Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks by Melissa…

Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks

by Melissa Morgan-Oakes

This book was a revelation to me! I'd only knitted socks using the pattern inside the ball-band before, as a compact passe-temps while backpacking up the Australian East coast by Greyhound. But these designs made my earlier efforts look like poor relatives. Added to the fact that I prefer to knit everything on circular needles, this no-waste method means that you don't lose interest halfway through a pair of socks!

I've adapted the patterns for double-thickness toes, but have yet to work out how to reinforce the heels. I'd have liked to see a bit more advice on casting off loosely enough, but otherwise... it's great! ( )
  Tesca | Aug 24, 2012 |
I am so happy that more authors are coming out with toe-up sock books. Unfortunately, this author only shows one method of doing magic loop socks (make one toe increases, gusset heel, sewn bind-off). That is my only complaint about the book. The pictures are fabulous, showing each step for using the magic loop technique. (This is the only book I know of that shows magic loop toe-up.)

There is a wide variety of patterns--both for solid & variegated yarns. This book has the largest amount of patterns for variegated, hand-painted & self-striping yarn that I have seen. The spiral binding inside the hardcover helps the book to lay flat & open to whatever page you are on while you are knitting. That way you can look at the technique instructions & pictures as you knit.

Overall, I was impressed with this book & happy that I bought it, but I still like Toe-Up! By Chrissy Gardiner & Toe-Up Socks for Everybody By Wendy D. Johnson better. I hope to see more patterns & books for toe-up socks as they are becoming a lot more popular. ( )
  jved267 | Apr 27, 2010 |

Morgan-Oakes revolutionized the world of sock-making with "2-at-a-Time Socks." Now, the author combines the pleasures of toe-up knitting with the convenience of her 2-at-a-time approach in 15 original designs for men, women, children, and babies.--from the publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,119,116 books! | Top bar: Always visible