Gunner: Hurricane Horse (True Horse Stories)…

Gunner: Hurricane Horse (True Horse Stories) (edition 2010)

by Judy Andrekson, David Parkins (Illustrator)

Member:TundraBooks
Title:Gunner: Hurricane Horse (True Horse Stories)
Authors:Judy Andrekson
Other authors:David Parkins (Illustrator)
Info:Tundra Books (2010), Paperback, 96 pages
Rating:*****

Gunner: Hurricane Horse (True Horse Stories) by Judy Andrekson

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book for LT's Early Reviewers. I think people like my mother (who was really into horses when she was growing up) would absolutely love this book. It is intended for 8 to 12 year olds in my opinion. Personally I loved the weather descriptions the best, as well as Gunner's interactions with Heather's little son. The descriptions of training and showing got a little long. It is a very quick read. ( )
  saffron12 | May 26, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn't ready for this book - I thought that this would be a light, fast read. This idea was reinforced by the illustrations and the short length of the book. I enjoyed the story very much. I found the descriptions of the world of training and showing horses to be accurate and interesting without getting too involved. I found myself laughing and crying. I had no idea that the story would take ahold of my heart the way it did. I was not prepared for the end of the story and the dedication. It's a great read - be ready with the tissue. ( )
  DragonLibrary8 | Mar 6, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a horse lover, I fell in love with this book right from the beginning. The story of Gunner and his owner touched me immensely. I don't want to give away the entire plot behind the story, but suffice it to say Gunner went through more than one ordeal. After reading this, I want to go out and ride through the pastures on a beautiful little Paint horse. This book seems as though it is geared mostly toward children, though I can say that at the age of 25 I still very much enjoyed it. ( )
  sealford | Mar 5, 2011 |
I approached Gunner Hurricane Horse with some trepidation as I'm not particularly interested in the lives of horses and, while I like animals, I don't consider myself to be an 'animal lover.' In fact, Gunner Hurricane Horse is a compelling true story that will appeal to young readers on many levels. Gunner was a very young and unkempt American Paint Horse when he arrived on Heather Lott-Goodwin's ranch, He challenging his trainers and was constantly getting into trouble of one sort or another.

As Gunner learns, grows and matures, we come to know his personality and those of the people who helped to shape him into a World Champion. We care about Heather Lott-Goodwin, her husband and her young son. When Hurricane Katrina passes directly over the ranch, we learn about the challenges faced by Heather as an emergency room nurse, the difficulty in coping for those who remained at the ranch as well as the incredible damage inflicted by the storm.

Highly recommended as a read-aloud or for independent readers aged seven and up.
  storytimestandouts | Nov 24, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was great! It was easy to read and was a touching story. I enjoyed it as an adult and I know my students (4th graders) would love it as well. The book was easy to read and the story was appropriate for young readers. ( )
  reneemrobbins | Nov 1, 2010 |
Dedicated to my Nanny, Ina York. I want to see the funny side of life forever, just like you do.
Heather Lott-Goodwin disliked the homely, potbellied runt of a colt from the first moment she watched it leap awkwardly off the trailer after it's mother.

At first an unruly foal, Gunner grows into a smart and beautiful show horse, whose troublemaking ways hide a devotion to his family that shines through, until disaster strikes in the form of Hurricane Katrina.

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Gunner: Hurricane Horse by Judy Andrekson was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,352,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible