The Captive Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of…

The Captive Queen: A Novel of Eleanor of Aquitaine (2010)

by Alison Weir

Devil's Brood by Sharon Kay Penman (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: The sequel to Time and Chance
    Time and Chance by Sharon Kay Penman (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Great book of Henry and Eleanor

English (59)  French (1)  All languages (60)
Truly horrible; Eleanor is likely rolling over in her grave. ( )
  Kuglar | Mar 28, 2018 |
Historical fiction is my guilty pleasure - this one didn't quite do it for me. Too much thinking and feeling (from perhaps too modern a perspective?) and not enough action or description - did not feel authentic and engaging in quite the way a historical novel should. ( )
  AriadneAranea | Jan 13, 2018 |
This book was ok but was not great and I usually enjoy the work of Allison Weir more. I wonder if she bit off more than she called chew, trying to cover Eleanor of Aquitaine's life in one book is no mean feat - as a result I don't feel the book goes into enough depth. I would have liked more background and depth on the main historical incidents, rather than the peripheral treatment we got at times. I feel this would have been better treated as either two books or a trilogy. It does give a good feel for quite an incredible marriage, it almost felt like can't live with him, can't live without him. It is almost as if they destroyed each other through their in-fighting.
At times it also had a feel of a romance novel especially in the first part of the book. That said I would not say it was a bad book, I did give it 3 stars (rounded up from 2.5) in the end I am not sorry that I read it but did expect so much more so obviously disappointed.
It has led me to want to read more about Eleanor and the time frame in question. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Sadly this book did not live up to my expectations of Alison Wier. Her other two novels are much better written and more interesting. And I was so excited about this book because I loved Wier's non fiction book about Eleanor and she is my 24th great grandmother. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |

Alison Weirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Franklin, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is the worm that dieth not,
the memory of things past.
—St. Bernard of Clairvaux, De Consideratione
The most persistent hate is that which
  doth degenerate from love.
—Walter Map, De Nugis Curialum
Ah, cruel fate,
How swiftly joy and sorrow alternate!
—Baimbaut De Vaqueyras
Grace Daly Robinson
and my goddaughter,
Eleanor Jane Borman
Paris, August 1151
 Please God, let me not betray myself, Queen Eleanor prayed inwardly as she seated herself gracefully on the carved wooden throne next to her husband, King Louis.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345511875, Hardcover)

Interesting Facts About Eleanor of Aquitaine, from Alison Weir

Eleanor of Aquitaine (1122-1204) is arguably the most important and admired female figure in medieval European history. Captive Queen tells the epic and dramatic tale of this strong and remarkable woman who held her own in a male-dominated world. Eleanor was queen first to Louis VII of France and then to Henry II of England. Her lands comprised half of what is now France, making her the greatest heiress in Europe. The transfer of that landed inheritance, first to France and then to England, set the pattern of European diplomacy and warfare for the next four centuries. Her marriage to Henry II of England, which is the focus of Captive Queen, was one of the most passionate and tempestuous in history. Both Eleanor and Henry were larger-than-life, charismatic characters. Eleanor was a true daughter of the south of France, raised in a society in which women were valued more highly than elsewhere, and morals were lax. She grew up imbued with the culture and poetry of the troubadours, and her beauty was famous. Eleanor’s reputation was notorious, in her own lifetime and increasingly thereafter. She was a sensual woman with little regard for the moral precepts of her day, and she had adulterous affairs with several men, including her uncle and her future father-in-law. Many of the romantic or sinister legends that have attached themselves to Eleanor’s name center upon her rival, Henry’s mistress, Rosamund de Clifford. In this novel, Alison Weir has made creative use of those legends. Eleanor bore eleven children—among them Richard the Lion Heart, renowned as the greatest crusader in Christendom, and the notorious King John, who was forced to sign the Magna Carta. The book’s title derives from the fact that Eleanor was a captive in her marriage, loving and hating Henry at the same time. Later on, having dealt him a bitter betrayal, she would become his captive in very truth. Ultimately, Captive Queen is a searing psychological odyssey, an intense exploration of the character and motives of an extraordinary woman.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:39 -0400)

The author harks back to the twelfth century with a sensuous and tempestuous tale that brings vividly to life England's most passionate and destructive royal couple: Eleanor of Aquitaine and King Henry II. Nearing her thirtieth birthday, Eleanor has spent the past dozen frustrating years as consort to the pious King Louis VII of France. For all its political advantages, the marriage has brought Eleanor only increasing unhappiness and daughters instead of the hoped for male heir. But when the young and dynamic Henry of Anjou arrives at the French court, Eleanor sees a way out of her discontent. For even as their eyes meet for the first time, the seductive Eleanor and the virile Henry know that theirs is a passion that could ignite the world. Returning to her duchy of Aquitaine after the annulment of her marriage to Louis, Eleanor immediately sends for Henry, the future King of England, to come and marry her. The union of this royal couple will create a vast empire that stretches from the Scottish border to the Pyrenees, and marks the beginning of the celebrated Plantagenet dynasty. But Henry and Eleanor's marriage, charged with physical heat, begins a fiery downward spiral marred by power struggles, betrayals, bitter rivalries, and a devil's brood of young Plantagenets including Richard the Lionheart and the future King John. Early on, Eleanor must endure Henry's formidable mother, the Empress Matilda, as well as his infidelities, while in later years, Henry's friendship with Thomas Becket will lead to a deadly rivalry. Eventually, as the couple's rebellious sons grow impatient for power, the scene is set for a vicious and tragic conflict that will engulf both Eleanor and Henry. This is an historical novel that encompasses the building of an empire and the monumental story of a royal marriage.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Alison Weir's book Captive Queen was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,135,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible