Witch Way to Murder by Shirley Damsgaard

Witch Way to Murder (edition 2005)

by Shirley Damsgaard

Member:comfy_corner
Title:Witch Way to Murder
Authors:Shirley Damsgaard
Info:Avon (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Damsgaard - Ophelia And Abby Mystery BOOK 1

Witch Way To Murder by Shirley Damsgaard

Ophelia and Abby are grandmother and granddaughter. They are also witches, tho the later reluctant and in denial. An instance in their past left Abby’s best friend Brian, dead and is the reason she shuns “the way” she is gifted with. But now the realm is askew, there is a new danger afoot. Fertilizer and anhydrous ammonia are being stolen from farmers. There is a stranger in town who asks too much, looks too hard and plays a bit too unfairly. Then the body shows up.

Abby blames herself for the death of Brian. Since that time, she has shut herself off from physical and emotional contact outside her grandmother. (A fact that is repeated way too often throughout the book.) But current events necessitate the need for a confidant and someone to watch her back. After a few beers, some pizza and a near all-nighter, that need is met.

It's kinda the cliche love/hate relationship between Ophelia and stranger-in-town Rick, but there is so much else going on, you don't mind. Abby & Darci (co-worker at library with Ophelia) are my favorite characters. Fun, bawdy and totally on the ball.

I liked Abby's use of herbs (accurately) and her gentle ways, Ophelia gets on your nerves after a while, Darci..love her, and Rick was a nice add-in. The closer to the climax of the book, the faster the pages turned. It was a one day read, due to the action-filled ending. I sure hope now that Ophelia has accepted life as it is, the next book will be less "woe is me" and more of what made this one exciting. And I do intend to read the next one to see. ( )
  CherylGrimm | Mar 6, 2018 |
I love this series! It reminds me very much of cozy nights spent snuggling with my mom while reading Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books. The biggest difference, of course, is magic! The grandma/granddaughter duo offer great plots, wonderful wit, charming (and depressing) backstory, and happy banter. Affection isn't always fluffy kisses! ( )
  lorikitty | Aug 4, 2017 |

I love mysteries and I love the paranormal, but for some reason paranormal mysteries halfway fail most of the time. Either they’re cheesy and false-feeling or cursed by quirky cuteness so sunny I want to gag instead of grin. Thankfully this was a gem among silly stones, delivering what it teased.

I read this years ago and remember greatly enjoying it, but as time continues, my memory does it work and I forget. Rereading this one because I've been meaning to recapture the fun of it, and also to add another witch book to the Witch and Magic Challenge I'm doing this year, figured it'd be perfect.

My memory didn't fail me on how enjoyable it was - the plot is simple, making it a light and fun read, but it's not boring or cheesy. The main character, Ophelia, works as a librarian in a small town. She has a huge chip on her shoulder, mainly due to horrible events which took place four years ago. Her grandmother, Abby, is the town witch (although no one knows this!), and Ophelia tries as hard as possible to avoid magic and trouble while keeping her anonymity intact. This of course fails as murder hits the town, a nosy reporter who's too interested in her keeps stopping by the library, and fate takes its rightful place.

It's a pure mystery, but it doesn't end up being too deep or complex since the author really only introduces a small number of characters to suspect. The magic is pretty cool, it's unique and subdued. While there are psychic talents, they're not the typical ones. Ophelias is more dream orientated and she's frustrated on figuring out what they mean.

Her dreams about the ballerina are awesome and haunting. I can almost hear the creepy, sad music playing as the girl keeps whirling around and practicing. The authors ability to write well really drove this home, almost like watching a film. Loved it.

Sometimes Ophelias chip-on-the-shoulder was too heavy for me to carry, but she still makes a likeable enough heroine. I also love when heroines in mysteries are librarians, how cool. Who can resist Rick and Darci either? Rick is "hot" in the book but I don't feel attraction or excitement about their relationship, other than hoping just because he's sweet and interesting.

Darci is funny as a sidekick and not the typical one - she cracks me up with her enthusiasm. There were several laugh out loud moments, especially the bedroom closet scene. I suppose we're supposed to really dig the grandmother Abby, but honestly she faded a bit in the background to me.

Wasn't sure if the very ending was the best one, but it wasn't a killer for the enjoyment, but makes you want to read the follow-up. These pages ooze with charm and will appeal to mystery fans everywhere. Hopefully sometime, someday, I'll get the rest of the series and continue the magic.
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Finished glad I'm done, didn't like main characters. Not sure if I will read more, probably yes I have all 7 books in the series.
I'm bored with the main character being all moody bitchy on the males in this book, its been 4 years for our heroine and she still hasnt gotten over her loss of her friend and her clairvoyance of knowing her friends death...ugh...I already started to wander to other books... ( )
  nraichlin | Jan 26, 2016 |
The first in the Abby & Ophelia series.

Ophelia (a librarian who shuns her "gift) meets Rick (a young handsome nosy parker) who claims to be a chemical salesman wanting to sell fertilizer to the local farmers.. There are thefts of large quantities of anhydrous (which is used to make meth)...

Ophelia is having visions of a young ballerina meeting a soldier in a bar...the two of them going to a motel...and the young ballerinas death....

Together Rick & Ophelia stumble upon the decomposed body of a man in the woods.....

Abby tries her best to help Ophelia with guidance via her old world "powers', but Ophelia fights her almost every step of the way.

Once again, it is easy to figure out who the bad guys are...and Rick's continual pursuance of Ophelia, even after she makes it abundantly clear that he should leave her alone, is annoying.

This was an easy read and I'll consider it light entertainment. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

Shirley Damsgaardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elwell, TristanCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
In honor of John McConkey, 1945-2001
A good man, a wonderful husband,
and a great father. Thank you
for having shared your life with me.

Ellen Johnson
My cousin by blood, but my sister by spirit.
Without your encouragement, this book
never would have been written.
Rising panic clenched my stomach.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060793481, Mass Market Paperback)

Bewitched meets Murder She Wrote in this delightful new cozy mystery series featuring Ophelia Jensen, small town librarian and reluctant psychic, and her grandmother Abby, a benevolent witch.

Thirty something Ophelia Jensen wants to live a quiet life as a small town librarian. She's created a comfortable existence with her kooky, colorful grandmother Abby, and if it were up to her, they could live out their days—along with Ophelia's dog Lady and cat Queenie—in peace and quiet. But, to Ophelia's dismay, she and Abby aren't a typical grandmother/granddaughter duo. She possesses psychic powers, and Abby is a kindly witch. And while Ophelia would do anything to dismiss her gift—harboring terrible guilt after her best friend was killed and she was unable to stop it—threatening events keep popping up, forcing her to tap into her powers of intuition. To make matters worse, a strange—yet devastatingly attractive—man is hanging around Ophelia's library, and no matter how many times she tells him she's sworn off men forever, he persists. Soon this handsome newcomer reveals he's following a lead on a local drug ring, and then a dead body shows up right in Abby's backyard. And much as Ophelia would like to put away her spells forever, she and Abby must use their special powers to keep themselves, and others, out of harm's way.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:47 -0400)

Thirty something Ophelia Jensen wants to live a quiet life as a small town librarian. She's created a comfortable existence with her kooky, colorful grandmother Abby, and if it were up to her, they could live out their days along with Ophelia's dog Lady and cat Queenie in peace and quiet. To Ophelia's dismay, she and Abby aren't a typical grandmother/granddaughter duo. She possesses psychic powers, and Abby is a kindly witch. And while Ophelia would do anything to dismiss her gift--harboring terrible guilt after her best friend was killed and she was unable to stop it--threatening events keep popping up, forcing her to tap into her powers of intuition. To make matters worse, a strange yet devastatingly attractive man is hanging around Ophelia's library, and no matter how many times she tells him she's sworn off men forever, he persists. Soon this handsome newcomer reveals he's following a lead on a local drug ring, and then a dead body shows up right in Abby's backyard. And much as Ophelia would like to put away her spells forever, she and Abby must use their special powers to keep themselves, and others, out of harm's way.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,232,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible