Lucy Unstrung by Carole Lazar

Lucy Unstrung

by Carole Lazar

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed the sometimes overly-pius Lucy, with her mother in more of the "rebellious teenager" mode. Lucy was well-written and pretty authentic as a character. Refreshing, even.

However, the conclusion left me thinking, "Yeah... that doesn't seem realistic." ( )
  C.Vick | Feb 7, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lucy was born when her mom was 15. Now that Lucy is 13, her mother wants to have her own life. Lucy tries to reconcile this with her family's Catholicism. ( )
  lilibrarian | May 23, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked quirky little Lucy and her adventures with figuring out her new life. I understood what her mom wanted in her life, unlike Lucy, but I don't know she went about it in the right way. I did like how Lucy's dad is obviously not her bio dad and yet that was never addressed since he is her real dad. I hate it when books make a big show about that. This was much more assumptive.

Lucy gets into the usual 13 year old trouble especially as she tries to figure out how to stay at the same school. And to stay friends with her only real friend. This was a short, sweet book that I recommend if you need a few laughs and a good coming of age story. ( )
  thelittlebookworm | Feb 1, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Enjoyable, but nothing special. Lucy is an odd character about whom I couldn't really make up my mind: half the time I'd be rooting for her and half the time she seriously annoyed me. The book is around the reading level for ages 9-13 but apparently for young adults, which is reinforced by the inclusion of some sex talk and drinking. It's a bit of a weird combination and prevents the book from really fitting into either category.

Otherwise, the story wasn't bad and I loved the little dog. The thing that bothered me most, I think, was that Lucy's parents got back together in the end - it just really wasn't realistic, came out of the blue, and seemed to contradict a lot of the book's lessons. ( )
  curioussquared | Dec 18, 2010 |
Reason for Reading: I was intrigued by the Catholic nature of the main character and whether it truly would be a positive portrayal. Not something often found in YA literature.

An astounding novel of an authentic Catholic family dealing with real life issues. Lucy's mom was 14 when she became pregnant with her and now she is 28 and feeling that she needs "a life". As she takes evening classes and such she meets a new worldly friend and it isn't much longer until she separates from her husband and plans a new life for herself for the next four years while she goes back to school. Lucy is 13 and has a solid Catholic upbringing having been raised by her Grandma, and her father is seen as practicing the faith as well. But Lucy is shocked by her mother's new behaviour which seems to contradict so many Church teachings. She learns so much during this time of struggle as her parents sell their house and move into new homes.

I loved this book! Plot-wise, we have a fairly typical story of a young girl trying to deal with her parents separation and all the upheaval and turmoil this causes her personally as she moves with her mom into a trailer park and has to attend a new school, a public school, where she becomes the object of the class bully. But through it all (apart from the separation) the family remains true to their faith and this is what impressed me most about the story and made it so enjoyable along with the humorous touches. The book is not preachy in anyway it simply shows how one faith lives. While the two adults separate and it does seem to be for the long haul divorce is never mentioned this early, we see inside the confessional and what it's really like in there (especially for a young teen), we see Lucy questions her faith as she takes Church teachings to extremes and then seeks guidance and we see her going to mass regularly with both her mom and dad.

A wonderful, refreshing, humorous story that deals with tough issues from a positive Catholic perspective without being religious fiction. There have been many books written about teens dealing with similar issues from Muslim, Jewish, Asian, etc. perspectives and now, finally, the Catholic perspective can also be found. I do highly recommend this for Catholic school libraries and mainstream teens as well, if they can read about a religion not their own while still respecting the persons who believe as they do. I know just the girl I'll be passing this book on to! ( )
  ElizaJane | Nov 28, 2010 |

Thirteen-year-old Lucy, whose mother had her when she was fifteen, tries to hold on to her faith and solve problems on her own while her family deals with a reduced income, her relationship with her best friend becomes strained, and her parents begin arguing over her mom's rebellious acts.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Carole Lazar's book Lucy Unstrung was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,487,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible