The Walking Dead, Book One by Robert Kirkman

The Walking Dead, Book One

by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard (Illustrator), Tony Moore (Illustrator), Cliff Rathburn (Illustrator)

English (35)  Dutch (1)  All (36)
The great thing about this title, humm? No one is safe! When zombies are all over the place there's only one thing to do, survive. After so many years of characters coming back to life, sort of taking away the feeling that life matters, this amazingly written, fantastic black and white drawings ongoing series deserves to be read. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
Wow . Me llevo muchísimo mejor con la serie (a pesar de sus fallas) .

Pero , bue , tenemos que ser agradecidos con esta creación . Es la que dio inicio al incendio ... y Shane muere mucho antes ... ( )
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
Okay, this is the one. The one that you could say I pulled at this time for no other reason than to inflate my numbers at the end of the year. But, of course, I still had this book on my shelf. Actually, I have no idea how years went by before I finally read it. I mean, it's a little embarrassing.

So, horror isn't usually my thing. But then, I like it better in a book than I do in a movie. And I had a more than reasonable expectation that I would like this, as I'd read a few of the individual comics that make up this volume, back when I could still almost justify regular trips to the comic book store as a reasonable use of my time. I know that picking up this series now, now that it has been a tv series for a season or two or three is nigh inexcusably late in the game -- but as always, better late than never, right?

What I like about this story (so far -- this is clearly just the first installment in a series that has had a significant life), is that it blatantly skips over the parts it isn't interested in. Our main character is shot in a police standoff (he's one of the cops), then wakes up from his coma in a hospital that's apparently been abandoned. Until he opens the door to the cafeteria and it's full of zombies. The whole emergence of the plague, panic, government response, the overwhelming of the response, is only related briefly to our guy, Rick, in "how I got here" stories when Rick meets other people. Theories about how this started or how people turn into zombies? None. Bitter but secretly hopeful scientists working on a cure? None. There is only the grind. Slow, not terribly intelligent, easily overwhelmable zombies whose only chance of getting to eat your tasty tasty flesh is surprise, or overwhelming numbers. Oh, and one bite will infect you. And firing a shotgun seems to trigger a swarming response. That's the set-up. Go.

So, how do you survive? You need the cooperation of other people, but other people's brains have differing abilities to grasp this new normal. What can you count on now that so many rules have changed?

I will definitely be following this a little ways. ( )
  greeniezona | Sep 20, 2014 |
I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I liked the television series better than the book. Maybe I felt like everything was going fast because I watched the series first before reading this so I know what's gonna happen and who's gonna die and stuff. But I still liked the book though. Looking forward to reading the second book. :) ( )
  PamZaragoza | Jun 27, 2014 |
Here we have the first twelve issues of The Walking Dead. This is where the phenomenon started, and it's easy to see why it took off the way it did.

I love Kirkman's concept, a long-term look at the zombie apocalypse. Sure, we've all seen what happens in the movie, but what happens when the movie ends? That's exactly what Kirkman wanted to explore, and comics was the perfect medium for it (and television, as it turns out).

Well paced, exceptionally well written, and some outstanding artwork. Dubbed "a continuing story of survival horror," and it leaves you glad the story continues. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Apr 16, 2014 |

Robert Kirkmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adlard, CharlieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, TonyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Rathburn, CliffIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Please do not combine with The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1, The Walking Dead Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye or The Walking Dead Volume 1 Deluxe HC. The "volumes" are trade paperbacks which collect 6 issues, while the "books" are hard covers which collect 12 issues, the "Deluxe HC" collects 24 issues and the "compendium" collects 48 issues.

Police officer Rick Grimes is shot on the job and wakes up a month later to find that the world that he knows is gone. Zombies have taken over and are killing and eating those who are still alive. He sets out toward Atlanta in the hope that his family is still alive and endures many horrors along the way.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,514,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible