The Cookbook Collector: A Novel by Allegra…

The Cookbook Collector: A Novel (edition 2010)

by Allegra Goodman

967None8,912 (3.53)45
Member:mdplante
Title:The Cookbook Collector: A Novel
Authors:Allegra Goodman
Info:The Dial Press (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages

The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman

Recently added byprivate library, goet0095, SueDurham, sojo817, imtiazghori, JaneHuber, missjomarch

English (61)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (62)
The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman was our most recent book club selection that was discussed yesterday. We were all in agreement that it was just sort of "blah".

This is the story of motherless sisters, the older Emily, driven and ambitious is the self-appointed nurturer to younger Jess, a college student and free spirit. Emily's company just went public, is selling stock and she's making a fortune. Jess works part-time at a bookstore and is falling in love with a tree-saving activist. Emily's boyfriend Jonathan is also driven but ruthless towards achieving success. George, the owner of the bookstore where Jess works is an unapologetic bibliophile, a connoisseur of fine things who bristles with Jess's irresponsible attitude.

These two sisters are at the core of the story, however it branches off into different directions where they eventually drop off and aren't mentioned again. We were all in agreement that this book had too many loose ends and perhaps had the author committed to fewer ideas it might have made for a better read.

Another complaint from the group was that none of the characters were all that likable this made for difficultly connecting with them in order to want to continue reading. What I did like is that it took place in Berkeley which is for me is local as well as the sections about the bookstore were the best scenes for me. I wanted this book to be better and feel it had the potential but was unfortunately a disappointing mess. ( )
  missjomarch | Mar 10, 2014 |
One of those books that grabs hold of me and won't let go - I read most over one weekend. The characters are interesting and unique and feel like real people, and the story is engaging. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
I could see in this a book that a lot of people would enjoy, but I wasn't one of those people. Perhaps it would be more appealing to someone who was a young adult during the tech boom and had a better feel for the anticipation and enthusiasm of what it could bring. I enjoyed some of the plot lines, but wanted more from their interactions. ( )
  meganelizabeth | Nov 19, 2013 |
This book was good but it didn't really have a focus. I thought it was going to be about the relationship and lives of two sisters but it focused on so many other characters too. You would be reading a chapter about Jess or Emily and then then next chapter would focus on someone I perceived as a peripheral. I enjoyed the book and was happy with the way it concluded but I just didn't enjoy it as much as I expected to. ( )
  susan.h.schofield | Oct 7, 2013 |
Read right after I read another story about sisters, so maybe that clouded my desire to read ANOTHER one where the mom wrote letters before she died. Also, I have a low tolerance for BAD guys who turn out to be GREAT, and it looked like the key romance was going that way.

So I think my not wanting to read this had nothing to with the craft, the writing, more the plot. ( )
  sarahlouise | Sep 21, 2013 |
Goodman captures the fizz and folly of the dot.com boom with wit and perspicuity...
added by bell7 | editBooklist, Donna Seaman

Rain at last. Much-needed rain, the weathermen called it. Rain drummed the little houses skyrocketing in value in Cupertino and Sunnyvale.

"...a novel about getting and spending, and about the substitutions we make when we can't find what we're looking for..." --inside cover.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible