Midnight Crystal by Jayne Castle

This book was fun and enjoyable. A great mix of romance, mystery, and the paranormal! The author does an excellent job of pulling in elements from past books while making the story original and with depth of its own.

Both Marlowe and Adam were likable fun characters, the romance was steamy hot and exciting, and the adventure was suspenseful and fun!

The "new world" was a bit much for me, and I didn't quite understand the point of the dust bunnies. Some of the characters like "Tucker" and Adam's sister had a murky role in the story, but overall I thought it was well done. It was definitely a fun read along the lines of Jayne's other novels. I'd recommend the book for those who love paranormal romance and adventure and who are familiar with the Dreamlight trilogy. ( )
  Azacia | Dec 8, 2013 |
I love the Arcane Society books but I seem to find that the Jayne Castle books are not my favorites. I can't quite put my finger on why because I love the world of Harmony (especially the dust bunnies - and there's another great one here) but I never connect with the couples from these books the way I do with the historicals or the contemporaries in this series.

Midnight Crystal follows the same basic blueprint as the others in the Dreamlight trilogy, only with Alex and Marlowe the Winters and Jones families finally come together in a romantic way. That was a little underwhelming, which is what makes this a 3 star read instead of a 4 star one. There was so much build up on the Jones/Winters family relationships and Nicholas' revenge that I thought the resolution would be more exciting or tense. Given that, I still liked this book and both leads and this series is always entertaining. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
3.5 stars

The dust bunnies always tip the scale to more stars :) It was great to see a conclusion to the Dreamlight Trilogy. The stars of the books are always the dust bunnies :) I wasn't as invested in these characters, although it was a good read. The overall storyline was fun, and it was great to see the Jones' and the Winters' family finally get together :) ( )
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
It's funny how you can really like one series from an author but just not enjoy another. When those two series are then mixed together it just becomes confusing! I'm not a fan of the Arcane Society books, and to have this be the third in a trilogy set in that world and then it's pulled centuries forward into the Harmony series...it hurt my brain a little. The author successfully wove everything together, but I would have enjoyed it more without the thematic acrobatics. ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
I have been enjoying books by Jayne Ann Krentz (and any of her various other names) for many years, going back into the 1980's. Although they often follow a similar formula she always manages to bring something new a fresh to the story.

This is the third, and final, book in the Dreamlight Trilogy but also the ninth Arcane book and the seventh Harmony book. Takes some serious talent and planning to bring together three different series, keep track of the "history" of all three series and manage to tie up quite a few story lines all in on book!

Since this is a Harmony book and written as Jayne Castle it is set far in the future on a planet colonized by Earth but cut off from it for a few centuries. Some of the rules of the planet earth are similar, many are not, and it is those that aren't that make the stories interesting.

Usually listed as a romance writer I classify her as a romantic suspense writer, and these books have all delivered. Fast paced, unique setting, wonderful characters.

Can't wait for the next book, we get to enjoy Fallon's story. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 31, 2013 |
Jayne Castle also writes Arcane Society novels under her real name of Jayne Ann Krentz and pen name Amanda Quick.

For many earthly centuries, a legendary curse has plagued the Winters family, stemming from the tumultuous founding of the Arcane Society. But now, on the futuristic world of Harmony, the curse’s final mystery will be unraveled...

Adam Winters has enough responsibility as the new head of the local Ghost Hunter Guild without being saddled with the family curse. He’s convinced his recent nightmares and hallucinations will lead to him becoming a psychic rogue -- unless he can find a stolen relic and a woman who can read dreamlight.

Marlowe Jones rides into his life on a motorcycle and with a dust bunny at her side. Though a descendant of the rival Arcane family, she’s just what Adam needs: a psychic private investigator and dreamlight reader extraordinaire.

Together, amid the glowing catacombs and steamy underground jungles of Harmony, Adam and Marlowe must break the curse, save the entire underworld -- and fight a passion that could destroy them both...

Sylvester Jones and Nicholas Winters, founders of the Arcane Society, each sought to enhance their individual psychic talents. Winters' efforts led to the creation of a device called the Burning Lamp. Each generation the Winters man who inherits it is destined to develop multiple talents and the curse of madness. Now, plagued by hallucinations and nightmares, notorious crime lord Griffin Winters is convinced he has been struck with the Winters Curse and sets out to find a cure.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,668,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible