the British Empire fell hardly anyone noticed because, Steyn says, America was there to allow for a gentle landing. The transition of power was smooth and America’s actions were much in the manner of a benevolent, democratic giant. However, the theme of After America is that if - or when - America falls, the powers that will likely remain (China, Iran, Russia, etc…) are neither democratic nor benevolent and darkness (lack of individual freedom) will again ensue. A very good read, politically and literarily. Steyn’s command of the language and witty style could make reading your own obituary (or America’s) fun – well, almost. ( )
  Renzomalo | Jan 2, 2012 |
Disappointing. As much as I may agree and be entertained by his commentary, this is too rambling and repetitive.
1 vote jacoombs | Oct 23, 2011 |
Not so incisive as America Alone. Rather a lot of drift in the conclusion. But a good and certainly sobering read. ( )
  RobertP | Sep 5, 2011 |

Argues that President Barack Obama is a dangerous radical who wants not only big government, but the Europeanization of the United States, and explains how citizens can roll back the liberal establishment and return to fundamental American values.

92 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,388,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible