The Last Boy: Mickey Mantle and the End of…

The Last Boy: Mickey Mantle and the End of America's Childhood

by Jane Leavy

Recently added byprivate library, Mantra, EdGoldstein, nva4bikes, graybeard61, zzshupinga, weber93

Really disappointing read. Too scattered, it could have really benefited from a more narrative style. Leavy's voice didn't seem to come through for most of the work, as it was just page after page of direct quotes. ( )
  ScoutJ | Jul 9, 2014 |
The Mick - a boyhood hero, a remarkable baseball player and a very deeply flawed man. One of the greats on the field and a skunk in most of the rest of his life. Definitely the Last Boy but Leavy hardly made the case for "the End of America's Childhood," whatever that might be. ( )
  namfos | Jul 24, 2013 |
Mickey Mantle was pretty much the idol of every boy who grew up in the 50s and 60s. We all wanted to be him. Now we find out that he really was just a lecherous jerk who could have been the best baseball player of all time had he taken care of himself and not had a number of unfortunate injuries.

This book is well written. I just don't like the Mickey Mantle that it portrays. Leavy is not writing a hatchet job. None of this is new. Still, it is all collected in one place.

"The Last Boy"? No. Really just a continuation of a long line of jerks in the world. ( )
  dougbq | Jul 20, 2013 |
One of the first books I remember reading was a kid's biography of Mickey Mantle, probably written in the late 1950s. The Dodgers and Giants had left New York, and the Yankees were for a few years the only game in town. My father stuck with Duke Snider and the Dodgers, but I switched to the Yankees. I mostly identified with Yogi Berra, perhaps because he was Italian-American and read comic books like me, but what boy who loved baseball didn't admire Mickey Mantle in those days? I remember sitting in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium so I could watch him play center (Yogi was in left field). Who knew all the pain he played through in those days? Until I read this book, I didn't realize how excruciating his emotional pain must have been, more so than the hurting knee and shoulder, or how much pain he inflicted on his wife and children. This is a shocking book, and a complex one. If you value your idols, maybe you should pass it by. If you want to understand an iconic athlete as a human being, read it, it's a masterpiece. ( )
  nmele | Apr 6, 2013 |
Over the years there have been numerous bios written about The Mick. This is the best. Revisiting her April 1983 interview with The Mick throughout the bio makes this venture much more interesting. Leavy departed from the traditional biography by telling Mantle's life story by looking at 21 days in his life that were important. She even revisits the eternal question as to who was best, Willie, Mickey, or The Duke. At one point later on in their lives, the three center field greats are together. Mickey is talking as says that he and Duke don't have any problems being second to Willie. Modern day statisticians look at the careers of The Mick and Willie and give Mick the edge by just a few points. Yes, Mickey Mantle was one of the greatest center fielders and baseball players of the modern era, but since I grew up watching Willie Mays play, in my mind, he's the greatest! ( )
  landlocked54 | Nov 26, 2012 |

Drawing on interviews with friends and family, as well as teammates and opponents, "New York Times"-bestselling author Leavy delivers the definitive account of one of the biggest talents and most tragic figures ever to play baseball--Mickey Mantle.

98 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,946 books! | Top bar: Always visible