Dawn on a Distant Shore by Sara Donati

Dawn on a Distant Shore

by Sara Donati

Recently added bytaxonet, janice.wile, bethany.boyle, loulac, mizdarlin, jhblanch, wanderland, kayfray, private library

English (16)  Spanish (1)  All languages (17)
So I should definitely explain why I'm only giving this book a 3. I loved Into the Wilderness because it fit precisely into the very narrow window of my kind of book - which involves a historical love story of two people meeting and falling in love. Obviously Dawn on a Distant Shore could never fit into that window, for the simple reason that that part of the story already happened in ITW. I knew this going into DOADS, but I periodically try to break out of my narrow window and, given how much I loved ITW, I thought this had a good shot. But the entire time I just wanted to see more of Elizabeth and Nathaniel's relationship (which it did have a fair amount of, but not the part that I enjoy and woven into so much else going on). Understandably the author had started to move beyond just them and their relationship - and again, to be fair, she had already sepnt 900 pages on that in ITW - apparently that just wasn't enough for me! :)

I also loved the setting of ITW in the NY wilderness in the late 18th century and DOADS takes the Bonners to Montreal, sailing acorss the Atlantic and then Scotland. Almost no time is spent in NY.

DOADS is more of an adventure story than ITW was. The narrative also switches from Elizabeth to Hannah quite a bit. As I understand it, the following books focus more on Hannah so it makes sense that Donati is setting that up.

Another small (tiny really) problem I had was the plot line with Luke which gelt a little rushed/tacked on onto the end. That never felt completely developed to me.

All of this said, DOADS is a well written (although the Scots was a little hard to understand sometimes, I've read better accents before)and entertaining book and I can totally understand why most other people have given it 4s and 5s. For me though, I was missing Elizbaeth and Nathaniel as they fell in love and kept taking breaks to go back to ITW and reread my favorite parts from that. ( )
  emmytuck | Sep 27, 2013 |
I am so glad I returned to this book and series! After having dnfed it several years after reading about 20% of the print book, I started this book over by audio. The narration is done really well and the story is strong, complex and interesting. The beginning is definitely slow, but after the first 20% I was hooked. Great historical novel. ( )
  ReginaR | Aug 3, 2013 |
I love this whole trilogy. The writing is superb. The characters are enchanting, entrancing, entertaining and totally fleshed out. There are so many interesting things going on in the era that it takes place -- Indians, Slaves, Catholicism in Scotland...but most of all I love this series for it's herbal folk medicine. ( )
  Clueless | Jul 8, 2013 |
I love these stories for the mood and the daydream fodder, though the story itself seems to slip past me with little impact. Reminiscent of the Diana's Norman and Gabaldon, an engrossing adventure. On to the next one! ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
I read Into the Wilderness on the recommendation of a friend and I fell in love. The second book in the series did not disappoint. I love the dynamic between Elizabeth and Nathaniel, and the development of all of the main characters is superb. They are all human, flaws and character traits and all, which is what makes them so appealing.
In this book they set sail for Scotland, unwillingly, and they take the reader along for quite an adventure. ( )
  KerriL | Apr 6, 2011 |
She discovered with great delight that
one does not love one's children just because
they are one's children
but because of the friendship formed
while raising them.

--Gabriel García Marquez
For my daughter,
Elisabeth
In the middle of a blizzard in the second half of the hardest, snowiest winter anyone in Paradise could remember, Elizabeth Middleton Bonner, sweat soaked, naked, and adrift in burning pain, wondered if she might just die of the heat.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553578553, Mass Market Paperback)

Sara Donati's novel Dawn on a Distant Shore picks up soon after the conclusion of her prior book, Into the Wilderness. In the winter of 1794, on the edge of the New York wilderness, Elizabeth and Nathaniel Bonner have settled into the comforts of domestic bliss. Typically, however, adventure seeks these two out. Alone but for her stepdaughter Hannah, Elizabeth gives birth to twins, while Nathaniel and his father Hawkeye are imprisoned in Montreal. Determined to help her men, Elizabeth packs up the children and sets off to free them. Liberty does not bring relief to the Bonner clan, however, as sinister forces conspire to pirate them to Scotland and embroil them in a complex family feud.

History and adventure are slathered on thickly throughout this epic tale. Donati's talent for dialect and detail bring the large cast of characters to life, though the steady pace of dramatic catastrophe is somewhat exhausting. Will our heroes never get a break? Fans of Donati's earlier work will enjoy seeing the familiar characters, but new readers would benefit by reading the books in the series in order. --Nancy R.E. O'Brien

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:55 -0400)

Elizabeth Bonner travels across Canadian wilderness and waterways with her two small children to rescue her husband Nathaniel from the crown officials who have imprisoned him as an American spy.

Sara Donati is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,034,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible