Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Collected Stories of Deborah Eisenberg (2010)

by Deborah Eisenberg

215392,381 (4)18
Presents a collection of short stories that portray contemporary American life.

Well I read one story and that's "The Girl Who Left Her Socks on the Floor". It was more than a girl leaving her socks on the floor, it was so much more. I guess the problem I have with short stories is that they are too short. I love getting to know about the characters. I like taking my time. This is a 10-minute read so plus for that. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Nov 16, 2017 |
The Collected Short Stories of Deborah Eisenberg is an omnibus volume consisting of four previously published collections of short stories: Transactions in a Foreign Currency, Under the 82nd Airborne, All Around Atlantis and Twilight of the Superheroes.

The short stories of Deborah Eisenberg are meticulously detailed descriptions of situations in contemporary American life. There is hardly any plot development, but insubsequent volumes, the stories do seem to become more unified and focussed. The stories give very detailed, atmospheric descriptions of American people, particularly from the point of view of women. The style of writing is very feminine.

Having finished three out of four volumes in this omnibus, I quit. I do prefer the later stories over the early stories, and they certainly grow on you, however, over all the stories are boring, and I cannot recall any. ( )
  edwinbcn | Nov 8, 2015 |
Really wonderful, really dense... it took me what, a month to read? Such a fine-tuned literary prism onto the world, you read it and wonder, Why didn't I think of that?

It's funny because I just loved Twilight of the Superheroes when it first came out, but attached to the other collections that came before, it pales a little. The early stuff is so immediate. Anyway, more later... stay tuned. ( )
1 vote lisapeet | Nov 20, 2012 |

Presents a collection of short stories that portray contemporary American life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,445,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible