Dear George Clooney: Please Marry My Mom by…

Dear George Clooney: Please Marry My Mom

by Susin Nielsen

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh (foggidawn)
    foggidawn: Both of these books have feisty heroines struggling through that awkward tween phase, making up schemes, getting into scrapes, and delighting their readers.
    Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: a similar story for older readers
    Mission (Un)Popular by Anna Humphrey (foggidawn)
    Betsy Wickwire's Dirty Secret by Vicki Grant (fountainoverflows)

Violet is a very likable character. Call me a sucker but I love a book that takes place in Canada rather than the US. Overall this book was really cute. ( )
  matamgirl | Apr 3, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great book for middle grades. Sweet and funny story. My students love it. ( )
  librarian_k | Mar 8, 2013 |
Set in Vancouver, this was a highly enjoyable read about a teenage girl coping with the divorce of her parents. The protagonist is likeable, believable, and makes mistakes spectacular enough to leave the most jaded reader snickering. I found this book to be very "now" with a plethora of references to current pop culture. In 2012, this was a fun read but by 2017 it will be showing its age. ( )
  lisavanness | Sep 21, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dear George Clooney is, overall, a sweet, funny story. Nielsen takes an okay plot and spices it up with some fantastic characters and writing. I loved Violet and her family, and Phoebe and her family were a hilarious bit on the side. Violet is a believable 12 year-old with believable feelings, and I think that's what makes this book good instead of okay. ( )
  yummyfishmeister | Sep 4, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a lot of mixed feelings going into this book. When I first read its description, I was just kind of like "whatever", then when I saw the cover I was like, "well that's cute", and then when I started reading I was like "this is stupid."But gradually, I got more and more involved with the story and more and more interested in Violet, the main character. Finally, I had to admit that I was enjoying it.Violet truly is a great main character, mature for her age but still very much a twelve-year-old girl. She's funny and depressing and bitter and sometimes she goes too far, but she's always got a reason. By the end of the book, she'd gathered an awful lot of respect from me.This is the kind of book I don't often read because it's not always done well, but when it -is- done well, it's awesome. I start out sympathizing with the main character, always agreeing and always taking her side. But when things start to go out of control, I turn against the main character about the same time that the character herself realizes she's going too far. Character growth.

I would love to see this as a movie with George Clooney.

This strongly reminds me of younger version of Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Aug 22, 2012 |

Violet's TV-director dad has traded a job in Vancouver for one in Los Angeles, their run-down house for a sleek ranch-style home complete with a pool, and, worst of all, Violet's mother for a trophy wife, a blonde actress named Jennica. Violet's younger sister reacts by bed-wetting, and her mother ping-pongs from one loser to another, searching for love. As for Violet, she gets angry in ways that are by turns infuriating, shocking, and hilarious. When her mother takes up with the unfortunately named Dudley Wiener, Violet and her friend Phoebe decide that they need to take control. If Violet's mom can't pick a decent man herself, they will help her snag George Clooney.… (more)

Susin Nielsen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Dear George Clooney, Please Marry My Mom by Susin Nielsen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,126,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible